View Diary: ACLU of Missouri and Anonymous working to make public name of officer who shot Michael Brown (263 comments)

•  Gosh, what a fucking shame. (7+ / 0-)

An innocent person harmed?

Just terrible.

"Ronald Reagan is DEAD! His policies live on but we're doing something about THAT!"

by leftykook on Wed Aug 13, 2014 at 04:17:49 PM PDT

•  Wow your snark is heavy... (0+ / 0-)

Yeah who cares about privacy. I mean it was meant to serve a great goal right? Who cares who gets thrown through the mud... it was so we could get that cops name right!

It's so great on one hand some people here bash Ferguson for ASKING its citizens to not come out after dark as a violation of the First Amendment, but when ANON invades privacy. Hey that's totally ok!

•  The Ferguson police are behaving just this side of (15+ / 0-)

the fucking Gestapo at this point. The black citizens of that town are basically under martial law. The police have suspended all tenants of basic rules and common principal, and the citizens are just supposed to stand for it and fight on a tilted playing field. No way.

•  Perhaps I ought to write a diary explaining... (1+ / 0-)
          erichiro

St. louis politics, but first lets be clear the actions over the past few days haven't been the Ferguson police, but rather the Saint Louis County PD. Also its a bit hyperbolic to call them the gestapo. It's not as though they arrived the first night in all tactical gear and militarized Ferguson, which is still not the case only a small portion of Ferguson is what the media portrays it to be.

I also think its convenient that you have left out why the police have escalated to their current levels and it has to do with people shooting at the cops, the police helicopter, massive vandalizing and looting along Florissant Ave., including the burning of a Quicktrip market. One of the business was a Chinese restaurant that had been in business for 38 years. And just last night the violence continues as a drive by happened near the Quicktrip and Police shot another teenager in the act of a burglary.

Do I agree, with the response in force no, but lets not pretend there is no reason for it and also lets not compare this to the Gestapo. If for no other reason than it insults the victims of Nazi terror during the Third Reich.

•  St Louis County PD, Ferguson PD (7+ / 0-)

NYPD, LAPD....or any group of law enforcement officer around the country. Take your pick They are all part of a "brotherhood" a "fraternity", and it's the culture of the police in this country that is the problem. Any time a innocent minority is killed (we can go all the way back to Amadou Diallo, for example) police groups AS A WHOLE in this country rally behind the shield, the blue wall of silence. Name ONE incident in the last 2 decades where a cop was perceived to be in the right, whether it is filling a young immigrant with 41 bullet holes for reaching to get his wallet or gunning down a young man in the street and executing him while he tries to run away. No amount of looting is equal to what the police in this country get away with. The scales don't balance. Police as a whole are perfectly fine with murder as long as it is protecting their "tribe", because if nothing else, the idea that police as infallible and always, ALWAYS in the right must be preserved.

•  Yeah you're right... (0+ / 0-)

The police are never justified when they use force against criminals. I think we should just abolish the police forces after all. I mean each and every cop is just a cold blooded killer waiting to take the opportunity to kill, especially the poor, the homeless, the blacks, the latinos, etc.. I mean every single person killed or shot by police is innocent right?

I surprised you were able to write "Name ONE incident in the last 2 decades where a cop was perceived to be in the right,  whether it is filling a young immigrant with 41 bullet holes for reaching to get his wallet or gunning down a young man in the street and executing him while he tries to run away."
              You really don't think there is ONE incident in this country in the past twenty years where police have used forced justifiably? I wouldn't want to be a cop in that world.

In any case I'm getting off track because you're trying to bait me into defend this cop, which I'm not. I've said repeatedly that his actions were wrong, and he should be prosecuted, but right now releasing his name does nothing. Let's let the investigation play out.

•  My point was quite obviously (5+ / 0-)

not to try to say that cops have never been justified in using force, but to say (and this was worded wrong since I typed it too fast) that when a innocent minority is killed, there is not ONE instance where the police officer is not given the benefit of the doubt. They are always held up as in the right by their superiors, politicians and the media. ALWAYS. Even when we have video evidence of them choking a man to death for selling untaxed cigarettes, or eyewitnesses describing an execution for (at worst) jaywalking, or the story that has broken just in the last few hours of the LAPD officer giving the order to "shoot him" in regards to a mentally ill 25 year old black man and handcuffing him after the fact. That happened as we were having this discussion. It is pervasive, it is endemic, and it is a cancer in our society.

•  Are you being a dick on purpose. The dead man (2+ / 0-)
                Schneewolfe, pitbullgirl65

was not a criminal.  Are you trying to claim that Mr. Diallo was a criminal, and that is why the NYPD stuck a broom handle so far up his rectum that he died of it?  A black man is killed by police and security people at least once every 28 hours in this country.  Very few are felons, most are just going about their business.  Read about Albuquerque for a primer on the lawlessness of the police in this country today.

Patriotism may be the last refuge of scoundrels, but religion is assuredly the first.

by StrayCat on Wed Aug 13, 2014 at 06:24:34 PM PDT

•  No just snarky... (0+ / 0-)

It seems everybody else here wishes to be a dick to me though. I think I've been called a right-wing hack, stupid,  arrogant, and a troll simply because people don't like what I have to say.

Well we actually really don't know what happened with Michael Brown. Maybe he wasn't a criminal, but maybe he was and thats the ultimate point. Did he deserve to die, no. But the facts in this case seem to suggest that a struggle did ensue.

I have no comment on Mr. Diallo or any other person killed by police. Simply because I know nothing about them. Instead, what I will comment on is that police abuse is a real thing, say for example the death of Eric Gardner and there are numerous others such as the video of the CHIP officer beating a woman senseless. The problem I have is the idea that this some how embodies the entirety of all cops in this country. It's not. I'll have to read the study where your statistics came from as there are problems I have with the methodology, but still 313 people is a lot of people and its a problem that needs to be addressed. However, it pales in comparison to the amount of deaths in minority communities due to drugs and other violent activities.

I'm sorry I just won't join the anti-cop crowd on this site. I'm not into the whole police bashing.

•  You haven't read the study, and you already have (1+ / 0-)
                    Schneewolfe

a problem with the methodology?  You are a geenius.  Is there an article about the methodology out there?  And even id so, how can you come to a conclusion without having read the study first.

by StrayCat on Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 05:27:14 AM PDT

•  No I haven't read the study in its entirety... (0+ / 0-)

However, I have glanced through it. Plus, if you've ever read a study you know that the methodology is relatively easy to spot, because it is what makes research reproducible. Ultimately, my problem is that the study had too small a sample size to conclude the results that they did and includes not only police forces and security officials, but vigilantes. Thus my problem is the use of the statistic because it could be high or lower depending on the years used, but even as I readily admit in my original post I say thats not the point. The point is that minorities are targeted and killed far too often by people hired to supposedly protect them and that is a problem.

It really is incredulous that out of my entire post you would focus on that singular phrase in my entire argument.

I'm beginning to think you aren't worth engaging further. Which is a shame, because I'd probably take a guess that we agree on far more things than we disagree on.

•  Shot in the back (0+ / 0-)

Shot in the back in my opinion means homicide.  How many times does someone shot in the back threaten a police officer? And how many bullets did he get in the back?

•  Like I've said for probably (0+ / 0-)

at least a dozen times. I don't think the officer was justified in his actions. Mr. Brown shouldn't have died.

The problem I have is rushing to far too many conclusions about the whole situation. For one, we have no idea if he was shot in the back or in the front or both. The eyewitness accounts have conflicted on that point. They all do agree that the victim was fleeing the scene and was shot by the police officer. Thats utterly incomprehensible to me.

•  Also I think you might like to know. (0+ / 0-)

Amadou Diallo was shot and killed by New York City Police not sexual assaulted. The four officers involved were indicted, but acquitted by an Albany jury.

Abner Louima was the gentleman sexual assaulted by the New York City police, but thankful he didn't die of his injuries. The main assailant, was sentenced to 30 years in prison and his accomplice 5 years. Others were indicted as well, but their convictions were overturned on appeal.

•  No, the suppression of the protest marches were (2+ / 0-)
            tikkun, Schneewolfe

carries out by officers of the Ferguson pd with the help of the other departments in the county.  Ferguson looks a little like Fallujah just before the infasion.

by StrayCat on Wed Aug 13, 2014 at 06:19:58 PM PDT

•  Your concern for a killer cop (2+ / 0-)
        tikkun, Schneewolfe

is less than admirable.

Shirley Chisholm was right. Our Republic is in deep trouble.

by Big River Bandido on Wed Aug 13, 2014 at 08:15:47 PM PDT

•  Asking at the point of a gun (0+ / 0-)

isn't really asking.

For real Texas Kaos, you want texaskaos.net, not .com. Before you win, you have to fight. Come fight along with us

by boadicea on Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 07:34:01 AM PDT