View Diary: The Evening Blues - 7-16-14 (101 comments)

•  Let the hazing begin (7+ / 0-)

This land is your land and this land is my land, sure, but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway. ~ Bob Dylan ~

by NCTim on Wed Jul 16, 2014 at 05:54:46 PM PDT

•  you like that? really? /nt (5+ / 0-)

We know a hell of a lot, but we understand very little. Manfred Max-Neef

by mimi on Wed Jul 16, 2014 at 08:10:11 PM PDT

•  Do you not recognize the song ? (3+ / 0-)
        dharmafarmer, NCTim, joe shikspack

You must learn some culture if you want to fit in here, in this little corner of the GOS.

The free market is not the solution, the free market is the problem.

by Azazello on Wed Jul 16, 2014 at 08:19:49 PM PDT

•  Well (2+ / 0-)
        mimi, joe shikspack

Gary Moore was a fine guitar player.  Kind of loud and aggressive for some people.

I could have posted Hendrix, but everyone would expect that.  It was really just a nudge at Joe's return.   Hazing is a fraternal ritual of initiation.  Purple haze is a mind expanding chemical.  A Les Paul through a Marshall stack is a rock and roll tradition.

I wouldn't expect everyone to have the same taste.  Variety is the spice of life.  If there were a Keb Mo, James Ulmer or Otis Taylor acoustic version, I probably would have deferred to that.

by NCTim on Thu Jul 17, 2014 at 05:48:35 AM PDT

•  Ooops (2+ / 0-)
          mimi, joe shikspack

Stratocaster on that song.  Also a tradition.  Gary Moore was better known for his Les Paul playing, but covering Hendrix really calls for a Stratocaster.

Of course there is this:

by NCTim on Thu Jul 17, 2014 at 06:03:11 AM PDT

•  that is material for an AP class - (2+ / 0-)
          NCTim, joe shikspack

I am still taking remedial 001  - I think I will be taking that AP class in two and a half years. I am so sorry to have bothered you with my "do you like that, really"? question.

I think music is your kind of code language here, like the navajo code talkers had their's. And being a "good German" I don't get it... :)

When I listened to that piece for a moment, I thought, may be there was a snark sign missing, but of course only "uncultured" people need those signs.

Luckily I can read the news articles and sometimes I even do understand them. Is it ok to come here for the news list and just enjoy the music while reading along?

I am not grown up in the US and came here only at age of 32. I am now 34 years older. So the years where I listened to some music you  sometimes post here, are a long, long time ago and so is my memory of them. I had a pretty stupid life in the US and never got into "music culture experiences". Which is regrettable, but that's what it was. Hopefully that explains it to you and may find some "forgiving" in your mind.

If I were OPOL I would say "PEACE".

We know a hell of a lot, but we understand very little. Manfred Max-Neef

by mimi on Thu Jul 17, 2014 at 08:07:41 AM PDT

•  No problem here (2+ / 0-)
            mimi, joe shikspack

I often make snark comments, but do not include a snark sign.

You can assume all of the disco posts are snark.

by NCTim on Thu Jul 17, 2014 at 10:08:49 AM PDT

•  BTW (0+ / 0-)

Les Paul -  A model of Gibson guitar.  Often associated with Jimmy Page, Slash, Billy Gibbons, ...

Stratocaster - A model of Fender Guitar.  Often associated with Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, ...

Marshall stack - A British amplifier manufacturer.  Most often a tube (valve) amplifier with either one or two cabinets with four 12" speakers (usually).  The Jimi Hendrix sound came from playing a Marshall amplfier very loud.  The electrical signal distorts when the tube circuitry is over driven / saturated.

Led Zepppelin acheived their sound the same way except using Selmer amplifiers.  The Who Hiwatt.  Black Saabath Laney.  Stevie Ray Vaughen Fender.  Each of their sounds had components and coloration added by their choice of amplfier.

by NCTim on Thu Jul 17, 2014 at 02:08:38 PM PDT