View Diary: IDF leveled Gaza neighborhood killing scores all to kill its captured soldier & his Hamas captor (291 comments)

•  I don't mean to imply that you violated... (1+ / 0-)
    Heart of the Rockies

...any rules.
    Just giving you a link as to what they are.

Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)

by Arilca Mockingbird on Sat Jul 26, 2014 at 02:28:34 PM PDT

•  right, but this goes to your earlier point, (3+ / 0-)
      corvo, Arilca Mockingbird, IndieGuy

your analogy about white people wanting to use the n-word. Do you count me in that category, or do I have some basis for a complaint about the way this moderation policy is being enforced?

•  I don't know what comment you made... (0+ / 0-)

...so I have no opinion on it.

The rule as describe by MB is that calling either side Nazis in the I/P is prohibited.

To me this isn't about the moderation rule.
        Its about stupid useless lame talking points.

by Arilca Mockingbird on Sat Jul 26, 2014 at 02:42:33 PM PDT

•  well, I'm telling you I didn't (7+ / 0-)

make the analogy and yet was apparently sanctioned for it.

But I'm not so sure you're right this is just about how lame a talking point is. Comparisons between Israel and South Africa used to be similarly controversial, and now they are less so, in part perhaps because it seems the I/P situation more closely resembles apartheid as time has passed. In an earlier era with a similar moderation policy, the most perceptive comments about this evolution might have been censored in the same way.

•  Also, not even the Site Leadership (4+ / 0-)

could damn Jimmy Carter all that easily.

Dogs from the street can have all the desirable qualities that one could want from pet dogs. Most adopted stray dogs are usually humble and exceptionally faithful to their owners as if they are grateful for this kindness. -- H.M. Bhumibol Adulyadej

by corvo on Sat Jul 26, 2014 at 02:55:38 PM PDT

•  South Africa actually seems like a more apt... (5+ / 0-)

...comparison. People will either object to that or not.

Here's the thing though. I don't need to compare Israel to another country to polish my argument that Israel's occupation of Gaza is ethically and morally wrong. That Israel has committed and is continuing to war crimes. That we (the United States) are complicit in these crimes with or political and financial support.

by Arilca Mockingbird on Sat Jul 26, 2014 at 03:04:57 PM PDT

•  "polish"? (5+ / 0-)
              CwV, corvo, Arilca Mockingbird, IndieGuy, poco

analogies are useful tools for learning and understanding, and are frequently employed by historians and academics of all kinds. I don't know the best way to make everyone's point, and a look at various ghettos through history might be part of a good discussion somewhere.

As I said in my other comment, originally you implied (by way of your own analogy) that people who had an issue with the moderation of this analogy of getting a perverse pleasure from taboo racism, which the more I think about it is a pretty low accusation.

•  I don't disagree with this... (0+ / 0-)
                Do you think that the "Nazi Analogy" is a useful tool in these diaries?

Given that the NA is prohibited in these diaries what is your explanation for CwV's comment to which I made this analogy?

I don't know if I can explain my thought with any more clarity (see astoundingly stupid comment).

If you think that my "pretty low accusation" has violated community standards then you or others can make the choice to HR the comment or report it to moderation.
                As of now, I stand by it.

by Arilca Mockingbird on Sat Jul 26, 2014 at 03:31:17 PM PDT

•  I don't think your accusation (1+ / 0-)
                  Arilca Mockingbird

violates community standards. If it did, those standards would be too restrictive on the discourse. Similarly, suspending commenting for people who refer to others making Gaza/Warsaw analogies is too restrictive. The idea that you don't care about that kind of thing is silly, that is, if you really care about the level of discourse on the site.

No I don't think the Nazi analogy is a useful tool in these diaries. I think comparison (perhaps for the purpose of contrast) of ghettos, from Poland to Palestine to South Africa and so on, might be. So might reference to historical examples of collective punishment against civilians in confined urban spaces by vastly superior militaries. I assumed CwV was making any of these analogies. Are they similarly verboten?

I stand by it.
                  And here I was hoping you'd rise above it!
          •  You are in error. Several Kossacks DID... (2+ / 0-)
            Heart of the Rockies, capelza

...ask repeatedly that "apartheid" references regarding Israel be barred. But such references weren't and aren't barred. The decision about Nazi comparisons was not purely an admin decision but one generally agreed to be pro-P and pro-I diary participants in P/I diaries.

Moreover, you weren't sanctioned. You were warned.

by Meteor Blades on Sun Jul 27, 2014 at 02:16:50 AM PDT

•  And yet (1+ / 0-)
              chipmo

Despite the consensus you cite, some of us are beginning wonder if this site policy is an unhealthy imposition of censorship when the facts on the ground and the positions taken by some Daily Kos members look like a duck, walk like a duck and sound like a duck.

But don't worry, I have been warned that ducks are a protected class and that rules are rules.

Message received and under consideration.

•  what error? (1+ / 0-)
              chipmo

My question is, who decides at what level of suffering/violence it's okay to compare various ghettos? I was warned apparently for referring to the idea of such a comparison. Is that what triggered the warning?

•  Long time participants in I/P on both sides of the (0+ / 0-)

issue have agreed, in general, to the barring of certain comparisons or denial of certain facts. I am finding those that question these rules are new to the issue here. In my opinion they may not have the experience of the degree of acrimony which has been exhibited in the past.

The rules have been an effective measure to reduce that past vitriol. It does not eliminate it, but it helps.

"Stay close to the candles....the staircase can be treacherous" (-8.38,-8.51)

by JNEREBEL on Sun Jul 27, 2014 at 01:22:54 PM PDT

•  and actually, I don't think you're really being (9+ / 0-)

genuine here - white people wanting to say the n-word is not just an example of someone using a "stupid useless lame talking point," it's about finding a perverse pleasure in indulging in taboo tribalism and racism. Originally you said that's what people who had questions about the moderation of this I/P analogy were doing.

•  Two different points. (0+ / 0-)

Those who resent not being able to use the word Nazi in these diaries do sound like people who resent not being able to use the N-word (and since someone did imply that I sounded breathtakingly stupid your mileage may…).

I also think that bringing in the Nazi talking point is stupid, useless, etc. and immediately turns any I/P diary into a sewer.

by Arilca Mockingbird on Sat Jul 26, 2014 at 03:17:01 PM PDT

• Recommended (165)
  • Community (76)
  • 2016 (49)
  • Environment (48)
  • Elections (46)
  • Bernie Sanders (42)
  • Culture (41)
  • Republicans (40)
  • Hillary Clinton (34)
  • Climate Change (33)
  • Media (33)
  • Education (32)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (29)
  • Labor (28)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Law (25)
  • Congress (25)
  • Science (24)
  • Spam (24)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site