View Diary: Today in Crawford, TX with Cindy Sheehan UPDATED w/pics (241 comments)

•  Good Coverage Here, But (2.00)
    I hope everyone involved realizes they are having their photos taken by the SS, FBI, etc., wherever you parked your car/truck, all of your license plates are being photographed for identification and recorded into the database.

and don't be surprised if your name ends up on the NO-FLY list "accidentally" or on purpose and you can't board a plane the next time you and your family want to fly somewhere on a commercial airline.

•  You do what I Do (3.70)
      Hand them a Business Card with All Pertinant Information, at Any Rally I See Them, that way they don't have to Waste More Taxpayers Monies and it Simplifies the Process!!!!

Never did check, didn't give a Shit, but my info was probably already in the Archives from the Seventies!!

What's your Worry 'Jail Time', hey a Rest is good for everyone, free food and a cot, and Cuba's a Great Place to Visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Starowicz

VFP 'Declaration Of Impeachment'

Sign On and Pass Link To Others

VFP Impeachment Petition

USN '67-'71 GMG3 Vietnam In-Country'70-'71 COMNAVFORV

•  When they were taking my picture (3.87)
        I said, "Wait!  Let me stand up so you can get a better shot."  And so I posed.  Then one agent went to his car to get a better camera and asked my to stand by my tent so he could take my picture with my tent.  I told him that my only request was that he make my thighs look thin.

I don't give a shit!!!!  These assholes have ruined my country!  I can barely survive on my current income!  We will still be at war when my son is old enough to be drafted!  They are still trying to get my grown son!  Hell! I am PROUD to be in their files!

The Christian Right is neither Witness Every Day

by TXsharon on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 07:47:16 AM PDT

•  Freedom, liberty and justice, (3.91)
      are seldom convenient.
      •  AGREED (1.14)
        but I think you and I can agree there's a right and wrong way to achieve any given objective.

the protest in Crawford will NOT achieve the desired objective.

•  so what have you done this month (4.00)
          that will achieve the disired outcome.  And what makes you think your desired objective is the same as everyone else's?

Tired of the corporate DLC suck ups?WE'VE GOT DEANS BACK

by TeresaInPa on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 10:27:41 AM PDT

•  UH,,, OK... (none)
            feel free to correct me if I'm "wrong" (I'm not) but the stated objective of both Mrs. Sheehan AND myself is to get our people the hell out of Iraq... and my feeling is we need to get out of Afghanistan and the central Asian region as well.

are you stating Mrs. Sheehan has a different objective here?

given the objective and the most efficacious way to achieve said objective-- is NOT a handful of people protesting outside of Chimpy's barnyard... and possibly getting arrested in the process.

again, I am interested in RESULTS here, not just talking tough while conveniently sitting in the air conditioning at my keyboard.

•  blacklisted for emergency flight (4.00)
      Hey, I was put on the suspected terrorist "full search" list just because I had to purchase a last-minute one-way ticket to Miami to get to my father's bedside at the hospital, as he lay near death in critical condition.

The security personnel at the airport told me I will be considered a suspected terrorist for at least a year, and any flight I take on any airline will have SSSSSSSSSS printed on my ticket.

Sure enough, every flight I've been on since then (about four) has blacklisted me. They take one look at my ticket and pull me out of line and give me and my bags the full search.

Most mortifying for me was just before boarding one flight, when the lady who took my boarding pass was training someone else. She stopped me and turned to her trainee and whispered to her, loud enough that I managed to hear her: "When you see a ticket like this one, you have to let the crew on the plane know right away that they have a suspected terrorist on board, and point out the person to them."

So when we're living in a country where it's come to this, better to be singled out for standing up for a noble cause.

•  how many people would it take... (4.00)
        to be "blacklisted" to slow down the security process at the airports?  how many would it take to overload the security personnel?
        •  Perhaps every left oriented blogger should (4.00)
          ... book  last-minute flight to trigger the seach system.  There must be enough of us to all by ourselves to ensure that every airport will be slowed daily.

Once it hits the airlines' pocket-books, the system would probably fix itself pretty quickly.

Beware the everyday brutality of the averted gaze.

by mataliandy on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 02:49:33 PM PDT

•  Uhhhhhh (none)
          some of you are MISSING the point here.

WHY SHOULD WE make any sort of goddamn effort to "overload the security personnel"??

are WE criminals? you apparently have no clue here just what BushCo means by "New World Order".

do you see what is going on in Iraq, Afghanistan? outright murder and torture of totally innocent people? Hussein's sons and grandson murdered without due process, without a trial??

do you assume this scenario won't occur right here in the U.S. if BushCo and the corporate mastere deem it to be "necessary"?

I think a number of you are in for a very rude awakening one day.

•  Bona fide trolling (none)
            I don't know if you're a troll, but you are certainly trolling this diary.  Have a cookie:

Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
            2 cups all-purpose flour
            1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
            1 teaspoon baking soda
            1 teaspoon salt
            3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
            1 cup granulated sugar
            2 large eggs
            1 cup blanched hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
            3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
            1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350F and butter and flour a large baking sheet.

In a bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until combined well. Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Stir in hazelnuts and chocolate chips.

On prepared baking sheet with floured hands from dough into two slightly flattened logs, each 12 inches long and 2 inches wide, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Bake logs 35 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool biscotti on baking sheet 5 minutes.

On a cutting board cut biscotti diagonally into 3/4-inch slices. Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool biscotti on a rack.

I've made it very clear, he was not involved, that there's no truth to the suggestion that he was.-McClellan, 2003

by GN1927 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 04:29:31 PM PDT

•  FEEBLE (none)
              I see.. so I'm a "troll" if I don't just go along with the flow of the discussion and pretend everything is OK like a good little robot?

take a hike.

It appears increasingly clear that Dkos is just another feeble sort of little club where the requirements for admission are:

1.) pretend the democrats have a solution.

2.) don't ask for much or dig too deep to look for real solutions.. it's just too much work.

I've seen it all before-- specifically at Salon years ago where I predicted Gore's loss eighteen months before it happened.

•  And hence I say you are trolling (2.50)

1.) pretend the democrats have a solution.

What's the purpose of this?  You have littered this thread with non-stop complaints that Sheehan's protest is pointless and then you went off on a weird tangent about protesting and no-fly lists.  As if a grieving mother who has the courage to march up to Bush's vacation home really gives a shit about the inevitable opening of FBI files on her.

You've been obnoxious.

If you have ideas about an effective manner of challenging corruption, by all means, post a diary and invite commenters to participate.

by GN1927 on Sun Aug 07, 2005 at 07:48:44 PM PDT

•  Wrong (none)
                  Here's what is obnoxious and pointless:

recognizing there IS a problem (i.e. a never ending war to protect U.S. corporations in the middle east and elsewhere)and insisting on taking the wrong approach in resolving the problem.

let's be truthful: do you or anyone here actually believe Chimpy is going to go out in front of major media and talk face to face with Mrs. Sheehan? and even IF he does, do you actually believe he pull most or all of the troops out of Iraq?

????

you actually believe he has the balls or the authority to make this happen?

please, you can't be that NAIVE. please tell me it ain't so.

apparently you've forgotten Bar's comment not too long ago about "not letting things like this trouple her beautiful mind".

in other words, American troops ARE INDEED expendable and merely grist for the corporate mill.

the 2,000 or so soldiers currently KIA in Iraq can't be brought back. my answer is still the same: families who care about their sons, daughters, husbands, fathers, mothers etc. should STAY away from the U.S. military. avoid it like the plague.

as to the larger picture of what to do politically, I've made myself clear here a number of times in various threads. there's no point in a diary since most of you still don't get it.

I mean no disrespect; I've been posting on public WEB forums since 1998. that's seven years now. in that time things have gotten much, much worse in the U.S. And in that time period I've met a nominal number of people who actually comprehend WHO is running the U.S.

Clue: it's NOT we the people.

I think we can agree that one cannot solve the problem until one recognizes and admits what the problem is.

•  You're being incredibly (none)
                    nasty about this, from your cynical and mean-spirited critique of this demonstration to your penchant for throwing out "1"s when others call you on it.

Again, if you have alternative notions of how to fight this battle, by all means, post a diary explaining your position.  But don't denigrate the efforts of others, particularly of a grieving mother who has already scored a public relations hit and is doing her part, as best she can, to end this war.  Shame on you for your negativity and denunciation of her efforts.

by GN1927 on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 12:42:19 PM PDT

•  Weak Load (none)
                      "... demonstration to your penchant for throwing out "1"s when others call you on it."

oh, please. you can't be serious. I've got people putting my comments here into hidden mode left and right. I've every right to give a comment a "One" when in fact it is feeble and unproductive.

AGAIN, let's review my position for those of you who keep insisting on limiting the discussion to the fantasy-land level:

I AGREE with Mrs. Sheehan's desire to PROTEST the needless and pointless death of her son and all the rest at the hands of BushCo.

GET IT? I AGREE!!

what I don't agree with is showing up to protest at Chimpy's barnyard. and again, please be honest enough to answer this: do you ACTUALLY believe BushCo is going to pull out of Iraq because 50 or 100 people get themselves arrested outside the "ranch"??

if you can't answer this then stop wasting my time. which by the way, is my entire point: stop wasting time at the guy's "ranch"-- because he is NOT in charge of what the Pentagon does or doesn't do.

•  Of course she knows he will never talk to her (4.00)
                    That is the whole entire point of what she is doing.  What she is doing is very effective!

So...why don't you enlighten us?

The Christian Right is neither Witness Every Day

by TXsharon on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 01:21:39 PM PDT

•  I think Superpole is just trolling (4.00)
                      and trying to do his/her part to stymie an incredible effort which has already yielded media attention.  We are so incredibly proud of you and are behind you 100%.  Ignore Superpole.  You focus on the positive, and leave the trolls to those of us in the Kos community who can't be with you physically, although we are with you in spirit.

by GN1927 on Mon Aug 08, 2005 at 07:42:31 PM PDT

•  Another Weak Load (none)
                        this is unbelievable.

so you're telling me the sole purpose of Mrs. Sheehan's protest at the "ranch" is merely to get media attention?

?????

what a load. you've again conveniently overlooked some rather major items.. by all means go ahead and continue to do so, but please don't expect me to go along with your delusion.

•  I said that her protest has been (none)
                          effective in getting media attention.  The purpose of the protest is her son, Superpole.  Because at the end of the day, when Bush is impeached and the GOP is in disgrace, this lady will have to live the rest of her days without her son.  Call me "delusional" if you will.

I don't think our troops should be used for what's called nation building. - George W. Bush, 2000

by GN1927 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 at 04:22:54 PM PDT