View Diary: Mr. Garner will be buried today...thanks to the NYPD (247 comments)

•  I only care about those with badges and/or guns (2+ / 0-)
    StrayCat, Dave925

with the power, ability and inclination to lord over the rest of us without consequence. I don't give two sh#ts about football players.

Everything good a man can be, a dog already is. - pajoly

by pajoly on Wed Jul 23, 2014 at 03:59:12 PM PDT

•  I'm sorry you are (4+ / 0-)
      pajoly, BenderRodriguez, JoanMar, kfunk937

angry over this.

I'm angry too.

But in another life and career, I did carry a gun and badge.  There you have it.  And never did I or the majority I worked with did anything to abuse that power.

So go for it.

There will be no humanity without forgiveness. There will be no forgiveness without justice. But justice will be impossible without humanity. – Yolande Mukagasana

by kishik on Wed Jul 23, 2014 at 04:04:22 PM PDT

•  You said "majority" (4+ / 0-)
        JoanMar, Dave925, reflectionsv37, kfunk937

Thanks for your honesty.

Can you please tell me what you did, specifically, when you gained knowledge of the abuse by that minority?

Everything good a man can be, a dog already is. - pajoly

by pajoly on Wed Jul 23, 2014 at 04:17:20 PM PDT

•  Nope. (4+ / 0-)

Sorry.  I can't.

But I gained the knowledge of abuse by that minority because it was reported and they were fired.

by kishik on Wed Jul 23, 2014 at 04:29:25 PM PDT

•  Certainly you cannot report what you (2+ / 0-)
            Dave925, JoanMar

do not witness. Fair enough, thanks.

The officer who was fired, was he/she/they reported by a fellow officer(s) or a member of the public?

Everything good a man can be, a dog already is. - pajoly

by pajoly on Wed Jul 23, 2014 at 04:40:34 PM PDT

•  Yup (6+ / 0-)

Or there were those caught through internal investigations based on complaints.

This is not just physical abuse (I was aware of only one case of that... He went to jail. What occurred was not on the job, but abuse of position, power, and involving a weapon... No shots fired) but also corruption and extortion.

I always joked that if it weren't for my job I would have never personally known so many criminals.

Would I have reported something if I personally witnessed something? I would.

I was friends with someone who was personally affected by that band of brothers wall of silence.  This was an internal matter, not involving the public.  It broke her.

Believe me that band of brothers mentality did not always include sisters.

There were plenty I knew who swore an oath, and the oath was taken seriously, just as I took it seriously. Like I said.  Not all go into the business to be corrupted abusing louses.

by kishik on Wed Jul 23, 2014 at 05:49:54 PM PDT

•  If you carried a gun and a badge in any municipal (0+ / 0-)

police force for more than six months, then you were asked to cover for, or lie in a police report for a fellow officer.  And if you did not comply, even the good police would tell you to watch your back.

Patriotism may be the last refuge of scoundrels, but religion is assuredly the first.

by StrayCat on Wed Jul 23, 2014 at 04:26:22 PM PDT

•  this is a lie... (3+ / 0-)

and once more a sweeping statement that pushes all law enforcement into the "bad" category.

Really.  There are assholes everywhere.  Even those that carry guns are not invincible.

by kishik on Wed Jul 23, 2014 at 04:31:15 PM PDT

•  Not a lie, but truth based on actual real life (6+ / 0-)

experience.  After I taught a class at a police academy it was not two months before a new police officer came to me to report being asked to lie on a police report by a fellow officer.  He came to me because I warned the class that this would happen.  I have had police give me false statements and expect me to prosecute people.  I have found police committing perjury in their testimony before a jury.  I have prosecuted police for running a stolen car ring.  I have witnessed a police armorer claim that he could not tell how many rounds a revolver held.  This revolver was an exhibit in a murder trial.  The defendant was a contributor to the FOP, and a whose bar was a stop off for the police after work.  And these are only a dew of the instances I confronted in over thirty years of practicing law, both as a prosecutor and in private practice.  So, do not accuse me of lying, especially when you do not know the facts.

by StrayCat on Wed Jul 23, 2014 at 07:01:13 PM PDT