View Diary: Smoking Gun Emails Released in Texas Gerrymandering Trial (135 comments)

•  If you are going to blame GOP bad acts on the (36+ / 0-)

President you need to get your facts straight.  Federal judges are not routinely replaced when an opposing party wins the WH.  Federal Judges are appointed for life and can only be removed by impeachment.

When you blame the President for not firing federal judges with lifetime appointments you start to sound like the Tea Partiers who imagine all kinds of nefarious plots by the President.  If you want to say that he hasn't appointed enough progressive candidates to empty seats that would be fair.  If you want to say that Republicans have blocked even his most conservative appointments that would be fair.  But to spout completely wrong information to get your digs in about the President makes your dislike for the President sound ignorant and unhinged.  To further indicate just how wrong you are do you really think that all federal judges could have been appointed and then replaced during the very short period of time that there were majorities (if there were) in the House and Senate?

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 01:46:26 PM PDT

•  OK, He Didn't Fire US Attorneys (9+ / 0-)

You're right, the poster was wrong: the president can't replace judges.

But indeed Obama did fail to replace all the Republican US Attorneys who Rove and Bush/Cheney installed throughout the country. Not only was that a dramatic reversal of completely accepted and understandable practice, but in the wake of the Republicans' unprecedented politicization of the "Justice" Department it was perhaps the most unwarranted reversal.

And I use the word "unwarranted" deliberately for the pun.

When appointing (and retaining through today) Eric "Too Big to Jail" Holder to lead all those prosecutors, Obama established his most important governing policy: protect all the perpetrators of the Bush/Cheney crime waves from prosecution. Retaining the Republican prosecutors was instrumental in that policy.

So let's not hammer too hard on the fact that Obama failed to clean house like we elected him to do. It's no cause for pride.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 03:15:24 PM PDT

•  Way to shift the goalposts. (16+ / 0-)

This started as a comment that there was no Judge or US Attorney to prosecute for Ohio because the President failed to fire them and replace them with other people.  That was wrong-- demonstratively wrong.  If you read my comment again you will note that I said if there were other, legitimate complaints, you'd not get an argument from me.  But I object to people twisting the truth or simply making up lies because they want something to be the President's fault.  I find it repugnant among the tea party and I find it particularly distasteful among alleged progressives whom I like to think are better informed than your average tea party black President hater.  But what it really says to me is that the hatred of the President is not based on reality or on anything that he has done or failed to do.  It is based on something not grounded in fact or reality.  And that is not progressive, liberal or left.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 03:26:06 PM PDT

•  Unfortunately (2+ / 0-)
          Wordsinthewind, lostboyjim

this poster is somewhat notorious for being a firebreathing Obama hating lefty.

This is your world These are your people You can live for yourself today Or help build tomorrow for everyone -8.75, -8.00

by DisNoir36 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 04:02:46 PM PDT

•  Well I sort of object to the designation of lefty (8+ / 0-)

I refuse to allow people who do nothing but complain about the President, democrats and other progressives to call themselves "the left".  Their disdain for pragmatism and reality gives them away.  People who have true leftist tendencies have almost always been involved in working for progressive policy.  And people who have been on the ground doing the work understand compromise and the reality of what progressives are up against.  So complaining does not make you a "lefty".  Making up stuff to complain about certainly doesn't.  And if you aren't making it up then you have made a mistake.  And if you have such strong policy opinions based on your own mistaken understanding of reality you ought to rethink a lot of your other opinions as well.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 04:51:45 PM PDT

•  The "Left" (0+ / 0-)

I didn't call myself "the left". The twaddler you're talking with called me that, intended as an insult.

I work for progressive policy. I worked to get Obama elected twice. I have been involved in governments in both the US and Canada, local/county/municipal/state/provincial. I have probably had far more of an effect getting progressive policies installed for governing far more people than you ever will. If not, I salute you for that - but I refuse to be lied about the way you did.

I didn't make any stuff up. I corrected the poster's attitude that "just failing to change the attorneys was OK" - when it wasn't. It wasn't.

I didn't work to elect Obama to see him make permanent some of the worst policies of Bush/Cheney - but that's what I got. I have every right to complain about it.

I don't have to justify anything I say to you. But what I do is fully righteous, and I don't let people spew nonsense about it setting you straight.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 06:45:31 PM PDT

•  Fair enough. You are right. I don't know if (3+ / 0-)
                DocGonzo, ericlewis0, Deep Texan

you refer to yourself as being left of others or not.  And it's unfair of me to take someone else's word for it.  If you have worked for progressive policy then you know what I'm talking about.  I agree that we have the right to complain. (Look at my original comment in this thread where I point out reasons to complain about the President's federal judge appointments)  I simply don't think the original commenter should be let off the hook even if it was a mistake.  It diminishes the real complaints that all of us are entitled to when it comes to the President and Democrats when people make up reasons to fault the President.  And while you are right that you don't have to justify yourself to me I appreciate that you set me straight because it gives me the opportunity to apologize for things I don't mean and clarify the things I do.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 07:01:07 PM PDT

•  OK (2+ / 0-)
                  stellaluna, raspberryberet

Thank you for apologizing for going too far.

But I never said that the original poster (who said Obama could have fired judges) was right. Indeed I replied to your comment replying to them by first saying

You're right, the poster was wrong: the president can't replace judges.

I didn't move any goalposts. What I did was clarify that while Obama didn't have the option of firing judges, he did have the option of firing those prosecutors, and he didn't. Because that was the very serious failure that the original poster got wrong in misapplying to this case.

It is important to remember that Obama's presidency is based on failing to actually change, through actual changes, the worst actions of Bush/Cheney. He institutionalized what could have been treated as a fluke, a product of a presidency created by a corrupt Supreme Court contrary to the votes of the electorate and the general practice of the country. That is a very real complaint that cannot be diminished. Certainly not when someone makes wild accusations of me and my politics, and my supposed "notoriety" for it.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 07:23:14 PM PDT

•  I'm proud to be a lefty (1+ / 0-)
              Patango

We're the only sane, honest people left in political activism.

Money is property, not speech. Overturn Citizens United.

by Betty Pinson on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 10:43:03 PM PDT

•  You're a Firebreathing Whatever (2+ / 0-)
            Betty Pinson, sidnora

Whatever I'm "notorious" for, I'm not an "Obama hating" whatever. I do hate plenty of the things he's done - or rather, not done that I rightly expected him to do. And I'm not afraid to say so. Voting for Obama twice and getting people to the polls to beat the alternatives has earned me more than my share of the right to be disappointed by him.

You can try to kill the messenger telling the truth about Obama's failures. But that doesn't change Obama's failures. It just exposes your own.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 06:35:06 PM PDT

•  You Moved the Goalposts (1+ / 0-)
          Betty Pinson

When you referred to Obama's leaving the Republican US Attorneys in place as if that weren't a terrible problem, that was you moving them. If you'd actually acknowledged that it was a terrible move in its own right nothing more needed to be said. But you didn't, and I did. And now you're attacking me, and even implying that I'm twisting the truth or worse - and denying my place in the political spectrum.

You're wrong.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 06:47:38 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry, I did not mean to imply that you were (2+ / 0-)
            ericlewis0, Deep Texan

twisting the truth.  I truly was still commenting on the original comment.  While it is customary for all US Attorneys to submit their resignations it is not customary for the President to accept them.  In fact, it would pretty much wreck havoc on the federal court system to have new bosses every four years.  And to have the job of the chief prosecutor for a district completely politically dependent.  That is why there was such an uproar when Bush did it in a few cases.  I personally don't think the President should have "fired" all GOP appointed US Attorneys just because Bush did it.  And I don't think it would actually accomplish much if he did.  As pointed out elsewhere in the comments to this diary, the commenter above's complaint about Ohio is unfounded.  We do have a problem with federally appointed judges under GOP presidents.  But that can't in any way be attributed to President Obama.  I'm fine with criticizing him for what he has done and failed to do.  I am not fine with criticisms that are not based in fact or reality.  When a commenter blames the President for not "firing" federal judges or US Attorneys and also implies that gerrymandering and voter suppression is thus his fault, I do find it offensive.  It seems just like the ignorant complaints by the lunatic right who hate him for reasons that have nothing to do with reality.  Progressives can do better.  I'm sorry if I made it seem like I thought you had the same opinion and the commenter that started this thread and I apologize for it.  I do stand by my opinion that leaving GOP appointed US Attorneys in place is not the cause of problems with voting rights not being challenged.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 07:15:24 PM PDT

•  Obama's Fault (1+ / 0-)
              pengiep

The reason US Attorneys can be fired by incoming presidents is because they are integral to the practice of justice, and are subject to the choice of the voters of whose kind of justice that should be. The continuity of bosses in prosecutor offices is secondary, far secondary, to the democratic election. If workers don't like it, they can find a job in the private sector - which most do. Where they get different bosses more than once every 4 years. Or rather every 8 years (or even 12), which has been the practice for many decades.

If ever there was a time to change prosecutors, it certainly was when we elected Obama after 8 years of Bush/Cheney politicizing the "Justice" Department more than perhaps it ever was. That is precisely why we presidents have that option. And precisely why we elected Obama: we were told to hope for change like that.

As I first said, it's true the original poster was wrong about replacing judges. But it's bad enough Obama didn't replace prosecutors. It's not just an oversight. It's part of Obama's entire approach to justice in the US: status quo. The former pot smoker keeps the Federal government prosecuting pot crimes even in states legalizing it. The former Constitutional law professor leaves the telcos immune to warrantless wiretap prosecution under the Fourth Amendment, and builds up the universal spying on every American, while expanding Cheney's assassination teams into drone executions of Americans. The man elected by a landslide literally during the greatest economic crash in history appoints and keeps Eric Holder, the author of the policy not to prosecute big execs because of the "collateral damage". The "Change You Can Believe In" candidate leaves Bush/Cheney's deliberately inserted corrupt Republican prosecutors (to say nothing of all of his Secretaries of Defense).

And then we have the direct consequences: jails still full of marijuana "criminals", but empty of criminal execs. Everyone spied on, the president caught lying about it at every turn, the Republican spy chiefs (who BTW approved the Iraq War fake intel) who crudely lie to Congress getting multiplied budgets and power, the top whistleblowers hounded into Eurasian safehouses by "the most transparent administration in history". And lacing it all together is the Federal prosecutor contingent held over from Bush/Cheney.

13 years now of Bush/Cheney justice. At its core is the Federal prosecutor army that hasn't changed. Of course when nothing is changed, everything stays the same.

That's Obama's fault. Chump Change You Can Believe In.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Tue Jul 15, 2014 at 05:39:33 AM PDT

•  No its correct (0+ / 0-)

And we're all paying the price. So when our state and others in the same situation remain under GOP control, look in the mirror if you want to cast blame. People like you are as guilty as the rest for ruining the future of the next generation.

Money is property, not speech. Overturn Citizens United.

by Betty Pinson on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 10:41:25 PM PDT

•  Not only are you wrong but you are insist on (4+ / 0-)

continuing to be wrong in order to insult people with real progressive views.  I don't know why you hate democrats, the President and progressives so much but you have proven in your comments in this diary that your hatred is very similar to that of the tea partiers.  That is, based on your misunderstanding of the way the political and legal processes work.  You blame the very people who try to make a difference and unlike people with legitimate complaints you make up reasons to hate.  No matter what you tell yourself, that does not represent the left.  And you have nothing to be proud of in your hate.  You do not represent "the left".

I believe that people who refuse to accept factual information in favor of their own prejudice are the ones ruining the future.

"Speak the TRUTH, even if your voice shakes."

by stellaluna on Tue Jul 15, 2014 at 04:05:56 AM PDT

•  However you want to frame it (0+ / 0-)

We're up to our collective asses in GOP federal prosecutors here in Ohio because Obama failed to appoint new ones. We're stuck with rampant, unchecked GOP corruption at every level of government and we're not the only state experiencing this problem. It will take a generation to undo the damage from Obamas failure to do his job on these appointments.

Money is property, not speech. Overturn Citizens United.

by Betty Pinson on Mon Jul 14, 2014 at 10:37:56 PM PDT

•  You are not telling the truth. I hope it is (8+ / 0-)

unwitting, but your first sentence is false.

President Obama did not fail to appoint new prosecutors. Ohio has two federal prosecutors who are political appointees. President Obama appointed them both -- Carter Stewart and Steven Dettelbach -- in his first year in office. Neither of the Bush era USA's had to be fired. Dettelbach's predecessor had resigned in 2008. Stewart was proposed by Sherrod Brown in March 2009 and confirmed in September; his predecessor resigned in August.

Is it that you don't understand the difference between the position of U.S. Attorney (a political appointment) and the positions under the authority of that U.S. Attorney, such as Assistant U.S. Attorney (NOT political appointments)? The president does not fire or appoint assistant U.S. attorneys. They are civil servants who are protected from being fired for political reasons.