View Diary: GMO LABELING, SIMPLY SPEAKING (75 comments)

•  You're making the typical strawman argument (2+ / 0-)
    Crider, emmasnacker

made by the anti labeling GMO supporters. There is no proof that GM crops are completely safe for human consumption either...there were never any studies done. Just because we can't prove the are not safe does not mean they are safe.

Personally, I don't want to be used as a guinea pig and don't want GMO's released into my local environment. I want to see the scientific proof that it's safe first, I shouldn't have to prove it's unsafe after it's too late and GMO have made their way into my families foods and migrated into our environment. Labeling is the very least that should be done.

Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My words but a whisper -- your deafness a SHOUT. I may make you feel but I can't make you think..Jethro Tull

by RMForbes on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 04:16:37 PM PDT

•  No proof.. (2+ / 0-)
      Joffan, VClib

that non-GMO crops are completely safe. That's a logical fallacy in which you're essentially asking someone to prove a negative. It's impossible.

There are tons of studies done. It's just they don't agree with what you want them to say.

•  Non-GMO crops are not bio-engineered (0+ / 0-)

It makes sense to make drug companies prove the effectiveness and safety of the drugs they produce, why do you give the chemical companies that produce GM food crops a free pass. Don't try to turn it around...it's your position that requires the rest of us to prove the negative.

by RMForbes on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 04:53:31 PM PDT

•  No it doesn't (2+ / 0-)
          adocarbog, VClib

I'm asking you to show me one instance where GMOs proved unsafe, whereas a "normally" modified organism wouldn't have. That's hardly asking you to prove a negative.

•  Again, I'm not the one bio-engineering a new food (0+ / 0-)

and selling it in our markets. The onus is not on me to prove it's not safe, it's those that are creating a new form of food to prove it is safe before they should be allowed to sell it to the public. Isn't that why we supposedly have the FDA?

by RMForbes on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 06:49:29 PM PDT

•  You don't get genetics do you? (1+ / 0-)
              VClib
              •  I understand genetics just fine (0+ / 0-)

I also understand that splicing genes from a bacteria into a plant creates something completely new and it should be tested extensively BEFORE they can be released into our environment. But, unfortunately that ship has already sailed. Now all we are asking is that we be able to avoid these products so that we don't become unwitting guinea pigs in this ongoing experiment. It's not that much to ask.

by RMForbes on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 07:14:23 PM PDT

•  No (0+ / 0-)

Do you go through similar safety protocols every time they cross-pollinate a new strain of corn together? No. Same principle, as adocarbog mentioned below. Learn genetics. Prove it's unsafe. Till then, no labels for j00.

•  No (1+ / 0-)
                ZhenRen

Cross pollination is not the same thing as bio-engineering. It's not even close. It sounds like you are the one confused about what's going on here. You also have no authority to say what I get and don't get.

by RMForbes on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 07:22:11 PM PDT

•   (0+ / 0-)

I guess that's true, in that the "same principle" is in play both when you change dog breeds via selective breeding, and when  you change them by grafting working crab legs onto the dogs' torsos.

Somehow, though, I still see a difference.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

by Jaxpagan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 at 06:51:53 AM PDT

•  Sure (0+ / 0-)

If the crab legs tasted the exact same, had the same nutritional content, and the only things separating the two types of crab legs were the size and resistance to certain disease.

I believe science, not the ravings of those who think something might be unsafe due to... who knows.

•  Well, most GM work is about pesticide (0+ / 0-)

GM cotton, for instance, is engineered to produce the Bt toxin. There are strains of corn and other edibles also engineered to generate toxins.

Now we can acknowledge that they don't produce a single-sitting lethal dose for humans. Obviously. But is there an impact to long-term, low level consumption? Who knows?

We do know, thanks to a study published in the journal Reproductive Toxicology, that doctors at Sherbrooke University Hospital in Quebec found the Bt-toxin from GM corn in the blood of some 28 out of 30 pregnant women studied, and in the blood of 24 of their unborn babies.

What's the impact of that? Beats me. But I damn sure think it's worth finding out. . . and letting the people that are going to eat the stuff know they're going to eat it.

by Jaxpagan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 at 08:10:08 AM PDT

•  Le Champignon (0+ / 0-)

To get back to the diary you people are supposedly commenting on, is your position that we should not have a right to know what's in our food unless there is "something" in it that is unsafe for everyone to consume?  And then we should be warned only about the "something" that has been scientifically proven to be unsafe?  WOW!  I'm glad you don't run the FDA.

•  Show me the studies that food harvested during ... (2+ / 0-)
      Joffan, VClib

Show me the studies that food harvested during full moons aren't harmful.

•  Why are you asking me to prove a negative? (1+ / 0-)
        ZhenRen

A drug company has to prove the safety of a new drug before they can sell it in our markets. The chemical companies that are bio-engineering these GM crops should likewise need to prove the safety of their products before they can sell them. We shouldn't be required to prove they are not safe.

by RMForbes on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 06:36:57 PM PDT

•  RMF - FDA clinical trial endpoints are typically (0+ / 0-)

a year or two at most. People have been eating GMO food for decades and they aren't dropping dead or contracting disease in unusual numbers. All the science to date says GMO products are safe. To challenge that scientifically someone is going to have to prove they are not safe.

"let's talk about that" uid 92953

by VClib on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 07:02:02 PM PDT

•  I disagree, the onus should be on the manufacturer (1+ / 0-)
            ZhenRen

of a GMO to prove it's safety before being allowed into the environment just like we do with new drugs. We shouldn't need to prove they are unsafe in order to get labeling so that we can opt out of the ongoing experiment. Just because GMO's have been around for decades doesn't mean new products shouldn't go through rigorous testing proving their safety before being allowed on the market.

This argument that we need to prove that GMO's are unsafe in order to at the bare minimum get labeling is just plain ridiculous. The massive chemical companies that are producing these products shouldn't be able experiment on the public and our natural environment without some checks and balances. Labeling is the very least we should do.

by RMForbes on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 07:51:16 PM PDT

•  RMF - I have taken new drugs through the FDA (0+ / 0-)

Clinical endpoints of more than a year are rare. CMOs have been consumed a lot longer, and by a larger sample of humans, than any known drug trial.

"let's talk about that" uid 92953

by VClib on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 08:04:28 PM PDT

•  That's completely irrelevant (0+ / 0-)

Just because GMO Roundup ready corn has not caused detectable diseases in humans so far does not mean that the next new fish grafted with human genes or whatever else these companies dream up would be perfectly safe. Each one of these new products must undergo significant testing BEFORE they get released into the environment.

Are you really suggesting that all GMO's are perfectly safe because nobody has been able to prove they are not...so far?

What happens if/when one of these products are proven unsafe?

Will we be able to unring that bell?

by RMForbes on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 08:38:39 PM PDT

•  There's plenty of proof that GMOs are safe. (0+ / 0-)

The experiments have been done.

You just don't want to look at them because they contradict your pre-existing ideas.

Experiments on lunar phase-dependency, now - they are thin on the ground. Labeling on that basis makes much more sense.

This is not a sig-line.

by Joffan on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 05:15:42 PM PDT

•  Where are they? The only studies I've seen (0+ / 0-)

only prove they are effective in operating as advertised. The safety of human consumption of these products has not been directly addressed. Show me where the FDA approved any of these GMO's for human consumption after significant scientific study.

by RMForbes on Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 07:02:04 PM PDT

• Civil Rights (31)
  • Science (31)
  • Media (30)
  • Education (30)
  • Barack Obama (28)
  • Law (25)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Congress (22)
  • Labor (22)
  • Economy (21)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site