View Diary: California is dying of thirst, while it uses its precious water to raise livestock in China (199 comments)

•  This... (23+ / 0-)
    pork consumes 121,000 gallons of blue water per ton of meat produced; beef, about 145,000 gallons per ton; and butter, some 122,800 gallons per ton.
    ...makes me feel a bit silly about putting buckets in my 30 second twice-weekly showers. But I do it anyway, because at this point every single drop counts.

Thanks for the diary, RL. Seems completely insane to not only raise feedlot cattle but grow almonds and rice in what's basically a big desert.

Ecology is the new Economy => Kosonomy

by citisven on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 09:12:46 AM PDT

•  30 seconds ? (9+ / 0-)

I'm a veggie so my waterfootprint is small enough so that I can spend some time showering without feeling guilty .
      And the water flow from the showerhead is so small now ,
      it looks like a squirt gun , it might take more that 30 seconds for the water to get from the top of my head down to my feet .
      I was at the library the other day and there was a guy shaving in the bathroom sink , water going full blast for no reason , I gave him a look and he was like , what's your problem .

"please love deeply...openly and genuinely." A. M. H.

by indycam on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 09:32:17 AM PDT

•  You said: (2+ / 0-)
        6412093, cany
        You shouldn't feel guiltless in this manner if you are using hydrocarbon combustion to heat your water, because every minute under hot water in the shower has a corresponding heat input value in BTU associated with it and the greenhouse gas emission rate from your bathing operation is directly proportional to the BTU heat input rate for your water heater.

If you are using an electric water heater instead of a gas fired water heater, you should feel particularly guilty because your total greenhouse gas emissions from taking a shower will be considerably higher (with most electric utility generating mixes + transmission line loss) than for a gas-fired water heater.   Delivery of energy in BTU as electricity requires a very considerably greater heat input rate than the numerical value in BTU of the electricity generated.

•  Are you a veggie ? (1+ / 0-)
          LakeSuperior

"please love deeply...openly and genuinely." A. M. H.

by indycam on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 10:16:35 AM PDT

•  Used to be vegetarian.....but not now. (2+ / 0-)
            6412093, Bluesee

I consume dairy (no-fat yogurt and cheese)...but I should really stop eating cheese because of the saturated fat.

Haven't touched beef since about 1972.....

Only eat chicken when I'm on travel, never buy it for home consumption ever.

Only consume pork in the form of ham and/or pepperone on pizza, but I should really cut that out, and actually I should really stop my pizza consumption completely.

I consume considerable amounts of fish.

I've completely stopped eating eggs and drinking milk.

•  That depends on where you live (4+ / 0-)
          Hannibal, wu ming, VL Baker, Oh Mary Oh

Many places, such as California, have more non-coal production than coal production and as such have lower GHG emissions per BTU. Given the other energy problems CA faces taking a shower can be problematic anyway.

The energy usage and GHG emissions from meat also far, far outpaces the same in regards to a shower.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 10:25:13 AM PDT

•  California has a considerable proportion of (3+ / 0-)
            6412093, AoT, Oh Mary Oh

its generating mix in natural gas fired power plants, and Los Angeles is increasing the natural gas electricity generation to a greater degree than for wind/solar for central utility generating plants....something Michael Brune didn't tell the public when Sierra Club held their news conference with the Mayor of Los Angeles to announce LA's effort to reduce and eliminate reliance on coal combustion for electricity generation.

•  Natural gas is better than coal (1+ / 0-)
              pat bunny

although still part of the problem. This is the problem with the "All of the above" approach.

But not eating meat drastically reduces your GHG footprint and unless you're taking huge showers every day, and maybe even then, going veggie means that you would more than make up for energy usage in the shower.

Either way, agricultural water use dwarfs residential use, ditto for energy.

No War but Class War

by AoT on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 11:56:05 AM PDT

•  Experts are reconsidering the benefits/dangers of (1+ / 0-)
                AoT

natural gas:

"While emissions of carbon dioxide are less from natural gas than from coal and oil, methane emissions are far greater. Methane is such a potent greenhouse gas that these emissions make natural gas a dangerous fuel from the standpoint of global warming over the next several decades," said Dr. Howarth. "Society should wean ourselves from all fossil fuels and not rely on the myth that natural gas is an acceptable bridge fuel to a sustainable future."

Read more at: http://phys.org/...

"We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." - Louis Brandeis

by Pescadero Bill on Tue Aug 05, 2014 at 09:12:30 AM PDT

•  I own a big electric , industrial size , tankless (2+ / 0-)
          LakeSuperior, Oh Mary Oh

water heater , its in storage , its not hooked up to water or electricity .
          I do have another water heater ,

"please love deeply...openly and genuinely." A. M. H.

by indycam on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 10:26:32 AM PDT

•  okay, it might be a minute or two (5+ / 0-)
        LakeSuperior, 6412093, cany, BYw, Oh Mary Oh

I probably exaggerated a bit. Turning off water during lathering. Basically no time for "joy showering." And yes, total low flow shower head here too. Good thing I've got short hair right now. :-)

Ecology is the new Economy => Kosonomy

by citisven on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 10:24:24 AM PDT

•  I have really long hair and that's the majority of (1+ / 0-)
          Oh Mary Oh

water use in the shower. But the hair's staying:) I cut my showering days, have a low-flow head, turn off the water when lathering, but I haven't gotten to the point of catching the water given I really don't know what I could use it for on the ground without killing my trees.

The only hawk I like is the kind that has feathers. My birding blogs: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/ and canyonbirds.net

by cany on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 01:17:29 PM PDT