View Diary: Mission Creep in Iraq (109 comments)

•  Hard to know on a blog. (0+ / 0-)

I've seen combat, I didn't fold then, and I have bullet holes as a souvenir (flesh wound). I'm sold old and injured (ACL) they wouldn't want me now.

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 07:54:48 PM PDT

•  Next month I will probably be in (2+ / 0-)
      Calvino Partigiani, Sandino

areas of Syria controlled by Syrian Kurds to work on humanitarian aid projects.

Where will you be?

Trying to fuck with me from the comfort of you home?

The world is bad enough as it is, you have no right to make it any worse.
      Lamb chop, we can quibble what to call it, but I think we can both agree it's creepy.

by InAntalya on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 07:58:07 PM PDT

•  Actually, I will have forgotten you before I (1+ / 0-)
        aimeehs

finish this glass of scotch.  Goodnight.

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 08:03:36 PM PDT

•  I understood that it was the scotch talking (1+ / 0-)
          Sandino

quite a while ago.

And most probably cheap scotch too by the intellectual level of your comments.

The world is bad enough as it is, you have no right to make it any worse.

by InAntalya on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 08:08:18 PM PDT

•  Another very common ideological belief (2+ / 0-)
        InAntalya, Sandino

of supporters of war and empire is that only military attacks count as "doing something".  I've seen it and commented on it untold times here on DK.  If it doesn't involve the use of military violence, it means you are "standing by", "doing nothing".

It gets repeated all the time, and is revealing of the constrained mindset underlying militaristic approaches: only the use of military violence counts as taking action or taking risks.

It's a widespread form of indoctrination in the US of A.

"Trust me... I've been right before." ~ Tea party patriot

by Calvino Partigiani on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 08:07:01 PM PDT

•  I think you are giving some too much credit. (2+ / 0-)
          Calvino Partigiani, Sandino

For many it's just a matter of them really liking things that go BOOM.

The world is bad enough as it is, you have no right to make it any worse.

by InAntalya on Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 08:10:45 PM PDT

•  What does opposing ISL have to do with "empire"? (2+ / 0-)
          aimeehs, jdsnebraska

Can you stop with the Chomsky buzzwords?
          If anything, it's ISIL that's trying to establish an empire in the Middle East.  I know Chomskyites, whenever the US is in any conflict, have a knee-jerk tendency to side with the entity the US is in conflict with, but ISIL is the evil ones here.  ISIL is the entity trying to establish empire in this case.  Not the US.

•  Thanks for joining the conversation! (1+ / 0-)
            Sandino

And sorry that my comments contain what sound like meaningless "buzzwords" to you.

You truly do misunderstand me, though, if you believe that I am siding with ISIL here, in a knee-jerk fashion or otherwise.

Indeed, I'm not sure how you got that impression.

Can you explain to me how anything I've said represents taking sides with ISIL?

"Trust me... I've been right before." ~ Tea party patriot