View Diary: Washington Post hires career Reagan hagiographer and Politico co-founder as its new publisher (99 comments)

•  This should be getting much more attention. (9+ / 0-)

It seems like Amazon is determined to sail down a far-right wing path, with its owner bringing on Reaganites to run the Washington Post.

I'm staying as far away from Amazon as possible.

by YucatanMan on Wed Sep 03, 2014 at 12:47:26 PM PDT

•  Effectively, yes (0+ / 0-)

But Bezos is all about profit and ego. Just so happens that GOP and neoliberal policies suit that, so long as you're ok with zero sum.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776

by kovie on Wed Sep 03, 2014 at 07:16:21 PM PDT

•  Bezos is about profit? (1+ / 0-)
        erichiro

Heh, I laughed.

•  He's not? (0+ / 0-)

Amazon is hugely profitable. You ever been to Seattle?

by kovie on Wed Sep 03, 2014 at 10:17:12 PM PDT

•  He is best known in the business world for (1+ / 0-)
            YucatanMan

Never delivering profits to his shareholders. Instead, just growing amazon bigger and bigger.

My wording makes it sound negative but really it represents a positive trend of thinking about the long term and institution building rather than short term profits.

•  At a certain point you have to deliver profits (1+ / 0-)
              YucatanMan

or else you're engaged in a long-term Ponzi scheme.

by kovie on Thu Sep 04, 2014 at 05:56:37 AM PDT

•  No, its not (1+ / 0-)
                aeroplane

A ponzi scheme is a scheme involving companies that sell investments as a product. Amazon as far as I know does not offer investment products.

Companies that offer investments are things like banks, hedge funds, as well as individual financial planners and money managers.

Amazon's assets and liabilities are clearly laid out and audited in their financial reports which are publicly available since they are a publicly traded company.

•  Wow (0+ / 0-)

You really think a Ponzi scheme can only involve investments? What's Amway, then? In any case, my point was that if the folks claiming that Amazon never turned a profit were true, then that would make it a scam outfit relying on ever-bigger investments to stay afloat, a la a Ponzi scheme. Which is of course ridiculous. Amazon is very profitable. It just reinvests its profits rather than pay them out in dividends. Anyone who doesn't like that shouldn't buy their stock.

by kovie on Sat Sep 06, 2014 at 04:42:57 PM PDT

•  I think Amazon spends a ton of money. I'm not (1+ / 0-)
            Dr Swig Mcjigger

sure the official balance sheets show they turn a profit.

Which is fascinating when you think about it.  It means investors are giving Bezos more and more money and not really expecting anything in return.

In today's world, is that bizarre or what?  Is Bezos plan to take over the sale of everything? Seize the marketplace, so-to-speak?

And then what? Raid our wallets when there is no other choice?  A mail order Walmart model?

"It does get frustrating when they continue to spend quarter after quarter and they don't let the revenue flow through," said Michael Scanlon, who manages $3.5 billion at Manulife Asset Management and holds shares of Amazon. "I'm definitely ready for profits."
            ....

Investors say they are concerned about not only Amazon spending every dollar that comes in the door but also the lack of disclosure about where it is being spent.

"Most companies with the kind of gross revenue Amazon has are not posting these kind of losses," said Michael Yoshikami, CEO of Destination Wealth Management, which sold its stake in Amazon last year. "You've got to give more information to justify faith in the name."

by YucatanMan on Thu Sep 04, 2014 at 11:57:45 AM PDT

•  And yet they can't pay their temp workers well (1+ / 0-)
              YucatanMan

or put in decent air conditioning in their warehouses. Sounds like he wants to be the FB or Google of commercial products. But surely there are massive profit streams directed his and other top investors' way. Sounds scammy.

by kovie on Thu Sep 04, 2014 at 02:08:53 PM PDT

•  part of the problem (1+ / 0-)
              Dr Swig Mcjigger

is their profit margins are razor thin. Something along the lines of a smidgen over 1%, which is about a 1/3 what Walmart or Costco are pulling in. They're also spending a ton of money developing certain technologies that may never pay off. Net result is negative.

•  No (0+ / 0-)

Amazon has NEVER been "hugely profitable". Not sure what Seattle has to do with anything.

•  They've taken over the northern end of downtown (0+ / 0-)

As in building after building, a huge urban campus. You don't do that if you're an unsuccessful company no one believes in. Are you suggesting that they're another Enron or Bear Stearns and that Paul Allen's an idiot?

by kovie on Thu Sep 04, 2014 at 08:44:40 PM PDT

•  Still don't see the correlation... (0+ / 0-)

between being profitable and not.

Paul Allen? Enron? Bear Stearns? You're falling off the wagon, K.

Seattle! Final answer!

•  I'm saying that Amazon has been gobbling up (0+ / 0-)

major parts of Seattle. It basically owns South Lake Union. You don't do that unless you're either very profitable and have the cash, are an Enron-like fraud that can fool investors, or your bankers are quite stupid like Bear Stearns. The fact that it's directing most of its profits to expansion doesn't mean that it's not profitable. You're playing accounting definitional games here by claiming that since few if any of the profits are reaching stockholders and other investors, Amazon isn't "profitable", which as you know was not my point.

And making it worse by adding insults to nonsense.

by kovie on Fri Sep 05, 2014 at 06:58:12 PM PDT

•  Btw I've looked at your comment "history" here (0+ / 0-)

and you're basically a deliberate contrarian, looking for and picking petty fights with site regulars, apparently just for the hell of it. Plus on top of that you're ok with cuts to SS in order to "save" it, lying about how cuts will eventually be necessary unless...SS is cut. Nice one. Now go ahead and tell me how SS is going bankrupt and the deficit is going to lead to rampant inflation.

by kovie on Fri Sep 05, 2014 at 07:02:17 PM PDT

•  heh (0+ / 0-)

Is this the best you got?

I had no clue that those entrenched in this site could get so hurt by an occasional poster. Nah, I don't think that's the case. It's just you being overly sensitive that you got called out in a lazy post (Amazon makes "huge" profits because Seattle!).

My suggestion to you is to post facts not fiction in the future.

Cuts to SS? Seattle!

•  In response to being in favor of "cuts" to SS (0+ / 0-)

Here are a few of my posts:

"The quicker government takes action to expand the SS trust fund, the better."

"something can be hashed out, right (regarding SS)? I don't expect to depend on social security when I get older (it certainly would help me retire earlier) but there will others who need it much more than I will. Some people (wealthier individuals) will be able to afford smaller benefits, IMO."

In response to Greenbell saying that the government should "tax me more" because it sounded like i was making a "nice surplus"
                    Fine by me...and we don't even come close to making over $200k. We just don't spend much money...

- -

So you can't get details correct, you can't stick what's being talked about and you have difficulty with reading comprehension. I think I like you, Kovie. You're keep things really "simple".