View Diary: Cindy Receives Warning From SS (276 comments)

•  If the Secret Service (4.00)
    is SO concerned about Cindy's safety, perhaps they should encourage Dear Leader to come out and speak to her so that she can speak her peace and go home.

We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. -MLK

by JLFinch on Sat Aug 06, 2005 at 11:47:44 PM PDT

•  Contrary to the movie Dave (3.40)
      The Secret Service is there to look tough and be tough when it comes to protection duty.

They have no more say with regards to policy than you or I. And I suspect that if they voice personal opinon, they are reassigned.

"Computer. End holographic program...Computer? Computer?"

by kredwyn on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 12:16:55 AM PDT

•  dude.... (1.85)
        get a heart. If the scare crow could get one..so could you. You are on the losing battle of this fight. Your comments on this thread are heartless.

*"I went to protest Dobson, and all I got was this damn feeding tube*

by Chamonix on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 12:23:31 AM PDT

•  These people are not (4.00)
          professional operatives.  Cindy is exhausted and yes, scared.  If she has overreacted - give it a rest.  Sitting at a computer and poking out wise comments is a lot different than being where these mothers are.  They are ordinary people under extraordinary pressure.  As well, probably the whole situation is heightening the ever present pain of loss of children.  I agree that the comment, if reported acurately, was over the top.  Just thinking of some of the things I have said under pressure - have some empathy.  However, some of the comments here are over the top as well.  Put yourself in the place of these people and give them a break.  Someone needs to talk to these women and calm them down a bit.  They are in need of comfort, not keyboard tough talk.

The beneficiaries are likely to be...large corporations and development firms. (O'Connor, J. dissenting in Kelo). God bless you, J. O'Connor.

by xanthe on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 04:15:43 AM PDT

•  Well... (4.00)
          a) Not a dude.

b) Not in a fight at all. And I wasn't doing anything beyond pointing out that it might be best to step back and think rather than react from the knee jerk response.

c) A heart? Do you really have to fall into ad hominem thwacks? Is that really what you can resort to?

Seriously. They have no say in the creation of public policy.

"Computer. End holographic program...Computer? Computer?"

by kredwyn on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 10:05:22 AM PDT

•  So why (none)
          are you wandering around giving folks 1s?

"Computer. End holographic program...Computer? Computer?"

by kredwyn on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 10:58:58 AM PDT

•  We should all be here to (none)
            Support Cindy and all others that go out to protest Bush and his illegal war, not discourage them. Cindy will read this thread and many comments are uncalled for and have hijacked parts of this diary. Some of the comments here are unproductive and I have rated a couple as I see them.

*"I went to protest Dobson, and all I got was this damn feeding tube*

by Chamonix on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 11:19:37 AM PDT

•  Support, eh? (4.00)
              So let's see...

You gave me a 1 for responding to your challenge of my comment with regards to the policy making capabilities of the Secret Service. That's not the agency's job.

You told me that I was heartless because...well I don't really know why. You imply something about  my comments throughout the thread are heartless.

But if you'd actually read my comments you'd note that I've voiced some not unusual concerns with regards to Cindy's safety...and the wisdom of camping by the side of the road in the middle of nowhereville, Texas. If you notice there are a number of other people who voice similar concerns.

But nowhere in there did you see anything about my not supporting Cindy's efforts. I'm all for Cindy speaking truth to power.

I did call for reason and thought over kneejerk reaction. I don't know where in the word "support," that doesn't exist as a supportive position.

"Computer. End holographic program...Computer? Computer?"

by kredwyn on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 11:29:36 AM PDT

•  Supporting (none)
                the tin foil hat comment was uncalled for. And worrying about ants? This woman's son was killed in Bush's illegal war, I don't think she is worried about spiders and ant's. I saw your comments as trying to discourage people from going and supporting her, perhaps that was not your intent, it just seemed to take away from the meaning of Cindy's quest and these diaries.  By putting several of your comments together I found some of them to be unwarrented and counterproductive.

*"I went to protest Dobson, and all I got was this damn feeding tube*

by Chamonix on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 11:45:15 AM PDT

•  Well gosh... (4.00)
                  I'm sorry. I was unaware that being supportive meant that blind faith was required.

But as someone who lived in Texas for quite a while, I am well aware of the dangers posed by Mother Nature. Additionally, if someone should get bit by a snake, that could end an effective protest rather quickly couldn't it?

It seems reasonable to me that people should be thoughtful of their environment whilst getting the message across.

"Computer. End holographic program...Computer? Computer?"

by kredwyn on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 11:53:33 AM PDT

•  and the support of (none)
                    the Tin Foil link, comment?

*"I went to protest Dobson, and all I got was this damn feeding tube*

by Chamonix on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 11:54:56 AM PDT

•  It was... (none)
                      a late Saturday night snark moment...they are part of the blogosphere.

Also I find it problematic to imply that the Secret Service is a group of murdering thugs.

"Computer. End holographic program...Computer? Computer?"

by kredwyn on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 11:56:49 AM PDT

•  I think it was more (none)
                        intimidation and trying to get her to leave. They should have been treating this woman with kid gloves, even trying to get the sheriff to help out with the possible road problem..maybe helping instead of telling them they could be killed..... Thanks for setting the record straight in regards to your late night snark. I will go back and change my ratings.

*"I went to protest Dobson, and all I got was this damn feeding tube*

by Chamonix on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 12:20:28 PM PDT

•  Of course they want (none)
                          the protestors to go and stay in a hotel at night. They absolutely do not want anyone to die on their watch.

They went by and advised. Sharon points this out in the objective section of her diary. Cindy is camped on a corner. She acknowledged that it's not easy visibility. There is little to no shoulder.

Their job in Crawford is security. By having Cindy and others camped at the corner, they wind up with one more mutable factor in their equation. The fewer things that they have to worry about...the better for them.

Trating her with kid gloves implies a lack of respect. That turns her into a fragile creature. CIndy Sheehan is so not a fragile creature. She's a pillar of strength. And I suspect that the guys who are in the Secret Service who'd served in the military earlier recognize that strength as that of their mothers.

I know that I'd want to be treated with respect...kid gloves can be taken as condescension.

"Computer. End holographic program...Computer? Computer?"

by kredwyn on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 12:34:24 PM PDT

•  I find the (none)
                  holier-than thou attitude you're exhibiting less than productive, myself.
                •  This thread (none)
                  is rife with "informed" commentary from uninformed people. It wouldn't be so offensive if it weren't for the accompanying attitude.

I'm from New Mexico. When I was a baby, my mother was hospitalized with fire-ant bites.

Where do you live, exactly?

•  I do support Cindy (none)
              I also support my cousin, who is in the Secret Service. Got a problem with that?

Can we get out of this dreadful black-and-white territory, now, please?

•  Funny (none)
          Here I thought wildly inaccurate mischaracterizations of my independent-thinking cousin in the SS were heartless.

Kredwyn has said nothing that isn't simply sensible. I genuinely don't understand the motivation behind needing to believe the Secret Service is all bad, all the time. THAT, I find not only heartless, but mindless.

•  or supply her and the group with (4.00)
      some sort of security or safty, instead of making wise ass remarks like "you might get killed out here". After all her son is one of over 1,800 people that have died in Iraq. Once again..Bush is managing to fuck something else up. His PR skill are for shit.

*"I went to protest Dobson, and all I got was this damn feeding tube*

by Chamonix on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 12:21:15 AM PDT

•  Or give her a friendly warning... (4.00)
        Or, you know, they could mention to her that people drive fast on that road and that she should be on the lookout.

Look, this woman has a pass because she lost her son in Iraq and I can more than understand being a little paranoid about it. The rest of ya'll who seriously think the secret service is out to get her just need to get outside and try to rediscover that line between healthy skepticism and batsh*t insane paranoia.

(OMG did you see Skyshadow threaten the folks who think the SS is out to kill Cindy! He wants them to go outside where they'll be easy targets for Delta force snipers and government superlaser satellites!)

• Recommended (149)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (21)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site