View Diary: Western Dems embrace Dean (318 comments)

•  except for Kerry (4.00)
    Kerry made a point during the campaign of going back to Washington to vote for the scary-looking guns frighten us! Assault Weapons Ban.  Then he went on a goose-hunting photo op to show his solidary with the sportsmen.  It was a double-whammy failure - a pro-gun-control vote followed by an obnoxiously pandering photo op.

There is an unsubtle difference between breathing fire and blowing smoke.

by Leggy Starlitz on Mon Jul 18, 2005 at 08:47:49 AM PDT

•  ...and I suppose... (none)
      he was goose hunting with an assault weapon?

But seriously, folks, the assault weapons ban might have helped a little, but it was being circumvented in a number of ways by the gun manufacturers to the point where it was basically ineffective. I think it needed to be scrapped (hey, mission accomplished!) or entirely reworked. However, one of the many things it did not do (and was not intended to do) was prevent goose hunting, so I find your Kerry commentary to be without merit.

•  His goose hunting photo op (4.00)
        looked fake and contrived. That what people said about it. It was style over substance on the gun issue.
        •  How could it not, (4.00)
          when Kerry was faked and contrived. See, both parties have been engaged in turning elections into marketing wars. You gotta be a good actor, good enough for "B" movies (ala Reagan, and Annaald), or you have to be true believer. The Repugs appear to be better at recruitng grade "B" actors, so I think we need to move on to plan "B". Get a real public servant that will say what he thinks people need to hear so they can make the best choice, not what they want to hear, so they can be led around by the nose. Dean's that guy, because he is at heart a doctor. He stayed in politics after his untimely  arrival to the governorship, because he realized he could help alot more people than he could as a GP. Furthermore, he had learned how to talk to ordinary people and explain very complicated stuff to them, in a way that would allow them to make informed decisions. He dealt with ordinary people everyday, and developed a huge respect for them. He really thinks that if you give people the info they need, they will do fine. And if they don't, well it was thier decision afterall. Oh, and he actually believes in Democracy, too. Got me to believe in it too, for awhile. Face it guys, we got to figure out how to get Dean to give into running again!

We are all wearing the blue dress now.

by PLS on Mon Jul 18, 2005 at 11:48:48 AM PDT

•  Not to many sportsmen (none)
      Like me. Kerry has hunted waterfowl every fall for most of his life. Why should only Darth Cheney and Anton Scalia get their pictures taken duck hunting?

"Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?" Aldo Leopold

by Ed in Montana on Mon Jul 18, 2005 at 09:53:29 AM PDT

•  it wasn't the hunting (none)
        It was the photo op, which looked contrived because it WAS contrived.  I mean seriously... the dude was running for president.  Did he really need to take time from his busy schedule to go shoot geese for a few hours?  No, and anyone in a similarly busy professional position would have blown off the hunting for a season.

There is an unsubtle difference between breathing fire and blowing smoke.

by Leggy Starlitz on Mon Jul 18, 2005 at 11:18:58 AM PDT

•  You don't understand many hunters (none)
          I know folks that would abandon their pregnant wife and dying mother to go bird hunting for a day. It was the mediawhores that made the event look fake.

by Ed in Montana on Mon Jul 18, 2005 at 01:03:35 PM PDT

•  Scary-looking guns DO frighten me (3.00)
      don't they frighten you?

You can support the assault weapons ban and go goose-hunting and not be a hypocrite.  They are two completely different issues.  The fact that we routinely conflate them is a major reason there is so much controversy about "gun-control."  There are a pretty limited number of guys out there who sincerely believe ordinary citizens need lots of heavy-duty weaponry to defend themselves.  But there are a LOT of guys, and gals too, who bristle when urbanites, who rarely hunt, make disparaging remarks about ALL guns, and all people who own and use guns.

A nuanced approach to gun control, which recognizes differences and distinctions, is exactly what we need to defuse this rather brainless, entrenched battle.  It's not hypocrisy.

•  actually, no (4.00)
        Scary-looking guns don't frighten me.  Guns don't frighten me at all.

IDIOTS frighten me.  About once a week, as part of my commute, I have to dodge someone running a particular red light.  This intersection frightens me more than guns or terrorists (and I work in an actual terrorist target).  Maybe I should insist on banning cars.

And i'm in no way suggesting Kerry is a hypocrite on gun control.  What a ludicrous interpretation of what I said!  No, what I said was Kerry turned off and offended voters, at least the NRA crowd, by making a point of voting for a gun control bill and then trying to soften it by a staged photo op. THAT is the point.  We're losing voters, and we lost a presidential election!

There is an unsubtle difference between breathing fire and blowing smoke.

by Leggy Starlitz on Mon Jul 18, 2005 at 11:24:51 AM PDT

• Labor (27)
  • Congress (24)
  • Science (24)
  • Education (24)
  • Law (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site