View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up: High and dry in California (102 comments)

•  Waldman has it wrong about the Tea Party (21+ / 0-)
    For a bunch of nincompoops prancing around in tricorner hats, it’s quite a remarkable achievement.
    It is not so much a remarkable achievement as it is a testament to the fact that there are so damned many nincompoops around to vote them in office.
    :: BIG SIGH ::

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John F. Kennedy

by JaxDem on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 04:41:22 AM PDT

•  The teapublikkkans are the louder stupider poorer (10+ / 0-)

cousins of the Rs. They agree but the Rs appear less rude.

IOW, they're two sides of the same evil coin.

I voted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 because it is my right, my responsibility and because my parents moved from Alabama to Ohio to vote. Unfortunately, the republicons want to turn Ohio into Alabama.

by a2nite on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 05:06:17 AM PDT

•  Speaks more to the ineffectiveness and (1+ / 0-)
      OleHippieChick

corruption of the D Party, really, than the batshit crazies.

If D's would simply commit en mass to supporting We the People rather than the oligarchs, they'd have handsome majorities in both chambers. 38% turnout would be a thing of the past, along with safe Red districts. Democracy would be back on the mend.

I've never left a blank space on a ballot... but I will not vote for someone [who vows] to spy on me. I will not do it. - dclawyer06

Trust, but verify. - Reagan
      Vote, but Occupy. - commonmass

by Words In Action on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 05:26:54 AM PDT

•  sounds nice (5+ / 0-)

But I can't think of any historical precedent that leads me to believe it.

"Democracy is a political system for people who are not sure they are right." —E. E. Schattschneider

by HudsonValleyMark on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 05:59:28 AM PDT

•  Agree with you (5+ / 0-)

It just sounds like the left wing version of the continual right wing delusion that the only reason their candidate lost was that he wasn't conservative enough.

Yes, Democratic candidates could do a better job of enunciating progressive Democratic principles, and I think that it would help some at the polls.  We've seen that in the past -- when Democrats ran as "Republican lite" in 2002 and 2004, we did poorly, whereas showing clear distinctions paid off in 2006, 2008, and 2012.  But it's a difference of a few points, not some fantasy of a permanent and overwhelming Democratic dominance.

If Democrats proclaim the the Earth is round and Republicans insist it is flat, we will shortly see a column in the Washington Post claiming the the earth is really a semi-circle.

by TexasTom on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 06:36:28 AM PDT

•  Nothing is permanent. (6+ / 0-)

But the New Deal coalition led to decades of Democratic dominance. Not of the Presidency, but of Congress. It also led to a long leftward shift, even in the Republican party. Until that all broke apart with the Dixiecrats splitting off over race and the Republicans sweeping them up with the Southern Strategy.

Talking up progressive principles will help in the short term. Passing legislation that really works for people helps until it becomes the new normal and people forget what things were like before.

The Empire never ended.

by thejeff on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 06:44:45 AM PDT

•  Hello. Thanks for the sanity break. (1+ / 0-)
              Mr MadAsHell

It was getting kind of nutty, even for an asylum.

Trust, but verify. - Reagan
              Vote, but Occupy. - commonmass

by Words In Action on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 06:59:50 AM PDT

•  That didn't just happen in a vacuum (0+ / 0-)

Several years of economic disaster under Hoover leading to 25% unemployment when Roosevelt took office may have had something to do with it.  Had Roosevelt proposed something like the New Deal under different conditions, it would likely have gone nowhere and he'd have been a one-termer.

Now, it can be argued that Obama had a similar opportunity when he took office in 2009 -- I don't know that he did (the economy hadn't been in a ditch for an extended period of time as was the case when Roosevelt came in, but it was in a free fall) -- but I'd say that at this point there really aren't the conditions in place to allow a new New Deal to become a political winner, even if those conditions might have existed five years ago.

by TexasTom on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 05:04:31 PM PDT

•  The delusion is thinking you can create democracy (0+ / 0-)

by supporting and/or appeasing the growth of oligarchy.

"Oh that, we can fix that tomorrow, when the income, wealth and power they confer concentrate even further beyond the gilded age..."

Trust, but verify. - Reagan
            Vote, but Occupy. - commonmass

by Words In Action on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 06:59:05 AM PDT

•  Yes, the Mid-20th C. never happened. (0+ / 0-)

Enjoy your 38% turnout. You earned it.

Trust, but verify. - Reagan
          Vote, but Occupy. - commonmass

by Words In Action on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 06:49:59 AM PDT

•  Enjoy your 38% turnout. You earned it. (0+ / 0-)

Sorry for the repeat, but it clearly bears repeating.

Why we keep following the inmates insane strategy which repeatedly fails is beyond me.

Trust, but verify. - Reagan
          Vote, but Occupy. - commonmass

by Words In Action on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 06:52:02 AM PDT

•  p.s., re: your sig. (0+ / 0-)

The neoliberal economic policies embraced by the Party establishment categorically feeds oligarchy and DESTROYS democracy.

The historical precedent is all of human history. See Graeber's "Debt: The First 5000 Years" for background.

Trust, but verify. - Reagan
          Vote, but Occupy. - commonmass

by Words In Action on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 06:54:41 AM PDT

•  You're right. People hated the New Deal, (0+ / 0-)

the Labor Movement, Civil Rights, etc.

Attitudes such as the one you express are the reason 1) progress is so long in coming and 2) so easily set back.

Trust, but verify. - Reagan
          Vote, but Occupy. - commonmass

by Words In Action on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 06:56:19 AM PDT

•  nincompoops with huge funding (14+ / 0-)

and media stenographers and allies in high places (like the US Congress)

Treating the Tea Party like a genuine bumbling grass-roots movement is inaccurate, and a barrier to understanding what we are facing. It's a well-financed astro-turfing, whose real goals are at odds with its public face.

•  But those nincompoops are not the reason (1+ / 0-)
      Shawn87

they have power.

They are and will always be a small minority of the population. But if the 'extreme left' (remember them? Lani Guinier, anyone?) had a few people with Billions of dollars to throw at the cause over the course of many years, including a major TV network with a non-stop drumbeat of their outside the mainstream views and unending attacks on everything that they disagree with, the fact that they are a small minority of the overall population and a minority of the Democrats would keep them, and their policies, in the forefront, even if they couldn't get majority votes in general, or even most primary, elections.

• Recommended (119)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Spam (21)
  • Labor (20)
  • Education (20)
  • GOP (20)
  • Civil Rights (19)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (17)
  • Economy (16)
  • Law (16)
  • Science (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site