View Diary: Ferguson, Missouri: I think I felt the wind change... (319 comments)

•  Yes... (12+ / 0-)

but when Truman and Eisenhower did it, the situations were far, far more volatile than this one. Despite how it felt to us, it wasn't on the same level, and the political climate was very different.

It was important in this situation that the Governor of MO take action, not the POTUS. The POTUS did what he had to (and we won't know exactly what that was for a while, probably)) to make sure that this action came from the right place.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 10:42:33 AM PDT

•  No, it was exactly the same political climate: (3+ / 0-)
      a2nite, mod2lib, Ditch Mitch KY

rampant, national, racial hatred. The only thing different is that those presidents were WHITE. IN fact, it was a worse political climate in many ways, or at least legally so.

Let's talk in a year and see just what "level" this is on, because I can guarantee you the next time this happens--and it will, in fact it already has, in LA since the Brown murder--the next situation and police response will be even worse.

Mark my words: we're in for several years of hate, riots, and civil unrest. The baby, so to speak, has been delivered, and Mother Hate has been pregnant for decades.

"To take another person's life from the bench is no better than to take another person's life from the street"

by commonmass on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 10:47:30 AM PDT

•  Again, I respectfully disagree (8+ / 0-)

this is at the moment an extremely isolated (in geographic) event that is particularly and specifically tied to one locality. That is a not unimportant distinction.

I understand exactly where you are coming from and your passions, and I do understand that the underlying sentiments that are fueling this particular set of community responses exist in many other communities, but this is NOT the same level of racial tension that those earlier events displayed.

We don't do ourselves any favors in drawing either vague or inaccurate parallels. It is a dynamic of the present even though it has echoes in the past.

by a gilas girl on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 11:04:01 AM PDT

•  Like I said, let's talk in a year. (0+ / 0-)

You can always say you told me so. ;)

I don't think this is as localized as you think. Even if it is, it's totally unacceptable.

by commonmass on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 11:29:43 AM PDT

•  Your patronizing tone is not doing anyone any (0+ / 0-)

favors, either.

You didn't live through those times and you're not living in 'Ferguson now, so you don't know anymore than anyone else in comparing the two.  We tend to exaggerate how bad things were and downplay how bad they are.  We're living in a time that is pretty horrid; it's just that not many of us are being personally affected.  At those times, there were many, many, many people who didn't think it was all that bad - because they weren't being personally affected.

Unless you're there now - and were there then - please don't deign to educate the rest of us on just how much tension existed at each time.

•  I did live through some of those times (2+ / 0-)
            Dvalkure, Mark Sumner

which is neither here nor there at this point.  But I do have some historical resources and experiences that indicate that these two periods are not good candidates for parallels, which is the only point I was trying to make.

It appears I expressed that point badly, given the way you interpreted my comment, so I will apologize for the sloppy prose. I didn't intend to make arguments about feelings on the ground, but about broader historical factors but I can see where I chose my words poorly which might lend to that interpretation.  Being patronizing was also not an intention, as I tried very hard to indicate with my word choice, but you comment again suggests that I was not successful there either.

I guess we'll just have to chalk this up to bad writing on my part.

by a gilas girl on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 11:59:30 AM PDT

•  Cut the patronizing patronizing crap (2+ / 0-)
            chrismorgan, arabian

Uncalled for, and it's not in her comments either.

To be on the wrong side of Dick Cheney is to be on the right side of history.

by mbayrob on Sun Aug 17, 2014 at 01:19:06 PM PDT