View Diary: The United States should attack ISIS immediately, and not wait for them to attack Irbil (91 comments)

•  You sure have a lot to say (4+ / 0-)

about the destiny of people other than yourself from the comfort of your chair.

Of the almost 1,900 dead Palestinians, the IDF said it killed "900 terrorists" in Gaza. Add that to its long list of lies.

by pajoly on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 08:52:57 PM PDT

•  It's an opinion. It's a powerless one. (3+ / 0-)
      pajoly, dharmasyd, jjohnjj

People are allowed to think things without imposing them. I specifically noted that on that particular issue I have an opinion but would definitely want to leave it up to people who were more invested and knew more. Not sure what you want, besides people who disagree with you to be silent.

it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses

by Addison on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 09:01:57 PM PDT

•  Thanks for the honesty, but you need to be willing (1+ / 0-)
        dharmasyd

to have skin in the game, otherwise you are not really serious, and it's not even really an opinion. Even an opinion requires conviction.

by pajoly on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 09:25:09 PM PDT

•  How's this, I'm a 70something year old disabled (3+ / 0-)
          liberte, Hoghead99, amyzex

vet. If I was young and able I would go tomorrow to help save 40,000 people who are powerless and waiting to be beheaded or die of starvation or dehydration in 110 degree heat. Am I entitled to my opinion just because I served? The purpose of this website is to express anyone's opinion, whether they served or not. When I served, I had no choice. Today it's all voluntary and those courageous people who did volunteers today know what the code is about.

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." - Buddha

by tazz on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 09:40:49 PM PDT

•  Super! Support a draft and a law for no war profit (3+ / 0-)
            Pluto, LEP, blueoasis

First, may there be more like you...

Second, before ANY more war, I support a draft. If our Congressmen are going to cynically or otherwise send kids to war then everyone must feel the pain. These past 13 years most of the country have been able to merrily go along as if nothing was happening. Hell, they'd not even have to see a payroll deduction called a "war tax." And since few felt the pain, few gave ashit kids were dying or losing their legs.

Fuck that. No more. I want a formal declaration of war and a draft. Then the public will stay engaged.

Third, I want a law that says our public companies are not allowed to profit off of the war. Just like the citizenry would be expected to do its duty, those companies privileged enough to have American business and are granted a corporate charter at the will of American law, they too must do their share.

So it all have skin in the game and no company can profit off war, there'd much less of it and that there was would be conducted like a real war...the kind that have ends.

by pajoly on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 09:55:32 PM PDT

•  Bottom line today is there is a band (1+ / 0-)
              amyzex

of very violent people itching to murder an ancient people in a genocide. I just read that out of the 40,000 people who are besieged by ISIL with the threat of extermination or die in the 110 degree heat of starvation or dehydration, 25,000 are children. Today, right now, those people need help. Throughout the history of the past 3,000, these people never practiced violence or intolerance. The were almost wiped out by Hussein. We can work to change our system tomorrow so that all you are calling for will happen. Let's save these people first.

by tazz on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 10:26:40 PM PDT

•  The first thing I saw when I got up and... (3+ / 0-)
        majcmb1, Pluto, blueoasis

...opened my computer this morning was the headline:

Obama considering airstrikes on Iraq
        Even though I think the story mean't on ISIS / ISIL, I just went, "OMG -- NO!

As I said during the day after 9/11 when someone asked me what I thought our country, the USofA, would do, I replied:

I have absolute faith in my country to make the wrong decision always.
        At least, so far, that has been and remains the case.  May it change.

“…violence is mimetic, one act of violence sowing the seeds for the next.” Jules Fraser

by dharmasyd on Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 09:58:53 PM PDT

•  Disagree. Opinions can be provisional and we all.. (0+ / 0-)

.. need to share them with each other while we work toward consensus. The last thing we want to do is leave these decisions to the "professionals".

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing
        he was never reasoned into” - Jonathan Swift