View Diary: SCOTUS: Actually, We've Already Won (350 comments)

•  If this is winning (4.00)
    why do I feel so bad?

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

by DCDemocrat on Wed Jul 20, 2005 at 07:30:00 AM PDT

•  I'm not exactly doing cartwheels either... (none)
      but my guess is that the wingers are putting on their best face, to avoid causing more trouble for their embattled Architect.

I don't think that there are any Russians, and there ain't no Yanks... just corporate criminals playing with tanks. - Michael Been

by gp39m on Wed Jul 20, 2005 at 07:35:49 AM PDT

•  The wingers are overjoyed (4.00)
        This guy worked in the Reagan White House among other places, so he has many connections with The Right Wing. They know him and love him because he is one of them.

Conservatives are not smiling for the camera, they are basking in the glow.

Fox News: We Report, You Die

by Reino on Wed Jul 20, 2005 at 07:40:58 AM PDT

•  For this reason (none)

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

by DCDemocrat on Wed Jul 20, 2005 at 07:43:20 AM PDT

•  the hard religious right (4.00)
          is genuinely pleased by this guy.

I'm a homeschooler.  Not Christian, but I am on a lot of their lists.

They know this guy, they trust him, they are 100% confident in how he will rule on the issues that they care about.  (those involving sex, primarily).

Many of them are also thrilled that by picking a white man, Bush is rejecting the idea that he has to compromise with anyone, anywhere, over anything.

I can't tell you how many 'praise the Lord' for Bush posts I've seen from the religious right in the past 12 hours.

•  "putting on their best face" (none)
        you might want to change that to  mask.the guy only has 2 yrs as a judge, this unkown has been groomed,looks like a trogan horse to me.
    •  because it's not winning! this is ridiculous... (4.00)
      Roberts is ultra-conservative, anti-choice, pro-religion, anti-environment, 100% pro Bush policies on the war prisoners and military tribunals. this is a NIGHTMARE
      •  yes (none)
        this is a loss, and styling it a win is delusional.  I agree.

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

by DCDemocrat on Wed Jul 20, 2005 at 08:14:11 AM PDT

•  what then, (none)
          would have been a win? Bush and his entire administration to resign en masse and check themselves into prison? (personal fantasy of mine)

This was never going to be a clear win. We've got to build into our plan a Bush nominee being confirmed, but still not derailing victory in 2006 & 2008. If your plan is to not let Bush appoint anyone, then I don't see that as reasonable.

But I'm seriously curious to hear you describe what a "win" would have looked like.

All extremists are irrational and should be exposed

by SeanF on Wed Jul 20, 2005 at 08:19:10 AM PDT

•  There was no possibility of winning (4.00)
            Every possibility, including this one, would have been a loss.  We had no choice but to lose, and this choice, cast as a win, is delusional thinking.  Mark my words, Roberts is a disaster for us.

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

by DCDemocrat on Wed Jul 20, 2005 at 08:23:12 AM PDT

•  Someone like Gonsalez was definitely a possibility (none)
              THat would have been a win.
            •  i like the front page comment (none)
              that indicates you use it to your advantage for future battles. Use it as a way to define your party and create a positive identity that resonates. Look at the actual nomination battle as a strategic retreat that sets you up for the near future in a larger war, and then it doesn't seem so horrible.

I understand your point that the raw impact of how Roberts may influence the court is not a victory, and could be quite horrible. But that doesn't mean that we can't make the most of it.

All extremists are irrational and should be exposed

by SeanF on Wed Jul 20, 2005 at 09:42:19 AM PDT

•  Wrong to call this a win, but (none)
            there is no way we were going to get a win at the point of Bush's nominating someone.

If he nominated a crazy and we were able to beat him/her, that would be a win.

If we are able to get Roberts to declare himself relatively clearly, via the Ackerman test, as to where he stands vis-a-vis some of Scalia's and Thomas' wilder opinions/positions, that would at least be a meaningful consolation prize in the level of public awareness and media coverage of how extreme S & T are; it's not a win, but it may be a base for future wins.

•  I agree (none)
        it is a nightmare and it is doing us no good to keep pretending this guy is anything but horrendous for the nation.

I know that the chances of a successful filibuster on his nomination are slim, but I disagree that it would be harmful to try.  The reasons this guy - and Bush - are disastrous need to be on t.v. every day, regardless of how the Republicans spin it.

I appreciated Howard Dean's comments on this nomination and I hope the rest of the Democrats take that attitude.