View Diary: A Question about Privilege (82 comments)

•  WOW. Just. WOW. I have not had enough coffee (6+ / 0-)

to deal so thanks to all of you, above who had the where-with-all to comment and give suggestions. I do not think my suggestion would be helpful...oh wait, here's one.
    How about you move to another country, say India or Africa. Stay there for about a year and get back to us...
    We will wait.
    Peace and Blessings!

“When you victim-blame, be aware that in all likelihood, at least one woman you know and love silently decides she cannot trust you.” ` Steph Guthrie

by Penny GC on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 09:52:13 AM PDT

•  lol You need more caffeine! (5+ / 0-)

Africa is a continent.:)

But, yeah. After reading the diary I just wanted to throw both middle fingers up and move on.

On a serious note, I don't think moving to India or any country in Africa would help much. There are entire industries set up over there to shield white folks from realities of what it means to be a person of color.

Two hundred fifty years of slavery. Ninety years of Jim Crow. Sixty years of separate but equal. Thirty-five years of racist housing policy. Until we reckon with our compounding moral debts, America will never be whole. - Ta-Nehisi Coates

by moviemeister76 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 09:56:55 AM PDT

•  ARRRGGG, I knew that! MM76, dang another cup (1+ / 0-)
        moviemeister76

and I might just get the hang of this geography stuff IO learned in 3rd grade...wink
        Peace and Blessings!

by Penny GC on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 01:49:23 PM PDT

•  I lived in South Korea for about 3 years. (0+ / 0-)

Can we talk now? Or do I need some other qualification to talk about race? This is the problem, anything white people say can be discounted simply because they're white.

•  Not true at all (9+ / 0-)

I'm white as are several other folks commenting in this diary. We are disagreeing with you because you are flat out wrong.

by moviemeister76 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 10:11:55 AM PDT

•  Did you grow up there? (5+ / 0-)

Did you have people following your around the stores to make sure you weren't stealing?

Did their police officials frequently stop you and ask for your identification?

Did you get paid less than everyone else?

Were you stuck there, for the rest of your life with little hope of escape, or did you realize your majority culture was just a plane trip back?

•  This is assinine (1+ / 0-)
          AtavistEsquire

You cannot rationally argue that if one did not suffer the same indignities as American "others" than you didn't suffer.  Cultures express their racism/xenophobia in different ways.  How myopic to not understand this.

•  Of course they do. (2+ / 0-)
            denig, orestes1963

And you can certainly 'experience' it while visiting other countries, I know I have on occasion.

I would contend, however, that this is a damn sight different than being trapped in it for your entire life, and different enough that to use it as some sort of 'equivalence' is either ignorant or insulting.

But most of my questions were actually serious. What exactly did they experience, and was it anywhere even close to the types of indignities that minorities suffer here their entire lives.

Being snubbed during a business trip because I didn't bow correctly is pretty different than being shot because I was a black man who bought a BB gun in a store.

Understand that?

•  Not in the least assinine. It's not about (1+ / 0-)
            Penny GC

suffering or even understanding suffering.

It's about being able to grok what people of color and women go through in this country, on a daily basis. The type of experience one has as a foreigner in another country doesn't necessarily translate to understanding what being the "Other" here means.

It would need to be an equivalent experience in order for a person to perceive the pain and demoralization that is inflicted here.

...wispy longings for a time before Elvis and the Beatles, back when "a girl could cook and still would". You know before the troubles.~Hunter.

by denig on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 03:39:19 PM PDT

•  Well since I am white and a woman, speak away. (1+ / 0-)
        denig

It's just what you are saying is so...what are the words...condescending in a I am just asking sort of way.
        Kinda like you really don't even want to hear the answers that people have offered...
        Peace and Blessings!