View Diary: The History of Mass Incarceration in the US...in One Chart (62 comments)

•  Heh, well, I guess you need to hire (1+ / 0-)
    onionjim

about 20X the number of Judges, Baliffs, District Attorneys and Public Defenders then.  Only about 5% of the cases go to trial now, and if there is no plea bargains there is no incentive to settle the cases.  It is one of those ideas that people who don't really know the system often come up with, it sounds good but is unworkable.

"I said, 'Wait a minute, Chester, You know I'm a peaceful man..." Robbie Robertson

by NearlyNormal on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 01:52:33 PM PDT

•  Sheesh, if there ARE no.... Sorry (0+ / 0-)

by NearlyNormal on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 02:17:54 PM PDT

•  I don't think (1+ / 0-)
      NearlyNormal

in the real world. Heh. I look at how things should be, and then see if there is a path to it.

A true craftsman will meticulously construct the apparatus of his own demise.

by onionjim on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 02:18:14 PM PDT

•  Sorry my first reply got (1+ / 0-)
        NearlyNormal

sucked into the ether, then reappeared. Oh well.

A true craftsman will meticulously construct the apparatus of his own demise.

by onionjim on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 02:23:16 PM PDT

•  heh, I kept seeing two replies and (1+ / 0-)
          onionjim

thought my computer must have eaten one.

Seriously, in my couple decades at the Public Defender's office I've seen various Judges, or DA's decide they were not going to Plea Bargain.  So we just set everything for trial without time waivers.  So, in a Misdemeanor Courtroom, you might get 20 new cases in a day...well it takes at least a day to try a case so within a couple of weeks the plea bargains are coming on strong.

by NearlyNormal on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 02:30:33 PM PDT

•  That's sick. (0+ / 0-)

A whole bunch of people are going to plead guilty to something other than what happened. And the human toll that goes along with an unfair system. Like you said, I'm dreaming.

A true craftsman will meticulously construct the apparatus of his own demise.

by onionjim on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 02:50:40 PM PDT

•  well, a lot of times what a plea bargain (0+ / 0-)

does is get the charges down to what was actually done.  Not always, but a lot of time.

by NearlyNormal on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 06:48:57 PM PDT