View Diary: What Could Possibly Go Wrong Just Did. Georgia's Carry Protection Act in Action (366 comments)

•  Meh, I heard that there's also some type of (23+ / 0-)

German alpine themed town in Washington State.

I've been meaning to make my way there for the past 20 or 25 years but never gotten around to it.

But now that that particular state has taken a rather enlightened perspective towards certain medicinal compounds, I might make visiting that particular site just a tad higher priority.

Although historical Colonial Williamsburg is just a tad closer.

It's quite the conundrum, quite frankly!!

•  Williamsburg haz gingerbread. Yum. nt (15+ / 0-)

"The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?" ~Orwell, "1984"

by Lily O Lady on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 07:56:48 AM PDT

•  Yeah, but they're also on the edge of (5+ / 0-)

hurricane evacuation zone.

I mean really, in the age of global warming (with the alleged enhancement in hurricane occurrence), who wants  to got there?

•  I hadn't thought of that. nt (4+ / 0-)

by Lily O Lady on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 08:02:42 AM PDT

•  Yeah, I guess one could always plan one's visit (11+ / 0-)

for the off-hurricane season.

But of course, the vexing question is would the Busch Gardens and (whatever the freakin' name is of the) WaterPark then be open?

Because seriously, this is not someplace I"d willingly go w/o being dragged there by younger generations of the extended family.

Much like the Celine Dion concert of ~15 years ago, which I am still traumatized from to this very day.

•  :D (7+ / 0-)

by Lily O Lady on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 08:11:12 AM PDT

•  And who wouldn't be traumatized by that (0+ / 0-)

clam shelled face of no voice, no talent wannabe! YIKES!

•  Nothing like being bellowed at for a couple hours. (1+ / 0-)
              Icebag

Republicans - A pathology, not a party.

by storeysound on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 12:34:49 PM PDT

•  Ha, ha, ha... (0+ / 0-)

You must be Cajun or live/lived in Acadiana, Louisiana... "meh" is typical colloquialism from the area.

You're funny... that Celine Dion observation made me lol... it would be torture for me too... the best cure is for you to go purge your memory banks by going to a Steve Hackett concert or Brit Floyd... I did go to see these two extraordinaire shows this summer.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able ? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing ? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing ? Then whence cometh evil ? Is he neither able nor willing ? Then why call him God. Epicurus 33AD

by electrostat on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 04:23:34 PM PDT

•  Actually, Williamsburg is rather nice all year. (0+ / 0-)

Avoid holidays and weekends if possible, as it's more crowded then. But weekdays, even before or after holidays, is nice. Check Virginia tourism websites to get Williamsburg and Yorktown schedules. Some of the Williamsburg historical village buildings may be closed parts of the winter, and others may be open. But early autumn or late spring are really nice times of the year there. Mid-summer and August are too hot.

Also visit Yorktown (other end of Colonial Parkway). And follow the historical markers around town (free) for the history education value. If you have kids in high school, this all fits in nicely with their American History studies.

The Williamsburg and Yorktown visitor centers both have some interesting displays and run some free educational films throughout the day.

And Fredricksburg is just another hours drive down I-95.

Pepper Tree in downtown Williamsburg is a good restaurant.

Lots of good touristy gift shops and art galleries in both Williamsburg and Yorktown.

Do Busch Gardens only of you have kids with you or you really enjoy roller coasters. The Bavarian Gardens (big tavern with themed dance entertainment) is a good place in the theme park to hang out with the other adults in your party while the kids do the rides thing. Some of the shows and displays are also interesting. But it's not worth the admission price unless you have kids or young adults with you.

•  I went there while attending (1+ / 0-)
                bethann

US Army Quartermaster School at Fort Lee, Va in the early 1970s. I'd rent a car and go to VA Beach too. I was pretty interested in the taverns way back then but the history was important, too. There are a ton of Civil War sites, too, in Petersburg (?). I remember peanut farms, too.

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.---George Orwell

by okpkpkp on Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 01:21:44 PM PDT

•  I was in Wmsburg at the end of April this year. (1+ / 0-)
                bethann

It was quite lovely, and not all that crowded. This discussion makes me want to go back!
                I really enjoyed my meal at the DoG [for Duke of Gloucester] Street Pub. Serious pub food, and lots and lots of beers. Noisy but fun.

Support Small Business: Shop Kos Katalogue If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Fri Aug 22, 2014 at 08:28:21 AM PDT

•  Williamsburg, Yorktown and so much more. (0+ / 0-)

This part of Virginia is so rich in things to see it's worth a week.  Jamestown, America's first successful English settlement (1607) is also off the Colonial Parkway and is utterly fascinating.  Unlike the Pilgrims of Plymouth, who were dealing with native peoples who'd known English cod fishermen for centuries (Squanto spoke English and had been to England), the men of Jamestown encountered the Powhattan, who quickly saw the threat they posed and tried hard to eliminate them.  Combined with the fact that they arrived during a terrible drought that made game and wild growing edibles very scarce, they barely survived 'The Starving Time'.

Then there are the many, many plantations of the James River - starting with George Washington's Mount Vernon, which every American should see.  Within a few minutes drive of MV are George Mason's elegant farm and the home of one of Washington's beloved step daughters.  The wonderful town of Alexandria, so full of historically important sights, makes a good home base for exploring these important homes.  Williamsburg itself is perfect for the rest of the trip; don't miss Stratford Hall, birthplace of Robert E Lee, or Berkeley Plantation, site of the real first Thanksgiving, and considered the most historically significant of the James River plantations.

•  We went to Williamsburg after we were (3+ / 0-)
          nellgwen, Lily O Lady, WakeUpNeo

evacuated from Bonnie.

...Son, those Elephants always look out for themselves. If you happen to get a crumb or two from their policies, it's a complete coincidence. -Malharden's Dad

by slowbutsure on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 11:27:49 AM PDT

•  Yes, Williamsburg has gingerbread ... (10+ / 0-)

Washington has brownies :-)

Free: The Authoritarians - all about those who follow strong leaders.

by kbman on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 11:03:15 AM PDT

•  That would be Leavenworth, WA. (16+ / 0-)

It has two nice miniature golf courses and a splendid holiday-but-mostly-Christmas-stuff-year-round shop, but for the most part it's just a little on the creepy side.

Dick Cheney 2/14/10: "I was a big supporter of waterboarding"

by Bob Love on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 08:22:01 AM PDT

•  It does (5+ / 0-)

It's Leavenworth. I visited there once when I lived in Seattle.  That I didn't return is an indication of its allure. Fortunately, I now live much closer to the Alps if I want to check out the real thing.

•  I've been to both, and both are wonderful places (11+ / 0-)

in gorgeous settings. The one in Georgia is on the Chattahoochee River, so summer brings thousands of families tubing the slow and shallow river. In Leavenworth, WA, the town during Christmas is like a post card.

Of the almost 1,900 dead Palestinians, the IDF said it killed "900 terrorists" in Gaza. Add that to its long list of lies.

by pajoly on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 09:23:57 AM PDT

•  Next then, you need to go to Solvang, CA. (0+ / 0-)

That will be the hat trick!

© grover

by grover on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 02:05:00 PM PDT

•   Why not visit some real German-American towns (18+ / 0-)

like New Braunfels, Comfort and Fredericksburg, TX, et al?

Founded by German immigrants, and until a few years ago they had a very strong actual German culture, not just the kitzy tourist stuff. German was spoken almost as often as English until recently, privately and publicly (the elders in my family spoke it at home and amongst themselves, we young'uns in the '40's/'50's mostly didn't pick it up  ;[ ).

New Braunfels, and to a lesser extent, Fredericksburg, are very tourist oriented towns too.
      New Braunfels has springs and rivers, microbrew, Shlitterbahn AP, and Landa Park; Fredburg has history and vinyards; all have FOOD, and lots of other stuff.

Comfort and Fredburg were some of the original 'liberal' places in America, as in "Freethinkers". A bunch of them, non-violent pacifists, were even slaughtered by slaveholding Confederates in the Civil War.
      Each place (and many others around here) have long, very interesting, histories.

"The church of life is not in a building, it is the open sky, the surrounding ocean, the beautiful soil"...George Helm, 1/1977

by Bluefin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 09:45:15 AM PDT

•  Are you seriously suggesting that I visit TX? (3+ / 0-)
        Bluefin, SMWalt, gffish

WTF??

but I suspect you're just fucking with me, nicely played!!!

•  Texas is an amazing place with great history. (12+ / 0-)

The towns cited above are very cool, especially the small hamlet of Gruene which is part of New Braunfels. Fredericksburg has a reputation of not liking black people, but my family is black and we have never had any issues.

There are lots of good people in Texas, far far more than the crazy bad. I hope that you are just joking and not actually fearful to visit such a rich place because of preconceived notions.

•  And I hope that YOU are joking that (2+ / 0-)
            ichibon, gffish

I should not be fearful to visit such a place that promotes open carry of firearms, executes innocent people, etc.

No thanks!!

•  Well, I'm sorry that you are so fearful. (6+ / 0-)

It's unfortunate, in my opinion, to miss out on visiting new and interesting places because of the possibility that something might happen. I mean, do you drive? Because the likelihood of being killed or injured in a car accident is far greater than being shot and killed here in Texas or in anywhere else.

As to open carry, there are a small number of asshole here doing that. Most people by far do not like it. The assholes in office in Austin that promote it are the real problem. We are working on that. We could use some support from outside the state in to for of people not perpetuating false assumptions about the state, such as the idea that everyone is walking around with guns and killing people, since that's not even close to the truth.

As to executions, yep, Texas is a fucked up place in that regard.  It's amazingly awful. I understand California has a serious problem with throwing away the key on people on death row and leaving them locked up in solitary indefinitely. Human rights organizations are all over CA for that cruel and unusual treatment that many people believe is a form of torture. I also understand California has a whole shitload of crazy gun people who have the same seditious beliefs as the open carry people in Texas. Do you ever travel there? Because I love California and am way more afraid of the goddamn 405 than all of that.

Would you be willing to travel to New Orleans for a visit? LA has even crazier gun laws than Texas and even more crazy people. But it's an incredible place with lots of good people too.

And I just remembered my buddies up in Washington State. Holy shit are there some right wing crazies, especially Neo Nazis and White Supremacists up there. Oregon has those as well.

Which reminds me, my home state of Massachusetts, the most progressive state in the US, has this enormous problem with gay bashing in and around Boston. I mean, just a whole lot of it. It happens all the time. The odds of getting bashed on the street by some broseph jock assholes is way higher than getting shot in Texas by an open carry person, especially since so far no open carry people have shot anyone. Are you willing to visit Boston or Cambridge, all things considered?

Also, too, watch out for any international travel beyond Norther Europe. Well, unless you are black or Middle Eastern or South Asian or whatever. There are some neo fascist and nazi types over there as well that might give you a beating.

In fact, seems to me there is propensity for violence in every human culture and country, IF you fit the profile of whatever Other is on the menu. I suppose the safest thing to do would be to isolate oneself at home, or among a very small and trusted group and simple call it a day. Life is to short to take risks of bing injured when a bubble is available for the making.

•  Yeah, I pretty much don't venture out of (4+ / 0-)
                bastrop, Debs2, ladybug53, laughingRabbit

my parents basement.

And your post totally reinforced how good of a strategy that is.

•  405 in WA is scarier than CA's 405. (2+ / 0-)
                bastrop, Bluefin

And 405 in Portland is terrifying.

405 in CA is fine. Just drive fast. If you plan to go slower than 90mph, take I5 or surface streets instead

;)

© grover

by grover on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 02:08:44 PM PDT

•  You know, I have no problem with he speed at all (1+ / 0-)
                  Bluefin

t's the way people drive relative to the way the road is designed. I'm specifically referencing LA here but I agree, Portland and WA are worse.

I don't know why 405 bothers me so much. I cut my teeth in Houston and Boston, with Houston being by far the worst drivers I have ever encountered in a US city and Boston being by far the most vesicularly aggressive. I dunno.

•  Really? Houston is WORSE than Boston for driving?! (3+ / 0-)
                    bastrop, grover, Bluefin

I grew up driving in Boston, luckily I was never convicted. Drove a delivery service all over north of the city from an office in the South End. I'll cut you off and double park in front of you, laughing as I get out of the van!
                    Actually, that's how I used to was. Testosterone and rage behind the wheel. Tailgating the ambulances to cut through traffic. Evil.
                    Then I lived in LA and learned herd behavior. We can all go like h3ll if we stay together.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 05:55:09 PM PDT

•  Lol. (3+ / 0-)
                      CwV, Bluefin, carrps

I love SoCal drivers. They're predictable. If you have 6" in front of you, someone will cut you off. Expect it.

In other parts of the country, you may need that 6" because the guy in front of you may slam on his brakes to stop (yes, on the freeway) to let someone else merge in.

What (polite) nonsense is this?

I too prefer the aggressive herd.

© grover

by grover on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 06:12:09 PM PDT

•  Yes Houston is worse but in different ways. (4+ / 0-)
                      CwV, Bluefin, ladybug53, Nowhere Man

Boston is my hometown as well and I still give my wife hell instinctively when she uses blinkers. "Why would you want to signal your intent? Jesus, cut them off!" I try hard not to be like that but it's still deep in my blood and comes out sometimes.

The aggression and cutthroat tactics we know so well are a product of the roads and city themselves. Cutting off is the only way to remain in play around Boston, because of double parking like you describe, and rotaries and peculiar kinks in the road that create bottle necks and lanes petering out. Think the bend near MGH on Storrow drive and you are in the left hand lane, or at the end and want to go in ANY direction, up onto the freeway, take a right to North Station, whatever. Aggressive driving is the only way to get anywhere, or so it seems when you are driving it.

In Houston you have massive freeways with 6 hand 8 lanes per direction. The mix of cars and heavy trucks due to the industrial nature of the city and economy is very heavy. Being the 4th largest city with an unofficial/undocumented extra couple million people means incredible congestion on these massive freeways every rush hour. Add to that the constant, meaning going on 10+ years in some places, construction, plus the heat and people breaking down in vehicles that an't handle it, all of these are factors that add to bad driving.

The real kicker, though, is after NYC, Houston is the next most diverse city in the US. Literally the entire world is represented here in significant numbers. In Boston significant numbers of people use public transit but in Houston, unless your extremely dedicated or your circumstance simply will not permit, it is almost impossible to live and work without a vehicle. That means everyone drives and brings their particular brand of bad driving or simply driving quirks from whatever part of the world they originate. It a real phenomenon. Houston is worse, Boston is more aggressive.

Honestly, I would take Boston any day of the week. At least there you can make a conscious choice to avoid or simply accept your fate. In Houston the distances are so great there  are few shortcuts or bypasses and no way to predict what you will encounter, save extremely long lines ant lights on surface streets and bumper to bumper it rush hour freeways.

At off times, people simply speed. Everywhere. Or drive to slow and create danger for everyone. Have you ever seen an 80 car pile up? That isn't exactly rare in HTown.

Cheers!

•  Best description of Houston driving I've ever (2+ / 0-)
                        bastrop, JayFromPA

read.
                        I spent years in Houston (in ~three month time chunks), worked all over the region (Galveston to Shiro), much of it at night; got to know almost every road and area, the traffic patterns, etc.
                        It was effen insane to a country boy.. The wrecks you saw every day were incredible. Was working just off I-45S near Hobby/Pasadena once and saw on the morning news one of those huge pileups near the 610 interchange on a foggy morning, yikes. And I had to drive back to the co. apt way out the Westside. That was the hell, having to commute all over the place at all hours with batshit crazy drivers.
                        Back home we had several vehicles and I usually took the nice luxury one off to Htown for the week/month. Commuted a lot on Westheimer, those Beamers and Mercs, Porshes, Vettes, whatever, drove me nuts cutting me off with their lane changing. One time I took a rough looking older vehicle back up there; yow, practically had Westheimer to myself, those shiny hotdogs wouldn't get near that sucker. Perceived image, baby.

by Bluefin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 07:44:05 PM PDT

•  The 710 is MUCH worse. (0+ / 0-)

I hate the 710. I don't mind the 405, though I live in WLA, and that's one of the slowest stretches.

Just stay with the flow, and you'll be fine. I'd much rather drive on the freeway than surface streets.

•  Comfort, TX has a real history. (5+ / 0-)

-7.75 -4.67

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

There are no Christians in foxholes.

by Odysseus on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 10:09:21 AM PDT

•  Yes, ?, no. Like bastrop comments', TX is a huge, (1+ / 0-)
          ER Doc

great, diverse in every way, place; so much to do and see (not particularly at this time of year, heh, it's 100'++ and humid as hell around here near the coast every day now).
          I've carried a weapon (not usually open) most of my adult life (and used them since about five), never had any problems. I get your point below, but it's close-minded.

by Bluefin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 10:18:57 AM PDT

•  As a DK member, I take it on faith that you (3+ / 0-)
            Bluefin, Debs2, friendjudy

are in the 1 or 2% of the most sane Texans in existence.

Thus, I find it troubling that even you find it necessary to carry a weapon as either

1) a means of protection because you are in dire jeopardy at any point in time

OR

2) as some type of macho (no gender discrimination implied here) manifestation

either way, it's deeply troubling to me, and I just want to stand aside and avoid any trouble.

Not to mention what the 98 or 99% or your less sane statespersons might be up to . ..

•  Don't know what to say. Sane? Some people might (3+ / 0-)

quibble there :] .

I'm quite "liberal" by most standards, but differ in some ways like that (and immigration policy, I/P stuff, etc). Firearms are 'tools', like a pocket knife, I guess. Mine are reasonably well-maintained, not worshipped.
              Never give a thought to 'macho' posturing (like many do); just am, heh.
              You probably don't have rattlesnakes, copperheads, coyotes, etc., around the house; travel great distances on empty highways in vast places, etc, etc.

Definitely not batshit insane (IMO) like the Gohmert's, Cruz'es, Patrick's, Abbott's and think-alikes we have down here,  et al.
              They're not really of course (well, maybe Louie), they know exactly what they are doing, even if their followers don't.

by Bluefin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 10:51:02 AM PDT

•  The thing is, I have not that much of a quibble (2+ / 0-)
                Bluefin, gffish

with you as with the 98 or 99% of your less sane state-mates.

In a way this reminds me of when I've been overseas and have been subject to some good old-fashioned USA-bashing.

At some point at one point, I was almost ready to claim to be Canadian, but then reconsidered upon consideration that owning up to all the torture and war-mongering wasn't going to be quite as painful as admitting to being from the same country as Justin Beiber and Celine Dion . .. .

•  That 98-99% is misleading, somewhere (4+ / 0-)
                  Roadbed Guy, ER Doc, gffish, capelza

between 40 and 50(+)% of Texans are actually Democrats, some lean conservative; many just don't VOTE!
                  But still, our problem is a very focussed, dedicated cadre of Repukes who know how to exercise power, as Democrats seem to not know very well.

by Bluefin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 11:09:11 AM PDT

•  Sure, I'm old enough to recall when you (2+ / 0-)
                    gffish, Bluefin

guys had gerrymandered your state to give a 17-15 Dem to Repub advantage in the US House of Representatives, despite the actual popular vote being the reverse, or worse.

So, too bad that (related to your second sentence) the Repubs have become highly enough focused to take that all away.

•  I just published a Diary on Thorstein Veblen's (1+ / 0-)
                    Bluefin

late 19th century analysis of the predatory origins of the 1% and the frequently amiable ineffectiveness of the peaceable in The Theory of the Leisure Class.

The Theory of the 1% Part 2

But we do eventually get out the pitchforks, and the children of the haters are falling away in droves. A tipping point is coming.

Back off, man. I'm a logician.—GOPBusters™

by Mokurai on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 11:48:39 AM PDT

•  Being a Texan visiting Georgia (2+ / 0-)
          Bluefin, Leap Year

sure didn't work out too well. (The victim was a Texan).

•  I've been to both areas (1+ / 0-)
        Bluefin

I really enjoyed Fredericksburg and vicinity--spent all day in the Nimitz museum, then an enjoyable evening with a couple of cold German beers.  I thought it was also kind of cool that you could see the red rock country of the SW seemingly start just west of town.

That being said, I love the mountains too much for me not to choose my own home state.  Your mileage may vary....  I've been fortunate enough to have visited all 50, and I have found something wonderful, surprising or beautiful in all of them.

I like lemurs -6.50, -4.82

by roadbear on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 04:27:31 PM PDT

•  Enchanted Rock is a big red one nearby F'burg. (1+ / 0-)
          roadbear

Like you, I've seen a few places; there's almost always something nice.
          Only exception might have been around Sudbury, Ontario in the '60-'70's. It was like being on the moon  (which is kind of neat too I guess), poisoned down to the rocks. Heard they've cleaned it up a lot, hope so.

by Bluefin on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 07:53:58 PM PDT

•  Be prepared for this (3+ / 0-)
      Lily O Lady, blueoasis, linkage

I want to be the next Secretary of Antics.

by nellgwen on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 11:59:08 AM PDT

•  Leavenworth, WA (0+ / 0-)

It's a fun place to visit if you're into themed towns.

•  Leavenworth. It's great fun! (1+ / 0-)
      roadbear

I want to live in a world where George Zimmerman offered Trayvon Martin a ride home to get him out of the rain that night. -Bishop G. Brewer

by the dogs sockpuppet on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 12:29:48 PM PDT

•  Aside from Leavenworth WA, there is a German (1+ / 0-)
      carrps

schmaltzy themed town in Michigan.  Frankenmuth MI has two Bavarian themed chicken dinner restaurants - Bavarian Inn and Zehnder's.  One of them used to serve chicken noodle soup "kit krispy krackers".

•  You're right... (0+ / 0-)

The German theme town, (actually Bavarian) in Washington State is called Leavenworth, not to be confused with the military prison in Kansas.  It's worth a visit.

•  Alpine themed town? (0+ / 0-)

That would be Leavenworth, WA...quite popular among natives and tourists alike. So come on up...would love to have you visit  :D

•  Ellensburg. (0+ / 0-)

Been there. Kinda cute in a tacky way. Then there's Hermann in Missouri (actually populated by German descendants, though). There are Swiss ones, too. One in Wisconsin that I forget the name of.

•  Washington town (0+ / 0-)

The Washington town in question is called Leavenworth.

I've been there.  The downtown area is cute but one visit is enough.

•  Leavenworth in WA state. nt (0+ / 0-)

“When you victim-blame, be aware that in all likelihood, at least one woman you know and love silently decides she cannot trust you.” ` Steph Guthrie

by Penny GC on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 02:29:15 PM PDT

•  Leavenworth, Washington is the place (0+ / 0-)

It's at least in Alpine terrain - what passes for mountains in the state of Georgia, we in the west would call foothills.

As for the herb, I would wait a little while, supplies are still very short. Maybe by next year it might be better, if the Liquor Control Commission can get their act together.

•  there is an alpine themed town in Washington (0+ / 0-)

I've been there, it's Leavenworth. Very cute, very touristy, very expensive. In the mountains. I recall some really, really good fudge.