View Diary: Not One More (168 comments)

•  Another simple question... (4.00)
    ... for the "Cindy doesn't speak for me," mob.

When did Cindy ever say she was speaking for everyone?

The mob, on the other hand, wants to speak for all. Or, more accurately, to silence us.

We won't let them.

Carry on Cindy - see you in D.C.

I donated to ePluribus Media. Support citizen journalism!

by sidinny on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 06:20:01 AM PDT

•  speaking for others (4.00)
      The Right, I've noticed, has this thing wherein they allow others to speak for them. A Rightie at MMFA freely admitted that he allows not just Bush, but Limbaugh, Hannity, et al, to speak for him, thus lacking any willingness for independant thought. Whereas most of us on The Left speak for ourselves, think for ourselves, and generally do not allow others, whether its Moore, Franken, or Schultz, to speak for us.

"Never get involved in a land war in Asia." -Vezzini, The Princess Bride

by PanzerMensch on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 06:28:22 AM PDT

•  It's nice to have a voice sometimes (3.75)
        but I agree with the ideals of the Left being free-thinking. This is why I was slightly offended by the "Dean Speaks For Me" meme that has been going around. I agree with Dean and I am a progressive, but I didn't like the sentiment of anyone speaking for me. I can do that for myself, thank you very much.
      •  Speaking is Hard. (none)
        You have to concisely put words together so that they come out of your mouth in a coherent way.

Speech Cowards. Afraid to pipe up. Adopt a Cliche.
        Check with other cowards to find out the latest slogan.

They want to kill? Where's the recruiter?

A society of sheep must beget in time a government of wolves. Bertrand de Jouvenel

by Little Red Hen on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 08:12:40 AM PDT

•  Weird (none)
        It's real weird. I was just talking to my roomie Rev Dee about this very thing. As I was reading this thread, I thought, it all boils down to this:

Do you think for yourself, or not?

Those who think for themselves are liberal, tolerant, open minded, generally Democratic or Independent. Those who do not are told what to think, thus you see Rethugs, Reichwingers, hatemongers, Sheeple.

You put it very well, PanzerMench. Not much more to add than that. It's simple...really. Yup.

~Independent Thinking is dangerous to those who can't think without a script.~

Choo Choo Q.

"Those that set in motion the forces of evil cannot always control them afterwards." ~~ Charles W. Chesnutt

by Quotefiend on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 12:43:39 PM PDT

•  That really bugs me too... (4.00)
      But I think the aim of these sorts of slogans is to plant the idea that Cindy speaks for you in people's heads. It doesn't have to make sense or even have anything to do with something Cindy actually said. It just has to scream something that gets people worked up.

I thought it was just stupid, at first, but really it's a sly tactic to get folks more pissed off. How dare some woman I don't know speak for me?

Well, that's what their propaganda is intended to do, and it seems to be pretty effective on sheeple who don't read or think for themselves.

"Part of the facts is understanding we have a problem, and part of the facts is what you're going to do about it."-- G.W. Bush, April 15, 2005

by flashlass on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 10:09:11 AM PDT

•  The other tactic... (4.00)
        ... which they are generally very effective at, is to shift the focus from the real issue(s) to Cindy.

They're trying to make this about her, not about Bush or the war.

I have to add - I love that Cindy is playing the framing game in her own right by consistently referring to them as the "pro-war" crowd.

Something for us all to keep in mind, especially in dealing with these wonderful "culture of life" folks and "values voters."

I donated to ePluribus Media. Support citizen journalism!

by sidinny on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 10:22:42 AM PDT

•  Yes, the framing thing (4.00)
          Is brilliant. One day I was talking with a friend and when the subject of abortion issues came up, and I used the reference, "Pro-lifer." He said, "don't use that phrase, it's one they labelled themselves so that the only alternative is to be "anti-life" which makes you sound out-and-out evil.

I hadn't really thought about it in detail before, but that's probably the wingnuts most successful strategy - to name things in a way that to oppose them would be completely insane or cruel.

Good point, and I'm likewise glad to see Cindy is able to turn their own sneaky strategy against them.

by flashlass on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 12:45:10 PM PDT

• Rescued (19)
  • Media (19)
  • 2016 (17)
  • Science (16)
  • Environment (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site