View Diary: Conservatives to media: Stop covering Ferguson (150 comments)

•  I wish racism and the racial divide in this (11+ / 0-)

country was just an occasional "spectacle."

Instead, it's been one of the worst-kept, rotten secrets of this
    perishing Republic.

Emotion--fear, paranoia, suspicion, prejudice, anger, and hatred--too often run this country, not reason. And this nation is supposed to be in the forefront of "human progress."

"The soil under the grass is dreaming of a young forest, and under the pavement the soil is dreaming of grass."--Wendell Berry

by Wildthumb on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 02:36:41 PM PDT

•  You're so funny nt (2+ / 0-)
      Chitown Kev, nellgwen

I voted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 because it is my right, my responsibility and because my parents moved from Alabama to Ohio to vote. Unfortunately, the republicons want to turn Ohio into Alabama.

by a2nite on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 02:45:01 PM PDT

•  Huh? I'm at a loss here. (0+ / 0-)

by Wildthumb on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 03:00:00 PM PDT

•  I presume and hope ... (1+ / 0-)
          kingfishstew

that comment was in regard to your "forefront of human progress".

Corporations, which should be the carefully restrained creatures of the law and the servants of the people, are fast becoming the people’s masters. -- President Grover Cleveland, 1888

by edg on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 03:15:22 PM PDT

•  Now I presume and hope so, too. Obviously, (0+ / 0-)

this nation IS NOT on the "forefront of human progress." I thought that would be taken as I wrote it, with sarcasm.

by Wildthumb on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 03:20:44 PM PDT

•  Oh, the "republic." That was long ago. (4+ / 0-)

Ended about 1980.

A drowning man can not learn to swim. -- Chris Lonsdale

by Rikon Snow on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 02:58:52 PM PDT

•  Really? (4+ / 0-)

And the racism part? Since that's what previous poster was talking about?

Was that better before 1980? Race riots in the 70s. Civil Rights fighting in the 60s. Jim Crow before then.

There was no Golden Age of Republic in America.

The Empire never ended.

by thejeff on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 03:52:33 PM PDT

•  Can't really argue with that. Our first preside... (1+ / 0-)
          Rikon Snow

Can't really argue with that. Our first president owned slaves and slavery was legal from the beginning. Golden Age is definitely a matter of perspective.

•  He also freed them in his will. (0+ / 0-)

Which act was more remarkable for the time?
            Blaming someone who lived hundreds of years ago for not having modern morals is a bit wrong headed.

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 04:34:24 PM PDT

•  Well, I figure it got Owned when (1+ / 0-)
          kingfishstew

Ronnie got elected.  Until then, there was . . . hope.  But I can't argue with the idea that it was a Myth From The Beginning.

We are never as good as we claim to be.

A drowning man can not learn to swim. -- Chris Lonsdale

by Rikon Snow on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 04:16:51 PM PDT

•  Jesus. Was I misunderstood. "Shine, perishing (1+ / 0-)
          raynmakr

Republic" was the title of a poem by Robinson Jeffers. He talked about the decline of the nation long ago. I used the phrase just the way he meant it. Please people, I was being sarcastic here. There was NO attempt to imply a "golden age" of Republic. (From the beginning since we had slavery and Jim Crow and committed genocide against Native Americans I wouldn't go there ever.) Next time if I want to make what now to me looks like an obscure and misunderstood reference I'll think twice or at least make myself crystal clear.

by Wildthumb on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 05:52:55 PM PDT

•  Actually, I think I understood. (0+ / 0-)

Though I missed the reference. It was the response that talked about the "republic" ending in 1980 that I objected to.

The Empire never ended.

by thejeff on Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 10:06:58 AM PDT

•  Right. But someone else said, "you're so (1+ / 0-)
              silverfoxcruiser

funny" implying that I thought we had some great Republic "in the old days" or something. I never thought that, the way some white Americans have always thought. The kind of history I majored in college taught me about the ugly side of the history of this nation. I just always liked that phrase and poem by Jeffers: it summed up so much.

Occasionally we're all misunderstood on this blog, and I don't think we would be as much if we discussed these things in person.

by Wildthumb on Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 10:43:02 AM PDT

•  Let's not forget Custer here folks n/t (1+ / 0-)
          silverfoxcruiser