View Diary: Ferguson, Missouri: I think I felt the wind change... (319 comments)

•  The wind has definitely changed (37+ / 0-)

in at least one respect: There will be measures to roll back the militarization of the police force. And that is a huge result. We've been howling about this for years here in Portland OR. Now we have hope that something will finally be done.

I was a peripheral visionary. I could see the future, but only way off to the side. ~ Steven Wright

by Bugsby on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 09:44:45 AM PDT

•  I will celebrate that when I actually see results. (29+ / 0-)

"To take another person's life from the bench is no better than to take another person's life from the street"

by commonmass on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 09:51:20 AM PDT

•  I doubt they'll be forced to give up their toys. (14+ / 0-)

They may get fewer new toys in the future, but I doubt police armament will be rolled back. Only when these excessive military weapons are used against white demonstrators, will there be a meaningful out cry. Cliven Bundy was supported by armed white militia aiming military grade weapons at police and federal officers. Not an armored car or SWAT tea in sight. Why's was that? Why is an old white guy who stolen millions from the government still free and for many a hero, while a black kid that stole a few dollars worth of cigars dead in the street with multiple bullet wounds? Why are those that aimed loaded assault weapons at state and federal officers still free?

•  One reason is that cops are afraid (7+ / 0-)

Of the crazy white fucks with the big guns. It's a lot easier to pick on poor black and brown people minding their own business who don't pose an immediate threat to fight back.

Just another day in Oceania.

by drshatterhand on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 11:01:31 AM PDT

•  No they aren't; they're all on the same side, (0+ / 0-)

killing & keeping the negro under a jack boot.

I voted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 because it is my right, my responsibility and because my parents moved from Alabama to Ohio to vote. Unfortunately, the republicons want to turn Ohio into Alabama.

by a2nite on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 01:37:03 PM PDT

•  Not with you on Michael Brown, agree on the toys (4+ / 0-)
        NWTerriD, lostboyjim, shenderson, Woody

I think turning the allegation of petty, unarmed theft into a part of the description of Michael Brown is unwarranted at this time.  Any connection has yet to be demonstrated in any meaningful way, much less proven.  Otherwise, I think your point is well taken.  Looking as the protesters and the news crews covering them, vs. the Bundy ranch militia - where indeed was the equivalent response to a much more dangerous and outrageous situation when the police faced the radical right?

I know and like most of my local police force: three out of five ain't bad.  But even in my small Northern New England town, so white that the bigots don't have to take off two mittens to count the local citizens of color, we have that same militarization.  What they will ever do with the stuff they get from the military is hard to imagine.  But like all things bureaucratic, divesting of that stuff will not be easy.  For one thing, where are they going to send it?  You can't just hold a surplus auction for an armored vehicle and machine guns.

•  One of these people has more value than the other (0+ / 0-)

by a2nite on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 01:39:58 PM PDT

•  Well, yeah, and we all thought (2+ / 0-)
      llywrch, chrismorgan

we'd see some reform of gun laws after Sandy Hook. I don't thinks there will be measures to roll back what already exists. I'm hopeful of some possibility that there will be measures to slow down additional arming. That hope exists only because some of the RWers now agree with the goal. But you're right, even that is a silver lining.

"These are not candidates. These are the empty stand-ins for lobbyists' policies to be legislated later." - Chimpy, 9/24/10

by NWTerriD on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 01:07:28 PM PDT

•  You've Got to Be Kidding (2+ / 0-)
      Bugsby, Woody

Hellooooooooooo??

are you aware of what Congress is up to? The militarization of "our" police departments is considered a secondary market for the MIC.

Just this past June, Rep. Alan Grayson tried to do something about this:

The group’s new report looked at a June congressional vote on legislation, offered by U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson, D-Fla., that would have blocked the Pentagon from spending resources on transferring military hardware to local police agencies   . The bill was defeated 62-355.

According to data compiled by Maplight, the lawmakers “voting to continue funding the 1033 Program have received, on average, 73 percent more money from the defense industry than representatives voting to defund it.” In all, the average lawmaker voting against the bill received more than $50,000 in campaign donations from the defense industry in the last two years. The report also found that of the 59 lawmakers who received more than $100,000  from defense contractors in the last two years, only four voted for Grayson’s legislation.

I don't have all of the info yet, but just how many of those 59 representatives are democrats??

Only 62 congresspeople voted for Grayson's legislations. let's go ahead and dispense with the baloney "the teabaggers defeated this legislation".

One more time: congress is a HUGE problem; including numerous democrats who just don't get it.

"We are beyond law, which is not unusual for an empire; unfortunately, we are also beyond common sense." Gore Vidal

by Superpole on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 01:49:23 PM PDT