View Diary: I'm pissed off. (63 comments)

•  Sometimes in on-camera professions (1+ / 0-)
    nuclear winter solstice

you just have to decide if you're willing to get naked on camera, or lose weight, or relax your hair, or whatever. It's always some sort of compromise, and one individual can't change the system. If she does go through with it and straighten her hair, I hope at least she gets the job and it's worth it.

•  I understand what your saying. (26+ / 0-)

There are all kinds of compromising one must, at times, endure.

I can also understand that if your hair is just naturally frizzy or otherwise crazy looking (I know, subjective) you may have to alter its look.

However, I think we can make a distinction here between the hair of an individual vs the hair of an entire gene pool of humanity (generally speaking). If an entire race of people is aesthetically unacceptable because of a shared genetic trait, I think that that is a different issue all together (outside of having to deal with a specific race for a specific topic). Given the history of this country, this distinction (apparently based on race) seems more sinister.

Where does it end? Must one alter (even if slightly) the one's genetic code to land such a job?

This whole situation just rubs me the wrong way (I hope it doesn't sound like I'm taking it out on you haha).

I, for one, already told her that, in my opinion, she shouldn't go down that road for the physical aspects (it is laborious and damaging for us to relax our hair), for the (hopefully obvious) psychological aspects, and out of "principal".

We'll see how this goes.

UNINSTALLING MITT ROMNEY..... █████████████ 100%

by saxoman1 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 at 08:59:36 PM PDT

•  a good friend of mine worked for a DC think tank. (3+ / 0-)
        saxoman1, Jon Sitzman, Calamity Jean

she was a translator who knew all sorts of languages. she was charming, intelligent, well educated, and I remember the day we parted ways in 1990 when she nearly had a nervous breakdown because she ripped her last pair of black nylons on her way to work and she didn't have time to deal with it. It was a total panic emergency for this college educated female because she was female. She was not allowed to wear navy blue or beige or any other thing than the dress code said. No rhyme or reason that I could see except for an extreme culture of conformity. Jeez, I said- nobody makes the men wear nylons at all. Hateful things. I wouldn't do it. But she needed her job badly enough not to make any waves. Not me. Couldn't do it. But I'm not a city girl either.

We are all pupils in the eyes of God.

by nuclear winter solstice on Mon Jul 21, 2014 at 07:13:31 AM PDT

•  That sounds crazy! (5+ / 0-)

The standards for men vs women are horribly unbalanced. Not to be a jerk, but a female with the same "level of attractiveness" (God that is crummy, but bare with me) as Bill O'reilly, couldn't NEARLY as easily land that (national mind you) spot.

However, I highly doubt I would have been pissed off and subsequently written this post if all this was about a pair of black nylons ;-).

As sexist as it is, at least you're not altering your racial features.

UNINSTALLING MITT ROMNEY..... █████████████ 100%

by saxoman1 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 at 07:20:22 AM PDT

•  not altering racial features here- but a woman (5+ / 0-)

suffering the insults of having her boss define her wardrobe, in a culture so incredibly bound up in this kind of red tape in 1990 that this was a thing that could go on her permanent record and get her fired. Good thing it was only on paper in those days that she got a demerit, and it lived deep inside a physical file cabinet that would be hard to hack unless you had friends in the department or shmoozed the secretary. What if it hit the internet now to screw up a permanent timeline of hers?
             And that treatment was ten years after Nine to Five. Now we are another quarter century past that and I still have friends who produce their work under their initials so as not to alert people that it's by a woman.

We are all pupils in the eyes of God.

by nuclear winter solstice on Mon Jul 21, 2014 at 07:48:14 AM PDT

•  Jeez. (2+ / 0-)

That it just insane. Do you think it is still the case that things like that go on permanent record?

In any case, that is just pure sexism right there.

UNINSTALLING MITT ROMNEY..... █████████████ 100%

by saxoman1 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 at 07:54:18 AM PDT

•  I don't know if it's still that bad. that was when (2+ / 0-)
                saxoman1, Calamity Jean

I dropped out of that world.
                   In 1984 I had to wear heels while working on the cement sales floor and climbing the ladders to get stuff at JC Penney's. I fought for the right to wear the long country denim skirts that were in fashion then and I won because I was wearing stuff from their catalog.
                   In 1994 I was a secretary/receptionist and pants were fine as long as they were dressy and the blouses and shoes were fancy.
                   In 2004 my boss at the public library told me I no longer needed to dress up, and now I can wear my jeans and hiking boots to work. Years ago the chiropractor asked me if I had spent time on cement. Now my back is great with the right shoes and I can dress for comfort not style. I do try to remember to wear my jewelry (also an annoying social convention if you ask me) because even I can see a minimum level of dress necessary for a decent image at the desk.

We are all pupils in the eyes of God.

by nuclear winter solstice on Mon Jul 21, 2014 at 08:07:54 AM PDT

•  *you're :-). Bloody typos! (7+ / 0-)

UNINSTALLING MITT ROMNEY..... █████████████ 100%

by saxoman1 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 at 09:00:29 PM PDT

•  exactly. lose weight? show leg? wear a wig? which (4+ / 0-)

mask to wear when? yes it's evil and demeaning and waitresses do it all day too. My husband doesn't wear a necktie. What does that mean to different people? Screws up the social-class-ology. Cuts back his chances of being made CEO. but that wasn't what he really wanted anyway.

We are all pupils in the eyes of God.

by nuclear winter solstice on Mon Jul 21, 2014 at 07:07:41 AM PDT