View Diary: Michigan Politics: The Week in Review, 7/17-23 (36 comments)

•  MI (none)
    I've been following these diaries of yours as I moved to this - horrible, odd, worst-state-in-the-union,,,,,pick one - place about 3 months ago, and I'm hating every minute of it.

What is up with this state?  High taxes, shit roads, ideology straight out of the twilight zone, economy sucks, job market sucks.  I seriously don't get it.

I have met a few friendly people, and perhaps that is the strength here, but as much as MI is portrayed as a blue state, all I have met are Bush Republicans.

Frankly, I am miserable.  Help.

"But your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore"--Prine Pay attention Georgie - 1700+ dead Americans, 100,000+ dead Iraqis, all on your head. WWJS?

by Miss Blue on Sat Jul 23, 2005 at 08:21:01 AM PDT

•  Michigan culture isn't for everyone (4.00)
      I moved to Michigan when I was 22 and have lived here for more than 30 years. Still, there are many aspects of this state's culture that trouble me.

This is a very macho state, perhaps because the automobile is so central to our way of life. It's no coincidence that Ted Nugent is a Michigander, though nowadays he lives in Crawford, Texas.

Michigan is also inbred, especially inside the legacy industries (automakers and suppliers in particular). Inability to recognize problems, let alone react to them, was devastating to the Big Three. KMart, too; not all that long ago, they were ahead of Wal-Mart in sales.

Finally, there is a strong anti-intellectual streak in Michigan. My wife worked for a large corporation, and her co-workers scoffed at her for having gone to college. They told her, "You lost four years of seniority."

And I still haven't gotten used to the weather here.

•  Ummmm,,,,,,,nooooooo,,,,, (none)
        apparently you misunderstood the question.

You sir, are supposed to tell me all the wonderful things about MI, lol, so I don't become suicidal.

Try again, lol.

by Miss Blue on Sat Jul 23, 2005 at 08:57:06 AM PDT

•  The beach! (none)
          Um...yeah...lots of beaches.

Pretty, pretty state, even if it is too hot this summer. Head for the coast, any coast.

What part of the state are you living in?

•  Suggestion: (none)
          The UP!!!!  Just hop on 75 North and haul ass!  As soon as you cross The Bridge, you'll feel a lot better.

"Free speech is not to be regulated like diseased cattle and impure butter." William O. Douglas.

by Street Kid on Sat Jul 23, 2005 at 09:27:16 AM PDT

•  Absolutely! (none)
            I'm afraid I've been a troll all my life (in the lower penninsula sense, not the freeper sense), but I was always taught by my parents that life gets better north of the 45th parallel. Alpena and northward has some of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen.

Of course, I live right on the 42nd parallel right now. Bit of a bummer. Republican farm country down here.

•  Sorry, I misunderstood your question (none)
          And I can't blame it on the beer because I responded before heading out to the festival.

What I tried to say is that you shouldn't blame yourself for being unhappy here.

Having said that, I'm glad other Michigan Kossacks weighed in with their reasons why this state is special.

Personally, I love fall here: football (I live close to Ann Arbor), fall colors, and Indian summer days that you wish could last forever.

•  That's the truth! (none)
        And I have lived in MI my whole life and the weather still makes me nuts--too damn hot in summer, but the winters are the greatest!

by Street Kid on Sat Jul 23, 2005 at 09:19:57 AM PDT

•  depends on where you live (4.00)
      There are stunningly beautiful places. There are interesting places. There are good people. You have to be open to finding them.

And you have to be open and ready to deal with race and class. To look at people as who they are and not how they look.

•  Trick to enjoying/appreciating MI! (none)
        Guess you could also call it a sense of adventure or discovery...

And there's no better place to discover than the UP!  (Hoping to move there next year--when I do, I am NEVER coming back downstate!)

by Street Kid on Sat Jul 23, 2005 at 09:41:28 AM PDT

•  I raise horses,,,, (none)
        and I've always been able to count on other horse people to get me through when I've moved to a new state.  Just doesn't seem to be happening here.

by Miss Blue on Sat Jul 23, 2005 at 10:19:57 AM PDT

•  It's a difficult place to get used to... (4.00)
      You have a industrial/business culture that can't see the handwriting on the wall as far as history passing the auto industry by.  It used to be that whatever the Big 3 said was what went.  Now, even though the Big 3 are bailing on the major plants, the state and its politicos still kiss the auto industry's ass and accept lesser paying jobs, making parts for suppliers.  Now even those jobs are getting moved overseas too.

Hell, in spite of jobs for suppliers moving overseas, they actually believe the BS excuse from the auto companies that the reason jobs can't stay here is because our education system is so terrible.  (Yeah, like they want college-educated people working on the line)  That whole attack on a supposedly terrible education system is nothing more than a polarizing, coded racist attack on blacks in Detroit, that the state GOP has been running since Engler was here.  Do you see anyone stepping up to the plate to actually DO something, like adequately fund education?

On the other hand, for the most part, the fundamentalists haven't taken over the GOP (as opposed to the run-of-the-mill corporate ass-lickers like Engler), so we got that going for us... which is nice.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." Steven Wright

by gsbadj on Sat Jul 23, 2005 at 10:31:35 AM PDT

•  We've been here a dozen years. (none)
      I like Michigan. Not so its politics, or its racism   - worst I've ever experienced.

But on the other hand:

*It has beautiful forests and lakes (. . .blue lakes and rocky shores. . )
      *Great art (esp. the DIA), excellent art festivals - Detroit, Pontiac, Ann Arbor, no doubt others
      *Great parks - Hartwick pines, pictured rocks, Sleeping Bear dunes, Porcupine Mountains,Isle Royale (Yes, it seems odd that it belongs to Michigan)
      *Good canoeing, and fishing & hunting, if you like those things
      *Great music, of any kind
      *Easy gardening - 4 seasons mean you can grow gorgeous things you can't grow very well where it is warmer (like peonies), or colder (like azaleas). And probably the most helpful extension agents  - thank you, MSU - in the country.

*Great restaurants, at very reasonable prices.
      *Incredibly diverse people, especially in SE Michigan. In few other places could you talk to someone whose parents were born (respectively) in China, Iraq, Albania, Germany, Chile, Somalia, Wales, Greece, Puerto Rico, and Korea, all of whom are citizens of this country.
      *In general, an absence of pretense as a basic characteristic of the population.

It's true that most of this is my experience of living in metro Detroit. I can't vouch that all of this holds for the entire state, but I'd like to think it does.