View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 8/4 (261 comments)

•  My initial reaction is "meh" (3+ / 0-)
    mconvente, Trosk, Possible Liberal

The "raised his own pay 6 times" schtik is old and worn, and I've always been pessimistic it's effective.  I think both parties used it in ads at various times, it's a favorite fallback attack line.

And I don't think it sets up the "jobs" attack well.  Those things are too loosely connected, if connected at all.

This ad looks like they were in a hurry to slap something together.  It's not lousy, but it's not what I would consider worth a big buy.

46, male, Indian-American, and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 09:25:41 AM PDT

•  While I too think it's not the best line of attack (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

I imagine it does kind of sit wrong with people that members of Congress get to decide how much they get paid.

26, Practical Progressive Democratic Socialist (-9.38, -8.51), Gay, IN-02 - Defeat Wacky Jackie!

by HoosierD42 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 03:21:11 PM PDT

•  Hence Amendment XXVII, nt (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

Iron sharpens Iron. Normal is a dryer setting. STOP illegal immigration NOW! -- Make it LEGAL. If Corporations are People--Let's draft them.

by benamery21 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 03:44:09 PM PDT

•  The only thing that does (2+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, DCCyclone

is delay the pay raise until the next Congress, which in an era of 80+% incumbency means jack.

by HoosierD42 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 10:00:23 PM PDT

•  Sentiment, not substance explains XXVII. (2+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY, DCCyclone

by benamery21 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 at 10:05:17 PM PDT

•  Not exactly (1+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY

It was passed centuries ago!  It just didn't get ratified until my lifetime, which could happen at all only because they didn't include a ratification deadline at the outset!

by DCCyclone on Tue Aug 05, 2014 at 10:08:57 AM PDT

•  Yes, I well remember, (1+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY

I was already paying taxes when this became law in 1992, the details were well publicized at the time, during a period when the last few of the required states ratified.  It's the only amendment which has become law in my lifetime, and was, in my view, part and parcel with term limits laws, which were passed for Congress by 23 states before being invalidated by SCOTUS.

by benamery21 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 at 04:31:02 PM PDT