View Diary: Senate pickup looking tougher for Republicans, because of Ladies and Latinos (147 comments)

•  In fact, we're ahead everywhere. (5+ / 0-)

The Republican plan, never forget, is to push fake "unskewed" polls showing GOP leads in NC, AR, LA, etc., and tossups in IA and MI---and then rig the outcome while the media pretends the results are "expected".

Our mission is to make the Democratic wins so wide that they can't reverse them by miscounting.

"The law, in its majestic equality, allows the poor as well as the rich to donate unlimited funds to the politicians of their choice." ---attributed to Anatole France

by AdmiralNaismith on Tue Jul 15, 2014 at 04:12:26 PM PDT

•  Miles, what are you doing here? (1+ / 0-)
      NotStupidinTexas

And what will you give me to NOT tell Gregor?  ;^D

I'm not sure "rigged" is completely the right word - more voter suppression tactics, which certainly qualify as a form of rigging.  But more broadly I agree - they'll cheat any way they can, and we have to fight back.

Not all people are human; not all humans are people.

by Jon Sitzman on Wed Jul 16, 2014 at 06:36:06 AM PDT

•  Don't be ridiculous (1+ / 0-)
        Jon Sitzman

It's Illyan you have to worry about, and he already knows. After Miles messes up nearly fatally, Gregor makes him Imperial Auditor, though of course not for that reason.

Back off, man. I'm a logician.—GOPBusters™

by Mokurai on Wed Jul 16, 2014 at 02:16:56 PM PDT

•  Mmmm... Illyan's out of it. (0+ / 0-)

Poor guy.  "That damned chip... it's turning to snot in my head!"

You're right though, Gregor and Miles get on too well for much to come between them.  And there's that awkward almost-a-suicide-attempt that (I think) only Miles knows about.

Not all people are human; not all humans are people.

by Jon Sitzman on Wed Jul 16, 2014 at 02:24:56 PM PDT

•  The chip business was just getting started (1+ / 0-)
            Jon Sitzman

when Illyan cashiered both Admiral Naismith and Miles Vorkosigan for nearly killing someone he was supposed to be rescuing, and then lying about it. Like in Red Harvest, by Dashiell Hammett.

I spent most of my week in Ogden trying to fix up my reports so they would not read as if I had broken so many Agency rules, state laws, and human bones as I had.

I might just as well have saved the labor and sweat I had put into making my reports appear harmless. They didn't fool the Old Man. He gave me merry hell.

Back off, man. I'm a logician.—GOPBusters™

by Mokurai on Wed Jul 16, 2014 at 05:20:07 PM PDT

•  I remember! (0+ / 0-)

That was when the seizures started.  He cut off the rescuee's legs below the knees - they had to be surgically reattached - as I remember things.  Miles totally tried to lie through it, and Simon was NOT amused.

As memory serves, the denouement of that story was Miles' appointment as Imperial Auditor.  Sometime near the close of the novel, Miles told his father that there'd never been a Vorkosigan Imperial Auditor before:

"I checked.  I'm unprecedented."
              "This is not news, Miles."

:^)

Not all people are human; not all humans are people.

by Jon Sitzman on Wed Jul 16, 2014 at 08:08:07 PM PDT