View Diary: The case of Michael Brown: Missing police reports, anonymous sources and shoddy journalism (231 comments)

•  Yes, thank you. That does prove that there is at (22+ / 0-)

least one incident report regarding the shooting.

Which leads me back to one of the original questions I asked - is there only one and has it been altered in any way?

Like I said, the Chief may not want to release the report, but I don't see how all the circumstances surrounding the report itself are sacrosanct.

“Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” FDR

by Phoebe Loosinhouse on Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 10:45:51 AM PDT

•  If it's anything like the robbery report ... (49+ / 0-)

it should make for VERY interesting reading. The robbery report is just bizarre. I read it and reread it and still couldn't figure out how it was put together.

Notably, the report of the robbery has some information blacked out, which is normal since some of it appears to concern the identity of witnesses, for example. But the field for the name of the reporting officer is entirely blank. Not blacked out, just blank. So there was no way to tell who wrote the report.

I also had difficulty understanding when that report could have been prepared. The reporting officer's narrative says s/he responding to a dispatch about the robbery but ultimately did not locate any suspects. Despite not locating anyone, the report contains detailed identifying information for both Michael Brown and Dorian Johnson, complete with addresses, dates of birth, etc. This information can only have been added later, but it's not clear how much later.

Then at some point thereafter, it appears that a different officer wrote a supplemental report that has a much more extensive narrative. It's in the supplemental that we get confirmation that the report on the shooting exists.

All we can say is that by now, the report on the shooting has existed for at least a week. (I'm calculating from the printing date on the robbery report.) For reasons I have yet to see explained, that report has never seen the light of day. I don't understand why the ACLU and journalists aren't screaming at the top of their lungs to get it released. Of course, it's possible that they are, and I just don't know about it.

by FogCityJohn on Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 10:58:31 AM PDT

•  Are there any links to the Robbery report? (8+ / 0-)

I thought that the store, the store owner nor any employee of the store ever reported the incident.  Why was there even an investigation?

Who was the investigating officer?  What is the relationship between the investigating officer for the shoplifting incident and the Wilson shooting incident?

Did Wilson write a report?  Who investigated the shooting and murder of Michael Brown?

If Money is Speech, Speech isn't Free! I wonder what it is about that that Antonin Scalia cannot understand?

by NM Ray on Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 12:07:56 PM PDT

•  that robbery report seemed weird (7+ / 0-)

way too perfect

initial reports are usually crappy,

it should refer to B/M 1 and B/M 2

and it should have a witness statement from the clerk
        and a 911 report call....

instead it's way perfect and "Extraordinarily closed".

what?

i've seen closed before, i've never seen

extraordinarily closed.

•  Not Only Was it NOT (13+ / 0-)

"Way too perfect", even a layperson who simply had an eye for details could tell that there was something very, very "off" with it.

As I said to friends who are lawyers, if they couldn't find at least 7 serious issues with that report, our crim professors want to talk to us!

At this point, I just want America to admit that it still doesn't want its Black citizens to live in any state other than terror, subservience and inferiority, under pain of death. I can handle American racism, but I can't handle American denial.

by shanikka on Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 02:28:05 PM PDT

•  I suspect "extraordinarily closed" (3+ / 0-)
          VClib, Penny GC, drmah

Means something like, "closed because the suspect is deceased". That is, although the case was not closed in the usual way (catching and charging someone), it nevertheless is not to be kept open as a "cold case", nor is it an open, ongoing investigation.

This is purely a guess. Just speculation on my part.

La majestueuse égalité des lois, qui interdit au riche comme au pauvre de coucher sous les ponts, de mendier dans les rues, et de voler du pain.

by dconrad on Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 02:45:18 PM PDT

•  Not true (5+ / 0-)
          nicteis, StrayCat, Penny GC, Skippah, kfunk937

Initial reports are not "usually crappy."  They are done professionally, submitted to a superior officer, reviewed and then submitted into the system.   At least that's how it's done at the police station I work at (admittedly for a big county police department, but still).  (I read police reports all the time in my job.)   You only put B/M 1, etc. when you don't have names.  If you get names, you simply go in and change that information and add a supplemental explaining when/how you got those names and that you added them to the suspect list.   And I just woke up so I'm blanking on what we call it but when a case is closed we have a word like "extraordinarily" for closed too.   That's just how it's done.

We all made this journey for a reason. -- President Barack Obama (February 10, 2007)

by arabian on Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 02:51:30 PM PDT

•  Note -- (5+ / 0-)
            StrayCat, Penny GC, Skippah, kfunk937, patbahn

I'm not in ANY WAY defending the A-holes in the Ferguson PD.  I'm appalled at everything they've done there.  I may know some good police officers in my department, but I am not here to defend those Ferguson police AT ALL!  I'm just talking about police report procedures.

by arabian on Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 02:54:39 PM PDT

•  I agree with you here: (6+ / 0-)
            I also read police reports all the time as part of my job. The ones here in California are a hell of a lot easier to understand that this. And that goes not only for the ones from big counties, but also the ones from smaller jurisdictions.

A conscientious police officer can fill out a good report with a minimum of effort. In my experience, the report is usually self-explanatory. This Ferguson PD report is anything but.

by FogCityJohn on Thu Aug 21, 2014 at 03:31:24 PM PDT

•  well if you know police reports well (0+ / 0-)

what's that homicide report look like to you?

and should there be a  a firearms discharge report,
            and a crime scene report.

and an autopsy report?

•  Robbery report (17+ / 0-)

I had the same problems with the robbery report as you. It is not clear who wrote it, or when it was written.  The identity of the suspects stands out as false information (for the first report)  as they did not know who "suspects" were at the time. They even checked "suspects identified" on the initial report, which is clearly false.  Even in supplemental reports written days later, they discuss "suspects" and says "Could not find anyone who matched the description." I don't think they had any idea until they looked at surveillance video days later. And when they did ID, that information should have been in a timed and dated supplemental report. Which if it exists, we have not seen. There are several times given for when the call was received and when he got to store. The last, and I think correct,  time given when he got the original call of "stealing" was 11:58. Remember Michael was shot about 12:01. That gives him 3 minutes to get to the store, talk to people, ID the kids and give out a report, which would have said basically nothing. I think it would have been impossible for Wilson to hear anything about the robbery as that information, even sketchy stuff, was not known when the shooting happened. Wilson knew of no robbery and no cigars stolen. He yells at them for being in the street.  That is all we know for sure and all hell breaks out.  That he sees the cigars in Michael's hand and puts 2 and 2 together is bullshit lies. I can't help but think they are refashioning the incident report as time goes on. I'm assuming they can falsify and revise anything on that report.  Can they falsify tapes of calls by dispatch and officers in the field, and times?  Just asking as I don't know what can be done and not done with their equipment.