View Diary: Michael Brown's killer identified (447 comments)

•  Uhhh (1+ / 0-)
    TomP

They said an innocent person was the shooter

How does that not bother you?

•  Anon is a collective and a decentralized one at (6+ / 0-)

that. More often than not they get things right and have been instrumental in bringing abuses and injustices to light - such as the Steubenville rape case - massive media blackout on the para-military attacks on Occupy Wall Street - and correcting the traditional media when they act as stenographers rather than reporters.

I guess I'm just as bothered as when the traditional media reports for about an hour that the ACA has been overturned by the Supreme court before actually reading the decision.

Hey Kos! Yes it is dumb to say the parties are exactly the same on every issue - but it is dangerous and willfully ignorant to not acknowledge when their rhetoric is different but the ECONOMIC outcomes are the same.

by Tool on Fri Aug 15, 2014 at 07:22:05 AM PDT

•  ^This, and (2+ / 0-)
        Tool, tickledpeep

Richard Jewell, anyone?

Look, I'm not saying that releasing the wrong name is excusable. I am saying that ruining innocent people's lives is not the sole purview of Anonymous. In fact, I contend we're looking at one instance -- which, for all we know, COULD have been a glaring mistake -- versus a very calculated and institutionalized MO among law enforcement.

Again, I'm not necessarily defending them -- just adding some context. And we still don't really know the whole story.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. -- M. Gustave

by Eagles92 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 at 08:01:54 AM PDT

•  No one was going to get hurt (0+ / 0-)

Because they misread the legal opinion and correcting it minutes later

•  All the more reason for them to be (2+ / 0-)
        Tool, DebFrmHell

exceedingly careful. The decentralization requires some thought go into procedures to avoid just this kind of thing.

The point here isn't whether or not one approves of the overall work of Anonymous, but about putting people unnecessarily in harm's way.

And, FTR: I get just as upset when the media make these kinds of egregious mistakes that put people at risk, like with the Atlanta Olympics or Boston Marathon bombing cases.  If you are seeking to be an antidote to the excesses and errors of the MS media, then you do need to avoid the pitfalls that said MS media falls into.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Fri Aug 15, 2014 at 08:16:06 AM PDT

•  It bothers me, but... (2+ / 0-)
      Eagles92, tickledpeep

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if I learned that Brian Willman was instrumental in giving up the name of Darren Wilson.  He probably didn't drop the dime himself, but I'd bet he was on the phone begging others to clear up the misunderstanding.

You can't spell CRAZY without R-AZ.

by rb608 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 at 07:55:57 AM PDT

•  Hm. (1+ / 0-)
        rb608

Hadn't thought of that. Sounds plausible.

by Eagles92 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 at 08:03:55 AM PDT

•  I find that a really troubling rationalization. (2+ / 0-)
        rb608, DebFrmHell

Whether or not it was your intention to rationalize Anonymous's accusing a man of a crime he didn't commit, thereby subjecting him and his family to harassment and potential violence, that's what your comment is doing.

And it's really, really troubling. Would they have been justified in naming any member of the Ferguson PD and saying "that's the person who killed Michael Brown," because it would put pressure on the force to release the actual name? That would basically be taking hostages by dox threat.

by JamesGG on Fri Aug 15, 2014 at 08:12:25 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I'm not comfortable with that (1+ / 0-)
          JamesGG

rationalization either.  While I can't deny I find some karmic balance in using a police interrogation intimidation tactic against the police department itself, the truism that "we're better than that" continues to dominate my thinking.

You can't spell CRAZY without R-AZ.

by rb608 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 at 08:34:25 AM PDT