View Diary: Reason #5,873 why Sarah Palin is STILL an Asshole (How Wolves Change Rivers) (24 comments)

•  Not to be a killjoy because it really is a (3+ / 0-)

beautiful video and the information is fantastic, but the use of "deer, deer, deer" when it is "elk, elk, elk" was a bit bothersome.

I'm going to mark it up as being the fault of the British. :)

I haven't been to Yellowstone since 1989 and would love to see it again. I camped  then with other photographers and it was a very magical and innocent time in our lives.

"When it's over, I want to say: all my life I was a bride married to amazement." Mary Oliver

by weezilgirl on Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 08:48:41 PM PDT

•  "Not to be a killjoy" (2+ / 0-)
      Calvino Partigiani, weezilgirl

Don't worry, I saw the same thing. Most of the pictures of "deer" were pictures of Elk (Wapiti).

I figured most people wouldn't know the difference, and over-population of deer is becoming a known population, so I posted it, anyway.

I forgive George Monbiot for similar reasons.

I think the impact on the ecosystem of Yellowstone is real, and I seriously love that park.

So thanks for your observation, but do you seriously think the them of the video is wrong?

"Doing My Part to Piss Off the Religious Right" - A sign held by a 10-year old boy on 9-24-05

by Timbuk3 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 08:54:42 PM PDT

•  erm..."them" ="theme" (0+ / 0-)

by Timbuk3 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 08:55:51 PM PDT

•  I loved the video. (7+ / 0-)

I think it was just right. When I was there in '89, my dog and I hiked extensively. We saw one Great Grey Owl and that was it for big birds. The trees weren't grand either. I particularly remember how small the aspens were compared to New Mexico aspens. We could harvest them in NM because they were so thick and lush. We built a fence.

I think  the local wolf-haters should be forced to watch the video every 15 minutes for the rest of their lives. Tied into a chair with bread and water for sustenance.

There were three impressive 'happenings' in Yellowstone that I'll always remember. 1. a photographer from France got between a grizzly mama and her cub. he won't do that again. this was after being warned repeatedly by park officials and reading the signs and brochures.

2. my dog and i walked up on a wolf or he walked up on us. we stood and stared and he trotted off. i didn't feel the least bit threatened nor did he. my dog was so disciplined that he just took it all in without flinching.

3. we camped one night and could not figure out what the noises from a meadow were from. it was the bugling of elk. i'm an Oklahoma girl and had never heard them do that. we went down into the meadow and sat on a stump and listened. one of my photographer friends was smoking a cigar to 'scare' bear off and carrying a large pistol. it got very quiet and we could hear a grizzly walking through the grass towards us. i turned the light on and it was a yearling elk sneaking up to check us out! only been that scared and that excited one other time in my life and that involved a river in Mexico.

As I said, I would love to see Yellowstone now.

by weezilgirl on Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 09:28:23 PM PDT

•  Well, the term "deer" (1+ / 0-)
        RunawayRose

..can be used for any cervid, from mouse deer to moose. An elk/wapiti is a member of one species of deer, very closely related to the red deer of Europe and much of Asia. It's not actually incorrect to call elk deer, it's just somewhat more generic. And iirc the word "elk" in British English means what we call "moose" (yes, the species Alces alces is present in Eurasia as well as North America). Norwegian Elkhounds were bred for moose hunting.

Cogito, ergo Democrata.

by Ahianne on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 10:12:48 AM PDT

•  In England called red deer. (0+ / 0-)

Plus this film is allergic to "fact based" anyway, might as well call them kangaroos.

“Conservation… is a positive exercise of skill and insight, not merely a negative exercise of abstinence and caution…” Aldo Leopold

by ban nock on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:36:05 AM PDT