View Diary: Cornel West on President Obama “He posed as a progressive and turned out to be counterfeit..." (348 comments)

•  If I understand what kovie is saying... (15+ / 0-)

... then I agree with it.

Cornell West is a leftist, an activist, and a gadfly. He's about as close as you can find to a pop culture revolutionary these days. If you want to credibly inhabit that role, you can't mince words. I have no doubt that this is CW's truth. I don't think he is being provocative for the sake of being provocative. And I don't think he is by any means required to sugar-coat his words.

In the same vein, Obama isn't required to take them all to heart. I hope he takes some of them to heart, though. Couldn't hurt.

Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it.

by The Termite on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:09:54 AM PDT

•  Cornell West (7+ / 0-)

is an embarrassment, at least to me and that is really all I can say about him. He is all "I Me Mine" all the time.

Some humans ain't human some people ain't kind. They lie through their teeth with their head up their behind. You open up their hearts and here's what you'll find - Some humans ain't human some people ain't kind. John Prine

by high uintas on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:15:06 AM PDT

•  so, if a white leftist would voice the same (9+ / 0-)

criticism as Cornel West does, is it also "all about me (the white guy)" and also an embarrassment? Or is it because you disagree with the political content of the criticism voiced?

We know a hell of a lot, but we understand very little. Manfred Max-Neef

by mimi on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 10:11:35 AM PDT

•  I am not in agreement w/him (2+ / 0-)
          mimi, OIL GUY

but there are a number of people out there that I disagree with but wouldn't say the same about. I can barely stand to watch West when he is on the TV. My criticism of him is sincere.

by high uintas on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 11:43:13 AM PDT

•  To add (2+ / 0-)
            mimi, OIL GUY

I was an admirer of West, it makes it harder for me to deal with IMO. In this case I can say with all honesty that my reaction to him would not be different if he was white.

by high uintas on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 11:48:58 AM PDT

•  No, silly. Then it would be White Privilege (TM) (4+ / 0-)

Gotta keep up with the terms and memes...

"If you're in a coalition and you're comfortable, you know it's not a broad enough coalition /= GTFO" Dr. Bernice Johnson Reagon + JVolvo

by JVolvo on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 06:20:49 PM PDT

•  And Sharpton isn't? (0+ / 0-)

Or Nader, Kucinich, Clinton--hell, Obama, who for years couldn't stand to not be making a public speech every day? Leaders tend to be narcissists. It goes with the territory. It's what you DO with it that counts.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 07:39:04 PM PDT

•  I was pretty proud of Reverend Al today (0+ / 0-)

He delivered an incredible eulogy for Mike Brown today in Ferguson.

So, I agree its what you DO that counts. And Obama had his AG there also.

Where was West?

KOS: "Mocking partisans focusing on elections? Even less reason to be on Daily Kos."

by fcvaguy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 08:33:09 PM PDT

•  Was he invited? No? Then what's your point? (0+ / 0-)

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:01:16 PM PDT

•  My point is.... (0+ / 0-)

you implied Reverend Al was an embarrassment. I don't think so. And so don't most African Americans.

Did you get to watch the eulogy?

If not, here's a diary, with the video.

Every Progressive should be proud of what he had to say today.

by fcvaguy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:04:49 PM PDT

•  I said Al was a self-promoter (0+ / 0-)

Which he is, whatever good things he's done. Just like West and Obama. You don't think these men have enormous egos?

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:11:03 PM PDT

•  To be clear (0+ / 0-)

high unitas said:

Cornell West
                  is an embarrassment,
                  to which you responded:
                  And Sharpton isn't?
                  If you were ignoring the first part of the comment and focusing on the second part, then fine.

We all have egos, some more than others.

If you missed Reverend Al's eulogy today, then I encourage you to listen to it. Someone posted a diary and the full video here:

by fcvaguy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:30:27 PM PDT

•  And to say that West is ONLY (0+ / 0-)

about self-promotion all but invites the Sharpton comparison.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:56:33 PM PDT

•  not at all (0+ / 0-)

West is accomplished in his own right on a different plane. I don't need to tear down West to prop up those West despises.

West's history with Obama started before Obama was even elected, all the way back to February 2008 and most AAs know that which is why they tend to be dismissive of West and Smiley's criticisms of Obama. And, its not surprising that some white anti-Obama folks uphold West's words like a shiny object in front of Obama's AA supporters. There's plenty of real substance to be critical of Obama without using West's acerbic rhetoric which only shows one thing - that he's got a personal axe to grind with Obama.

Extreme Liberal sums it up best:

by fcvaguy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 10:05:00 PM PDT

•  As for the eulogy (0+ / 0-)

I almost feel like I too wasn't invited and thus don't have a right to butt in, and as a white person who feels ashamed to be an American when such tragedies happen, it almost feels like the easy way out to watch it, pat myself on the back, and say "Good progressive!", the way some did when voting for Obama because he was black. As after Newtown, I want change, not words.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:14:05 PM PDT

•  I can't relate at all to this comment (0+ / 0-)
                  You didn't watch it because you would have felt like the Black people who voted for Obama simply because he was Black?

I think you had to twist yourself into a pretzel to arrive at that conclusion and make that ridiculous point.

As for change, all change comes through words first and then action. Martin Luther King was the master of words and his legacy of words has created a lot of change and a lot more to go.

by fcvaguy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:35:01 PM PDT

•  I'm not as sanguine as you. I can't credit how (6+ / 0-)

a man with his obvious intelligence believes so many false things.

Cornel West is, and always has been a professor and author.  he makes good money doing what he does.  I'm not denigrating him for that, but lets not lose track of exactly who we're talking about.  it's not like he teaches at an HBCU or public college (like my dad did), or ever has.  rather, the most prestigious institutions in the country.  again, that's fine... but seems to me that MANY of the same criticism he levels at the president for not "getting it" or "being down for the people" can be aimed straight at him.  that is if we want to psychoanalyze him from a distance like he does others.  but ah...

leftist?  ok.
      activist?  meh.
      gadfly?  lmao.  not since like '92.

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:21:15 AM PDT

•  What are these remarks... (2+ / 0-)
        Victor Ward, davidincleveland

...if not the remarks of a gadfly?

by The Termite on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:30:44 AM PDT

•  if there's a whole cottage industry saying things (4+ / 0-)

like these remarks?

dissing the president is damn near the status quo even from the left lol how is he upsetting it?

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:34:20 AM PDT

•  He's also a black voice... (9+ / 0-)

...which is meaningful in the equation.

86% of African Americans approve of Obama's performance the last time I checked.

This isn't Glenn Greenwald saying mean things about the president. It's a leader from the president's own community breaking rank and saying some things I suspect he'd rather not say. The "closet industry" comment suggests that his motive is mercenary and that does not pass the sniff test, sorry.

by The Termite on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:42:52 AM PDT

•  I'll submit that west is about as much a "leader" (4+ / 0-)

in the black community as greenwald is lmao.

and the black community isn't buying what west is selling.  but SOMEONE is...

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 09:56:31 AM PDT

•  so any leftist is for you ... (5+ / 0-)

ridiculous, independent of his race?

We know a hell of a lot, but we understand very little. Manfred Max-Neef

by mimi on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 10:13:56 AM PDT

•  what's ridiculous is that accusation. (5+ / 0-)

it's a literal non sequitur in that it doesn't follow from anything I've said.

This comment is dedicated to my mellow Adept2U and his Uncle Marcus

by mallyroyal on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 10:22:01 AM PDT

•  This is the second time, by my count, that (7+ / 0-)

you've raised this particular strawman in this thread. All you're doing is muddying the waters.

Cornel West is entitled to voice his opinion. People are entitled to disagree. Both sets of opinions deserve to be considered on their merits or lack of same. Attempting to reduce either to a simple Left-Right bias is inaccurate, as well as politically and intellectually lazy.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 11:06:59 AM PDT

•  who are you responding to and who is (1+ / 0-)
                    Victor Ward

the strawman and what is the supposed strawman defending?

I seriously don't understand anything anymore.

We know a hell of a lot, but we understand very little. Manfred Max-Neef

by mimi on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 11:11:24 AM PDT

•  Oh drop the pose (2+ / 0-)
                      OIL GUY, fcvaguy

You've repeatedly suggested that the only reason for disagreement with West is hostility to Left politics. Are you now going to pretend that you haven't done so?

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 11:24:07 AM PDT

•  I understand that for example Mallyroyal (0+ / 0-)

is against West because of his rhetoric , more than being upset about the political content of what CW is saying.

I am not posing at all. I am in agreement of many of CW points and even though I consider the delivery of his political viewpoints exalted, I don't get too much messed up emotionally over it. Obviously I can't walk in Afro-American shoes to feel as upset over his rhetoric as Afro-Americans do.

I slowly learn this to be a fact.

We know a hell of a lot, but we understand very little. Manfred Max-Neef

by mimi on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 11:47:26 AM PDT

•  If you understand that, then why did you (2+ / 0-)
                          fcvaguy, mallyroyal

suggest that Mally was hostile to Left opinions and positions?

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 07:17:44 PM PDT

•  I wasn't hostile, I wanted to be sure (0+ / 0-)

he means what he said. Actually I don't see he had expressed any political positions and opinion other than being very upset for the criticism CW has directed straight forward to and about President Obama because of the wording CW used. I found it necessary for my own good to be clear about why he is so upset. He says it's the wording CW uses and not the content.

I don't go back and listen again to the video just to see what I might think about the content disregarding the wording. There is certainly something I don't agree with, but others I do agree with, independent of the language.
                            I can separate language from content. Not many people can.

I wanted to be clear about Mally's take on that. That's all.

Who are you? Why are you interested in continued conversation about this? I will not continue to respond to other comments from you.

We know a hell of a lot, but we understand very little. Manfred Max-Neef

by mimi on Tue Aug 26, 2014 at 07:36:38 PM PDT

•  You're not responding now. (0+ / 0-)

I've never said you were hostile. I asked why you suggested Mally was acting from ideological hostility, which you indisputably did. Whether through intention or confusion you've diverted from my question.

Then there's the fact that Mally isn't the only one you've made this suggestion about.

If this is a sample of what you mean by separating "language from content", you're probably better off not responding.

I will continue to ask questions where it seems appropriate. You can choose to stand mute. Such silence will speak for itself.

I think your approach is self evidently flawed but you'll have to make up your own mind.

Nothing human is alien to me.

by WB Reeves on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 12:02:28 PM PDT

•  Yep. As current POTUS has floundered and failed (5+ / 0-)

to seize the once-in-a-generation moment to address our problems (financial + economic collapse; national rejection of Repubs after 8 disastrous years of Bush; 2 failing wars) his supporters here have denigrated and dismissed the achievements of every Dem president back to FDR.  By tearing our past Dems down they are trying to lessen the unflattering contrast with current administration's failures.

Cornel West is easy to trash after they've torn down JFK and FDR.

by JVolvo on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 06:27:45 PM PDT

•  Only if you think (2+ / 0-)
              mallyroyal, fcvaguy

Ben Carson's criticisms from the right are made more meaningful because he is black...

Cornel West's issues with  the POTUS still are built on his perceived slight of not getting an invitation to be on the dais at Pres. Obama first inaugural and he has been using the platform of his fame to sling shit since then. It gets him lecturing fees and it sells books but it's a one way street; once he embarked down it, his only recourse was to continue... and, in the end, it will do irreparable damage to his reputation and his legacy.

Fear doesn't just breed incomprehension. It also breeds a spiteful, resentful hate of anyone and everyone who is in any way different from you.

by awesumtenor on Mon Aug 25, 2014 at 12:46:34 PM PDT

•  So basically, he's "not perfect"? (0+ / 0-)

QED.