View Diary: Who is the 11th greatest singer ever? (with poll) (73 comments)

•  Choices (none)
    I'm surprised Lennon even made the list.  He's a martyr, sure, and a voice remembered fondly, but he's well behind Cooke and Redding for beauty.

Presly I'd disqualify simply for being a cracker singer robbing music and making money off of unmarketable blacks.  But that's just me.  Also, his songs tended to not be very interesting.

Dylan has a horrid voice.  Great songs and I love him, but to list him in the same way is egregiously wrong.  Who would place him up there with Marvin Gaye and Al Green?  Good God.

Paul McCartney is there with Lennon.  If Lennon is listed, why isn't McCartney?  They're fairly equal in register and elegance.  I'd guess Lennon is listed for the more challenging content of his songs, other than that martyr thing.

Why not Bob Marley, for that matter?

I voted Al Green, by the way.  His voice was gorgeous.

Oh dear, I just realized Cash isn't up there.  He's the equal to Sinatra in my mind.  Just a stunning, commanding voice.

•  Before he died (none)
      I thought his was the greatest voice in rock. Still do. The saccharine McCartney is no contest - Lennon's sound had so much more content and was profoundly affecting. Martyrdom has nothing to do with it.

Let the great world spin for ever down the ringing grooves of change. - Tennyson

by bumblebums on Sun Aug 21, 2005 at 02:39:43 PM PDT

•  indeed (none)
      dylan's voice is like nails on a chalkboard, and lennon was a better songwriter than singer.

"Democrats: Always standing up for what they later realise they should have believed in." -Jon Stewart, the Daily Show

by anna on Sun Aug 21, 2005 at 03:33:55 PM PDT

•  Lennon vs McCartney (none)
      I love McCartney, but he could never pull off a wrenching tour de force like the Plastic Ono Band album.  Lennon's singing on that is so emotional, brooding/rageful/tender, it's like an icepick straight into the heart.

But yes, McC has a beautiful voice and was a great screamer.  I think it was Little Richard who said he was the best white screamer.

And yes, Dylan's voice is awful.

*Springsteen for President*

by hrh on Sun Aug 21, 2005 at 03:58:23 PM PDT

•  Plastic Ono Band (none)
        Definitely some of his best performances, and in terms of an album's worth of performance, his best.

The revolution will not be televised, but we'll analyze it to death at The Next Hurrah.

by Dana Houle on Sun Aug 21, 2005 at 04:23:40 PM PDT

•  He was never able to top 'Ono Band' (none)
        not even with 'Imagine.'  (Though obviously that song is a classic.)

My favorite Beatle, though, was George.  Underrated.

Visit RemoveRepublicans.com and follow every 2006 Senate race.

by AnthonySF on Sun Aug 21, 2005 at 05:58:09 PM PDT

•  My favorite Beatle was Ringo (none)
          talk about underrated :-)

I love (luv?) them all, including George.  Each one had something special and powerful.

But Lennon is the only one whose solo stuff I find consistently solid, even amazing.  In recent years, I discovered the "Double Fantasy" album.  I was so sick of the singles when it first came out (overplay due to his assassination) that I never listened to the whole album.  I really like it, even Yoko's stuff.

*Springsteen for President*