View Diary: Will Vikings prohibit use of Washington NFL nickname during Nov. 2 game? (42 comments)

•  LOL (3+ / 0-)
    ontheleftcoast, itsjim, IndieGuy

Yes, there are lots of groups the Vikings have been unable to destroy.

Sorry, tried to resist but couldn't. As a former Minnesotan (where I spent most of my formative years), I mostly remember them being notable for making it to the playoffs every year - barely - and immediately choking. And then when they became even more famous for domestic abuse and drunk driving, well, I pretty much stopped watching football.

Here's hoping they handle this better than the clumsy way in which they handled their homophobia.

"Tea is soothing. I wish to be tense." - Rupert Giles

by CelticOm on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 10:24:53 AM PDT

•  I lived in Minnesota during their "molden" years (5+ / 0-)

I moved their with my family in 1969 and moved to the left coast in 1989 so I know what you're talking about. I've joked that if the Bills played the Vikings in the Super Bowl they'd somehow both lose and Miami or Dallas would get the trophy.

GOP 2014 strategy -- Hire clowns, elephants, and a ringmaster and say "a media circus" has emerged and blame Democrats for lack of progress. Have pundits agree that "both sides are to blame" and hope the public will stay home on election day.

by ontheleftcoast on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 10:35:54 AM PDT

•  Could have been worse. (2+ / 0-)
      CelticOm, MI Sooner

At least you weren't a Lions fan during those years! They were the team the Vikings usually beat out to make the playoffs.

•  Ireland had no cities; Vikings founded them. (1+ / 0-)
      MI Sooner

You'd think a Celt would know that.

Dick Cheney 2/14/10: "I was a big supporter of waterboarding"

by Bob Love on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 11:07:34 AM PDT

•  And there were indigenous people... (1+ / 0-)
        ontheleftcoast

...already living there who were attacked and subjugated by the Vikings.

You keep forgetting that part.

•  It's also a demeaning comment on the Irish who (1+ / 0-)
          itsjim

lived there. The view that they needed what we'd call cities to be civilized is pretty narrow minded. Irish populations weren't concentrated into cities until after the early 9th century raids by the Vikings but that was partly because they didn't need to be. They had many towns and a network of cathedrals and castles thru out the island. Hell, they were fully Christianized with St. Patrick coming to the island nearly 400 years before the Vikings showed up. They weren't backwards, quaint, or primitive.

by ontheleftcoast on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 03:23:45 PM PDT

•  I'm totally aware of that part. (0+ / 0-)

You're confusing "forgetting" with "focussing on the issue at hand".

Dick Cheney 2/14/10: "I was a big supporter of waterboarding"

by Bob Love on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 03:44:08 PM PDT

•  Uh... (0+ / 0-)

Not sure what the history of Ireland has to do with the Minnesota Vikings, but okay.

"Tea is soothing. I wish to be tense." - Rupert Giles

by CelticOm on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 01:49:29 PM PDT

•  Vikings founded Dublin. (0+ / 0-)

The Irish are a Celtic people. Back to your tv now.

Dick Cheney 2/14/10: "I was a big supporter of waterboarding"

by Bob Love on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 03:46:59 PM PDT

•  Dude. (0+ / 0-)

Really don't know what you are on about with the personal insults. This is about the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A V-I-K-I-N-G-S.

Not the Norse Vikings. Not the Irish. Not Dublin. Not the Celts.

F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L.