View Diary: Letters from an abortion doctor (156 comments)

•  Thirty years ago, I and 14 other ... (4.00)
    ...Boulderites, including three Republicans, founded the Boulder Valley Abortion Clinic, a non-profit operation that was the first abortion clinic in the nation to be fire-bombed. Actually, they hit our garage by mistake. We had many supporters, but others harassed and vilified us, as they did the clinic's patients.

That clinic has been closed since the mid-'80s, but Dr. Hern, whom I first met decades ago, has remained, courageously standing up for years against "pro-life" demonstrators, death threats and all manner of attempts to shut him down and deny choice to women who would exercise it. These days, the term "hero" is all-too-often diluted by assigning it to people who do little or nothing to deserve it. Hern, however, is a real hero.

As I wrote when you posted this at Liberal Street Fighter, kudos for bringing Dr. Hern's continuing gutsiness to our attention.

"The President wanted to go into Iraq in the worst possible way. And he did." -- Nancy Pelosi

by Meteor Blades on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 07:15:56 PM PDT

•  I worked in an office (4.00)
      That was bombed on the my second day there.  No one was hurt since it was late at night.  I too met Dr. Hern several times (although he'd never remember me I'm sure).  He and many others are so committed and brave to work in this minefield every day.

Kudos to all abortion providers.

•  hmmmmm, 30 years ago. (4.00)
      Its never been easy, has it?  And it never will be.  Just one of those things worth fighting for (despite what some in the Democratic Party say).

In a democratic society some are guilty, but all are responsible. -Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

by a gilas girl on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 07:53:26 PM PDT

•  In some ways it WAS easier then ... (4.00)
        ...because we had Roe v. Wade under our belt and we thought things would just get better. Now we're fighting rearguard actions everywhere, including - once again - within a certain spectral range of the Democratic Party itself.

by Meteor Blades on Wed Aug 03, 2005 at 07:59:27 PM PDT

•  30 Years Ago in Boulder . . . (4.00)
          I got pregnant . . . I was 20 and the father didn't want either of us. I was distraught, totally broke and abortion was legal but expensive in Colorado. I hitched a ride to San Francisco to get a free abortion. I've been here ever since. It was tough to go through it but I couldn't have cared for a baby. I now have a grown up 23 year old son. Such is life.

Thank you Dr. Hern. You are truly a hero. We can't let these horrible people take us backwards.

Dr. Patricia Jennings
          San Francisco, CA

•  Twelve years ago (none)
      The Planned Parenthood Clinic five blocks up the street from us was attacked twice; once with a stink bomb and then with a firebomb which did a fair amount of damage. The local police did little about this terrorist attack.

Five years ago, a man was arrested in Oregon who confessed to this and a dozen other attacks on clinics nationwide. Home grown terrosits are the worst.

Governor Brian Schweitzer on seeking the presidency; "I'm not half that smart and I'm none too pretty."

by Ed in Montana on Thu Aug 04, 2005 at 01:42:35 PM PDT

•  My mom (none)
      used to get packages with white powder and death threats at work in her Family Planning clinic.

That coupled with the weekly calling in of the cops to either evict the violent losers protesting or evict enraged and abusive boyfriends...

Was a trip for 15 year old me.

The only way to ensure a free press is to own one

by RedDan on Fri Aug 05, 2005 at 01:56:16 AM PDT