View Diary: Elizabeth Warren Might Run For President, and That's a Good Thing (109 comments)

•  I just think it's a bit early to say Hillary's... (17+ / 0-)

inevitable. Can we at least wait until 2015? It tends to shut down all conversation and scares off challengers. And that is never a good thing.

I didn't buy it back in '08.

And I'm not buying it right now.

"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - 17th-century French clergyman and statesman Cardinal Richelieu.

by markthshark on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 11:04:15 AM PDT

•  I don't think Hillary's inevitable (15+ / 0-)

And as you say, it's at least a year before we can even begin to assess the field. I hope and expect that there will be some kind of contest. Many of us around here will be eager for an unHillary, and some of us will find one that seems plausible.

"The smartest man in the room is not always right." -Richard Holbrooke

by Demi Moaned on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 11:08:21 AM PDT

•  HRC is worth over 80M. Will she be able to... (7+ / 0-)

.convince the middle-class that she's better equipped to champion their cause than a GOP opponent several times poorer?

Then we go to charisma.

How did Mondale, Dukakis, Gore and Kerry do?

HRC is a flawed candidate.

Learn about Centrist Economics, learn about Robert Rubin's Hamilton Project. www.hamiltonproject.org

by PatriciaVa on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 11:36:58 AM PDT

•  I'm not buying the inevitability either. (8+ / 0-)

And I fully expected Senator Warren to say no, no, no, before she says maybe at some point down the road.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 12:58:03 PM PDT

•  What are you basing that on, elwior? (0+ / 0-)

New Republic: So are the left-wing blogs as bad as the Tea Party ones in this case? -------------------------Chuck Schumer: Left-wing blogs are the mirror image. They just have less credibility and less clout.

by AlexDrew on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 01:49:24 PM PDT

•  it could be strategy on EW's part. (4+ / 0-)
          elwior, eltee, Bluefin, markthshark

EW knows she will get attacked as soon as she announces. She is building her base by doing great things in the Senate, as well as stumping for other dems.

I am a 60 year old college educated white female  who can't afford to retire with HRC in the white house.

I can't eat cat food, and can't tolerate working until I croak.

Some of the other names being thrown around are way less known than EW, yet they seem to be acceptable candidates.

Yup, EW says she isn't running. Yup, Kos says to accept it and get my HRC t-shirt while supplies last.

I say crap to that.

Yup, time to buy stocks in a tissue company.
          I will vote for HRC in the general, but no sooner.

We.Can.Do.Much.Better

Aaron Woolf for NY21 in 2014. Elizabeth Warren for President in 2016. And, Third Way sounds like a cult. I don't join cults.

by karma13612 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 05:13:53 PM PDT

•  ditto n/t!! (1+ / 0-)
        elwior

by karma13612 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 05:14:39 PM PDT

•  How about Caroline Kennedy? Just saw her in (1+ / 0-)
      markthshark

a Newshour interview.
      Intelligent, calm, measured, knowledgeable. Seems to be doing a good job as Ambassador to Japan.
      Has most of the credentials, has been involved in politics her whole life, if not actually holding a representative position...wait a minute...an ambassorship IS quite a "representative position".

I like Warren, a lot, but, alas,  she seems unlikely to run.
      I'm not that keen on Hillary, but if she is our candidate I always vote so she's got one more.
      I don't really see any viable male candidate out there, yet.

So, I'm still thinking Caroline Kennedy just might be the one.

????

"The church of life is not in a building, it is the open sky, the surrounding ocean, the beautiful soil"...George Helm, 1/1977

by Bluefin on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 07:07:32 PM PDT

•  I do like her... (1+ / 0-)
        Bluefin

But I can imagine the catcalls from the right about political "dynasties."

And I don't about her will to run. She shied away from a senate run in NY a few years ago.

Intriguing thought though.

by markthshark on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 09:58:38 PM PDT

•  You Think Actual Legitimate Primary Challengers (1+ / 0-)
      AlexDrew

Are "scared off" by articles and comments at DailyKos?

To the extent that any of them might be scared off, they're scared off by POLLS and MONEY -- not the fact that people are reacting to polls and money in the only way that makes sense.