View Diary: Ferguson police continue arresting and attacking media (235 comments)

•  I'm not cheering. I've seen that Rand Paul's not. (3+ / 0-)
    Liberal Protestant, white blitz, suzq

I cannot imagine why any genuine conservative would cheer this jack-booted example of government oppression.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 09:03:15 AM PDT

•  i commend you (15+ / 0-)

however...heh. I know exactly why some conservatives are cheering this on. Perhaps you do too.

Dawkins is to atheism as Rand is to personal responsibility. Russia Today=FoxNews, Seralini=Wakefield. yadda yadda.

by terrypinder on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 09:06:34 AM PDT

•  "Genuine"? (8+ / 0-)

That sounds a bit like "True Scotsman".

"The extinction of the human race will come from its inability to EMOTIONALLY comprehend the exponential function." -- Edward Teller

by lgmcp on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 09:10:09 AM PDT

•  Not in the mindset now, but I have a whole rant (2+ / 0-)
        lgmcp, sethtriggs

on what I call faux conservatives -- a combo of Limbaughs and Hannities added to cartoon images drawn up by self-styled progressives.

But -- that's all my peculiar viewpoint as somebody who was an right wing extremist when I lived in Chicagoland and am a bleeding heart liberal now that I've moved to Texas.

Very quick nutshell:

I believe in a conservatism that hews true to the ideals embodied in the Declaration of Independence and not quite so well in the Constitution. I believe in small, but not non-existent government. Mostly, I believe the country is broken when ordinary Americans don't have a real opportunity to pursue their dreams or to take care of their families.

Oh -- and that, for the most part, people's lives are none of the government's damned business.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 09:44:42 AM PDT

•  Sure, theoretically it's possible (1+ / 0-)
          sukeyna

to espouse many conservative ideas while maintaining personal integrity and intellectual honesty.  But unfortunately those aren't the conservatives that we mostly have.  Well, every movement has its fringe, of course, of whom others are thinking "PLEASE get off my side!".  But when the fringe becomes the majority, the group as a whole becomes discredited.

by lgmcp on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 09:53:30 AM PDT

•  Just as I'm sure it's possible to be a progressive (0+ / 0-)

while maintaining personal integrity and intellectual honesty.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 10:18:15 AM PDT

•  And your assessment of the relative proportions (0+ / 0-)

within each group?

by lgmcp on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 10:22:12 AM PDT

•  I don't assess that. (0+ / 0-)

We tend to assess the noise-makers and the people right around us.

No idea how representative that is.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 10:25:04 AM PDT

•  To vote, it is necessary to assess (0+ / 0-)

no matter  how crude are the metrics available.

by lgmcp on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 10:47:19 AM PDT

•  It's not necessary to assess a population. (1+ / 0-)
                    lgmcp

It's only necessary to assess candidates, parties, and who might result in nudging the country in the right direction.

On that score, I'm damned cynical.  I don't believe there are many intellectually honest politicians at all, if any.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 11:01:16 AM PDT

•  False Equivalence (1+ / 0-)
              Old Sailor

Congratulations! You're a Conservative.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 11:19:01 AM PDT

•  You bet I'm a conservative. And, for trotting out (0+ / 0-)

the false equivalence meme, you are a progressive!

Are there prizes for winning?

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 12:30:35 PM PDT

•  Only for Losers (0+ / 0-)

I might or might not be a progressive. But you are absolutely a Conservative.

Your bizarre insistence on false equivalence, falsely insisting that two different things are equivalent, is a Conservative hangup.

Your attacking the "meme", when I point out that you're inventing a false equivalence, as if pointing it out is the problem not your doing it, is an essential trait of Conservatives: denial compensated by projection.

I don't know whether my simple truth is "progressive", but your personality defect lies are most certainly Conservative.

Congratulations! You're incapable of making sense outside a kindergarten playground. Because you're a Conservative. Nearly a parody of a Conservative - though that "meme" has become completely redundant.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 06:48:08 PM PDT

•  Conservatism for War (1+ / 0-)
          Old Sailor

The Declaration of Independence is a manifesto for shooting at a king's troops.

The Constitution is a master ruleset for governing a country.

They are two very different things, though each cites certain inalienable rights and implies that inalienable rights must be defended by a just government. But the Declaration is useless for governing a country.

It's great for starting a war though. Congratulations, you're a Conservative.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 11:18:09 AM PDT

•  What's a "Genuine Conservative"? (1+ / 0-)
      Old Sailor

Any genuine Conservative would have been out in the streets marching with loaded weapons for 8 years of Bush/Cheney. There were practically none.

There is no such thing as a "genuine Conservative", as the Bush/Cheney years proved beyond doubt. Every so-called "Conservative" is a radical opportunist or simply deluded, with an underlayer of racism and narcissism.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 11:15:39 AM PDT

•  Bush/Cheney were conservatives? (0+ / 0-)

Going to war against a country that didn't attack us?
        Doing so without bothering to pay for it?

Nothing conservative about that.
        Kind of thing a Democrat would do, as in Truman, Kennedy, and Johnson.

Come to think of it, Bill Clinton.
        I think Jimmy Carter may be the only post-WWII exception.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 02:28:58 PM PDT

•  No True Scotsman (0+ / 0-)

There are no actual Conservatives, just conmen and their primary victims who call themselves that.

"No True Scotsman" fallacy. Look it up. Personal responsibility and all that.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 06:51:04 PM PDT

•  Nope. You are closer to that, seeing as you (0+ / 0-)

believe that a self-styled progressive should define what a conservative is. Again, conforming to stereotype.

You know, it is possible for progressives to think creatively and well.  There are folks on this site who do it.

Just sayin'.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 09:07:09 PM PDT

•  One Track Conservative Mind (0+ / 0-)

You didn't look up the fallacy. You continue to operate under it - and under nothing else.

You really cannot let go of the denial projection. Every post you just chant with different words "I'm not, you are". Indeed, you're just sayin' - and not thinkin' too much about it. Continuing to call me a progressive as if it's an insult, because you aren't getting that I don't care and that this discussion is about Conservatives. If it's about anything, which it's evidently not.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 08:11:51 AM PDT

•  Actually, I have a lot of liberatian friends who (1+ / 0-)
      dinotrac

are NOT amused.

Wait, they ARE amused that the MO Governor is a DEMOCRAT.

That amuses them greatly.