View Diary: Ferguson is what happens when the police become the military (171 comments)

•  Yet I bet that selfsame NRA (13+ / 0-)

doesn't have anything to say about it.

"Much of movement conservatism is a con and the base is the marks." -- Chris Hayes

by raptavio on Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 07:30:49 AM PDT

•  Ugh... (11+ / 0-)

You'd be wrong...

There's a large fringe within the NRA that will use these photos as proof that we all must be armed with similar style weapons in order to fight the government.

We're starting an arms race right here in the United States.  I'd rather not be part of it, and like to not get caught in the middle of it.

•  If I'm wrong, (1+ / 0-)
        RobertInWisconsin

please link their statement.

by raptavio on Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 07:42:44 AM PDT

•  No, this strengthens the gun lobby's hand (5+ / 0-)

Sorry, but when govt. comes down in the violent and absurd way upon citizens of Ferguson, the NRA will say "See! You need to be armed to the teeth!"

And the Tea Party? Same deal. They'll say that it shows and out of control govt. that needs to be fought tooth and nail with every weapon that can be acquired.

This is EXACTLY how repression happen. This is exactly how the ratcheting down of police states occurs. More weapons in everyone's hands and a Orwellian PD that is ready to kill the people (black) whom they are supposed to protect.

It is in the admission of ignorance and the admission of uncertainty that there is a hope for the continuous motion of human beings in some direction that doesn't get confined, permanently blocked, as it has so many times before... Richard P. Feynman

by TerryDarc on Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 07:45:09 AM PDT

•  You're off base here (14+ / 0-)

The NRA has NO PROBLEM with the government coming down in violent and absurd ways on peaceful protesters, as long as those protesters are black or liberal.  To the NRA they are the "bad guys" you need to meet with a gun, whether they are armed or not.  It's only white, conservative protesters with guns that the NRA wants to protect.

"For every problem, there is a solution that is simple, clean, and wrong." --H. L. Mencken

by mcstowy on Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 07:50:47 AM PDT

•  True but "selling to both sides" arms race = $$ (3+ / 0-)

which is what arms sellers have always done... much more profitable to keep both sides arming up and wary if not fighting... and continually upping the ante in an arms race.

Pogo & Murphy's Law, every time. Also "Trust but verify" - St. Ronnie (hah...)

by IreGyre on Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 08:22:42 AM PDT

•  In the gun-related forum I regularly read (3+ / 0-)
            stargaze, mcstowy, jrooth

there is a large dose of hatred for both people of color and for the police.  I checked today, and their discussions about Ferguson started with their usual racist talk about Black people, but as soon as the proof that reporters were being assaulted and arrested came out, they got very quiet, with a few people beginning to lambast the police.

I would venture to say that there is 90% membership in the NRA in that forum.  I believe that the NRA fosters and nurtures both of these hatreds, since they both inspire gun and ammunition sales.

"If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies." Moshe Dayan

by TParrish on Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 08:32:44 AM PDT

•  Good point (2+ / 0-)
              PJEvans, jrooth

to you and IreGyre as well.  But the NRA can NEVER admit or even appear to be promoting arms among people of color, because they would lose 99% of their supporters.

by mcstowy on Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 08:41:18 AM PDT

•  I absolutely agree with that, AND I agree with (1+ / 0-)
                mcstowy

anyone who feels the NRA might be very conflicted about what to say about Ferguson.  If they come out against the police it will be through the use of phrases like "any American citizen", and "the general population".  They have to avoid looking as if they are outraged at racism.

by TParrish on Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 08:46:54 AM PDT

•  Thanks for misunderstanding my comment, mcstowy (0+ / 0-)

I said nothing about the pleasure the NRA gets from the repression of POC. They surely have their share and more of racist swine.

What I SAID was that this all works to their advantage by amping up the violence in Ferguson leading to a need for more weapons in everyone's hands. Great for gun sales.

by TerryDarc on Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 08:56:23 AM PDT

•  The NRA (3+ / 0-)
            mcstowy, Kit RMP, earthling1

says we liberals are the bad guys because we want to take away their guns and restrict the types of weapons available.

I am a liberal. I am also white, over 60 and a veteran. Up until now, I have opposed the NRA and in some ways still do. But, looking at what is happening in America today, not just in Ferguson, but in NYC and LA, I feel I should arm myself not to defend myself against black or Hispanic criminals, but against the police and the possibility of a police state.

I'm beginning to fear the police and my government, two entities that can take it upon themselves to imprison me without charge or trial if they see fit (under the Patriot Act) or kill me without due process if they believe I am a "threat".

Okay, I'm an old white guy and probably don't have as much to fear as a black or Hispanic man. But I still believe the words of Martin Niemoller and the warning of Sinclair Lewis that yes, it can happen here.