View Diary: Poll: White people a lot more likely than black people to think police treat racial groups equally (182 comments)

•  I'm white (9+ / 0-)

I don't think that.

I used to travel around and see the Grateful Dead and knew many many people who were pulled over and searched just because of their bumper stickers.

I had a friend who was charged with posession in VA.  When pulled over the cop claimed to have smelled something and searched their car. Found nothing. Asked for ID and one had their ID in the trunk.  They got it and cops said since they opened the trunk they could search it. Found a couple doobies.

In court they argued it was an illegal search because the justification was they were smoking in the passenger compartment and nothing was found there. The judge ruled the just the Dead stickers constituted probably cause to search the entire vehicle.

•  DFHs and Occupiers are, like Black people, (3+ / 0-)

part of the group that is automatically thought of as causing trouble and therefore must be harassed.

"You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Tue Aug 26, 2014 at 07:33:57 AM PDT

•  The only stickers on my vehicles... (5+ / 0-)

...are mountain bike-related stickers, and Dad's EGA and Gunney's stripes.

Sure as hell ain't putting political stickers of any kind on any vehicle I own.

Between the cops and deranged right wingers, I don't need the trouble. It's bad enough just Driving While Bearded...

"Ronald Reagan is DEAD! His policies live on but we're doing something about THAT!"

by leftykook on Tue Aug 26, 2014 at 08:02:21 AM PDT

•  I still have an Obama sticker on my hybrid, (5+ / 0-)

but I'm white, 59 years old, with short hair and a beard.   When I was young with long hair I was harassed, but had I been black then, I would have had real trouble.  I once git a ticket for calling an Officer an "asshole, motherfukcing pig."  I was 19.  They read it in court.  I got a third year law student to defend me, $25 fine.  Cop put handcuffs on my tight, but that was it.  Suburban hippies like me had it easy.   If I were black, I suspect he would have kicked my ass.

PS, I was drunk, young, and stupid.  Don't recommend it.
        :-)

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by TomP on Tue Aug 26, 2014 at 08:23:00 AM PDT

•  I have feared to put any opinions on (0+ / 0-)

my car for a very long time.  I don't need to be keyed or harassed just for a sticker. When I would see a Bush/Cheney sticker and such it made my skin crawl and I would immediately pigeon hole the driver.  Sorry but this is where we are now.  One right wing noise and I've got you in your box never to be set free in my mind.   “When someone shows you who they are believe them." Maya Angelou

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” — William Arthur Ward

by cowdab on Tue Aug 26, 2014 at 10:46:14 AM PDT

•  And how long ago was this? (9+ / 0-)

I mean were there still b/w tv's? Because where I live quite a few of those Dead Heads are the republican votin', Fox News watchin' boomers in the middle class. And they don't get stopped by the cops anymore... And the Grateful Dead play on a constant loop on the local oldies radio station... On another note, I was just followed around a Walmart for shopping-with-too-much-pigment. In my local government work shirt and badge... ijs...

Republicans are counting on the fact that fear makes people do stupid things. Like voting Republican.. ~ Ian Reifowitz

by mikejay611 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 at 08:38:43 AM PDT

•  So your friend was breaking the law (1+ / 0-)
      TomP

OK, so technically that was not a justified stop but here is the thing.   You can do something about the kind of stickers you have on your car.   After one or two incidents you take them off unless you are a glutton for punishment.

You can't do anything about the color of your skin.

Do you get it now?

•  I've been there. (0+ / 0-)

For looking like a hippie.

Brought To You By That Crazed Sociologist/Media Fanatic rebel ga Be The Change You Want To See In The World! Gandhi

by rebel ga on Tue Aug 26, 2014 at 11:05:04 AM PDT