View Diary: U.S. airstrikes begin on ISIS militants in Iraq (395 comments)

•  We didn't set the table in those countries... (13+ / 0-)

...by invading them and destabilizing them.

We have an obligation to save those who are BEGGING for help in Iraq. If we sit idly by and watch them die when we could have stepped in and saved them, the blood is on OUR hands, IMO.

You may disagree with that POV...and that's fine. This is just how I feel, and I support the president for acting while the U.N talks (...and talks...and talks...)

I have never been fond of holding my nose and doing anything...even when someone farts in the elevator.

by Love Me Slender on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 06:54:00 AM PDT

•  We can't wait for the UN forever (7+ / 0-)

Yes, international opinion matters. But international opinion is not just the UN. Sadly, the UN has shown itself utterly incompetent at stopping mass atrocities over a period of decades (whether Syria today or Srebrenica in 1995).

•  substiture Gaza for Iraq (3+ / 0-)
      We have an obligation to save those who are BEGGING for help in Iraq.

While Palestinians died in the hundreds (close to 2000), all "our elected" did was spout, Israel has the right to defend itself, while restocking Israel's munitions plus sending them close to another billion dollars.

Wasn't that a massive slaughter also?

USG seems to be quite selective about "sitting idly by and watching them die."

_______________The DOD/ War Department, which consumes 22% of the national budget, is the world's largest employer with 3.2 million employees.

by allenjo on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 07:18:40 AM PDT

•  You can't substitute one for the other (4+ / 0-)
        Tony Situ, askew, Love Me Slender, daeros

unless you are prepared to remove literally every factor beyond "people will die".

I am well on record as being pro-P in the I/P 'debates' here but even I can see the difference. And it is stark.

I've got three tools in my arsenal: my voice, my wallet and my vote.

by ExpatGirl on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 07:52:17 AM PDT

•  Not even remotely the same situation... (2+ / 0-)
        daeros, riesling

...or the same active participants...the very definition of a strawman argument.

by Love Me Slender on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 08:49:12 AM PDT

•  Israeli officials are shocked beyond belief (0+ / 0-)

at even the restrained criticism they got from Kerry and Obama over bombing UN schools. (I have posted photos from a UNRWA education project in Gaza what I play a part in, but I'll let it go this time.)

As these things are reckoned, that was a strong move, a radical change from previous US policy.

What would they do if the US actually stood up for US interests in peace in I/P, unequivocally condemning all of the violations of International Law, and cutting off military aid? Well, we know the answer to that. They would tell their Religious Right friends in the US to have a major public freakout, which would entrain the entire Republican Party and most of the Democrats in Congress.

There is no organized and entrenched opposition in the US to rescuing Yazidis from genocide.

Back off, man. I'm a logician.—GOPBusters™

by Mokurai on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 09:54:57 AM PDT

•  I had to shake my head when I heard this: (0+ / 0-)
        When we face a situation like we do on that mountain -- with innocent people facing the prospect of violence on a horrific scale, when we have a mandate to help -- in this case, a request from the Iraqi government -- and when we have the unique capabilities to help avert a massacre, then I believe the United States of America cannot turn a blind eye.  We can act, carefully and responsibly, to prevent a potential act of genocide.  That’s what we’re doing on that mountain.
        The US has the unique capability to end the slaughter in Gaza, and without dropping a single bomb: no more $3b/year, no more arms sales, no more blocking UN resolutions, and it's OVER.

Not interested in quibbling about how it's not the same situation.  It's the same in the ways that matter.  And the US shares responsibility for creating both situations.

•  unfortunately I fear it's even worse than that (2+ / 0-)
      Love Me Slender, riesling

I fear that ISIS intends to grow the point where it will be able to attack europe and the US.

There is no such thing as False hope- there is only Hope.

by daeros on Fri Aug 08, 2014 at 08:51:35 AM PDT