View Diary: Hatred of Congress gets personal (88 comments)

•  Fascinating poll. However, (19+ / 0-)

given the structural advantages for incumbents, it's a huuuuuge leap from "I disapprove of my rep" to "I'll cross party lines and vote for the unfunded warm body who's challenging him/her." There has never been a "throw the bums out" election (either one party's incumbents are punished, or none) -- and much would need to change with financing, gerrymandering, etc., before there's any chance of one.

"I've always admired your tart honesty and ability to be personally offended by broad social trends." -Principal Skinner.

by cardinal on Tue Aug 05, 2014 at 10:38:01 AM PDT

•  Even if that happened, (12+ / 0-)

the GOP has ensured that massively gerrymandered districts will keep them in power along with plenty of money to catapult the propaganda to voters.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Tue Aug 05, 2014 at 11:22:39 AM PDT

•  And somebody said this a.m. on TV that R control (8+ / 0-)

of the House will last until about 2020.
        I'm glad I don't have high blood pressure.  But I do yell and tear at my hair a lot, so maybe they'll cart me off to the nearest looney bin.

Putting the fun back in dysfunctional.

by hawkseye on Tue Aug 05, 2014 at 01:23:46 PM PDT

•  Yup; actually until 2022. (3+ / 0-)
          Puddytat, Mr MadAsHell, hawkseye

Until after the next decennial census is taken and new districts are required. And even then maybe nothing will get done, depending on the census and the 2020 elections at the state level. Imagine if the census reveals no population changes or if the states all stay controlled by the same parties as in 2010. Then virtually nothing would/could change and we're stuck for another 10 years. These are reasons why I'm not so sanguine that anything dramatic is going to happen in my lifetime (I'm about to turn 52.)

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Tue Aug 05, 2014 at 01:38:46 PM PDT

•  Something is going to happen all right............ (11+ / 0-)

It may even happen in my lifetime and I'm 72.  Between the economy, climate, killing and eating of the oceans on top of the toxic pollutants dumped, drained and injected... hell, it's already happening.  Throw in the poisoning of existing sources of potable water and we're there. Either people wake up or plan to die with their gas masks on.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” — William Arthur Ward

by cowdab on Tue Aug 05, 2014 at 02:08:36 PM PDT

•  Oh, sure. I was talking about (2+ / 0-)
              cowdab, catdaddy1gg

the political scene in response to a question, is all. We're fucked.

by bryduck on Wed Aug 06, 2014 at 10:25:42 AM PDT

•  I think cowdab was saying (1+ / 0-)
                cowdab

The political scene won't matter because there won't be anybody left to elect -- or vote.  We'll all be a part of the fossil record.

I'll believe corporations are people when one comes home from Afghanistan in a body bag.

by mojo11 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 04:49:16 AM PDT

•  You got it! Read in DKOS (0+ / 0-)

Meteor Blades writes WED AUG 06, 2014 AT 09:00 PM MDT
                  Open thread for night owls. Climatologist: If we release a small fraction of Arctic carbon, we're...

It is under "Open Thread for Night Owls."  I'm not good at this enough to give you an exact link.  I'm sure you can find it.

The fat lady is singing but nobody's listening!

by cowdab on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 09:14:46 AM PDT

•  Keep your chin up... (0+ / 0-)

As things heat up on them we will start to see the far right begin to eat its own.

They are about promoting what is best for themselves and not for our society as a whole, so they have no true unity of purpose behind them.

The cracks are already in the dam, their apologists are running out of patches and the ones they are forced to use are so transparently thin even a blind me could see through them.

Add into the mix this lovely tool called the internet and the hard working true patriots like my fellow Kossacks that are shining a spotlight into the shadows the corrupt need to flourish and you have a real potential for rapid change.

And that is why I believe they are doomed to fail.

•  It won't begin in 2020 either unless..... (3+ / 0-)
          hawkseye, VirginiaBlue, 503me

those of us with like minds don't get going and get out the vote.  If you are clear about this being a starting point for taking our country forward (not backward) and not to expect miracles then others may get out and vote.

Has anyone got an idea of how many decades of  devotion it has taken for repugs to get where they are now?  We have to match that dedication and then bump it up a mile!

by cowdab on Tue Aug 05, 2014 at 02:04:17 PM PDT

•  If Debbie Wasserman-Schultz had shown @ Netroots (3+ / 0-)
      cowdab, Mr MadAsHell, cardinal

...she might have heard an emphasized need for serious GOTV by way of funding volunteers who knock on doors and work the phones. To trust the base and put more resources in the hands of the people who do the heavy lifting. And perhaps institute some smart phone banking with candidates COLLECTIVELY having calls made only a few times instead of to the point of annoyance. Just to make the argument for their candidiate ( and take voter feedback!), then latter trying a assure a vote for our candidates, then a few days before the election reminding people where their polling station is. Or making sure they send in an absentee ballot on time.

I've heard that they are trying to do this more this year. I hope so but I'm not seeing much of a ground game yet. Ads are not particularly useful at turning out voters. Nothing beats contact with a volunteer who makes an effort because they care.

That might squeak us into a win, or at least strongly minimize losses. But I don't have much confidence in the federal branch of the Democratic party coming up with many wins. Even though this is a rare midterm with a Democratic president where that is in reach.

•  True (2+ / 0-)
      silverfoxcruiser, cardinal

Which is why we have the mess we do.  They aren't afraid to be themselves because their districts are gerrymandered and Americans have an amazing capacity to vote against their own best interests for which their children will pay down the road.