View Diary: Where Are the Louisiana National Guard? (133 comments)

•  I (4.00)
    wonder if the Bush supporters would be willing to head for New Orleans to pack some sandbags?
      All they're doing in Crawford is waving picket signs, harassing peaceful protesters.
    •  Support Our Troops (4.00)
      Take their place on the levee.

I know how men in exile feed on dreams. - Aeschylus

by Patricia Taylor on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 08:07:47 AM PDT

•  Isn't that what they are all doing? (3.77)
      Isn't that what they are all doing down there? So why does every topic here have to be so political? Wouldn't we all like to go down there and help those people? Is anyone living near there in this community going to volunteer regardless of who they damn well voted for?
      •  Because political decisions (4.00)
        are having a tremendous impact on pretty much all aspects of life in this country.  This is a political site.  Of course there is going to be some discussion of the impact of the National Guard's Iraq deployment in a time in which they are sorely needed stateside.

I don't think our troops should be used for what's called nation building. - George W. Bush, 2000

by GN1927 on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 08:49:08 AM PDT

•  I'll Bet (4.00)
        if you canvass people sandbagging, that most of the people who stayed behind to do so are not rich Republicans.

So I would think that yes, everyone who was allowed would volunteer to stay and sandbag, but that no, everyone hasn't.

Everything is political.

Especially disasters like this because public health policy determines, to some degree, who will live and who will die.

And public health policy is being wanked around by political operatives in the Bush Administration.

Check out which neighborhoods in New Orleans house the power plants, chemical plants, and sewage treatment plants that will be destroyed or damaged in this storm, polluting the areas around them.

By and large, you'll find poor and working class people living near these facilities.

Everything is political.

I know how men in exile feed on dreams. - Aeschylus

by Patricia Taylor on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 08:51:39 AM PDT

•  "Why does every topic (4.00)
        have to be so political"?????

Isn't this a political blog? 'Scuse me, gotta go check and see if I'm still on dailykos.

•  That's not what I meant (4.00)
          Perhaps the word should then have been "partisan." I just don't see a major hurricane that will effect people of all politics as an opportunity to drag what is going on in Crawford Texas into it, when there are people of all politics down there as well. Just tired of the partisan nastiness so many topics vear towards. Of course the fact that national guard are now in Iraq is a factor in this coming storm, and they are also there because Americans in Congress of ALL politics condoned them being sent there by voting for this war. Perhaps then to be totally fair, those in Congress on both sides of the aisle who voted for this damned illegal war should go down there and put up sandbags.
           How's that for political?
          •  Excellent Perspective (3.90)
            and not shared by the opposition.

Actually, what is happening to New Orleans is very partisan in nature -

Al Gore takes global warming seriously and he understands that there will be domestic disasters as a result of the trend.

It is also quite possible that Al Gore, as President would not have taken Louisiana's National Guard and put them Iraq, where they can't sandbag the levees of New Orleans.

I know how men in exile feed on dreams. - Aeschylus

by Patricia Taylor on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 09:37:49 AM PDT

•  You are correct (4.00)
              Perhaps you do have a point, but the effects are not partisan. This storm will not pick and choose who or what to strike based on political allegiance, and I suppose that was really the gist of my original point. And also maybe, just maybe, the storms we are now seeing wouldn't be so strong if so many in certain circles kept thinking all these years that climate change was just a "myth", and had done more to counter its effects.

I'm not saying this storm coming now wouldn't be as strong as it is otherwise, but we are definitely seeing much stronger hurricanes the last few years, and I do believe that is in part due to the effects of climate change which is induced by human behavior. This storm surge should it reach 25 feet will be unprecedented in the history of New Orleans. So again, while I don't think of the effects of that as political in regarding what we will need to do to help these people, I do understand that it is political in nature regarding the fact that those who need to be there to do their job for our people, aren't there because they are too busy defending the corporate backers of Bush, and yes, that is wrong. Oh, and yes, life in America under President Gore...Reflecting on the fact that we never really had that truly does sadden me.

•  Who claimed the effects were partisan? (4.00)
                Rather, the diary is examining the effects on all of us of a national leadership which has placed its partisan agenda over our well-being.  You'd better believe we're going to talk about this.

by GN1927 on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 10:31:55 AM PDT

•  Swamp lust (3.00)
              Even if the hurricane strength is a direct consequence of global warming (possible) New Orleans has been in trouble for a number of other unrelated reasons for quite some time now.  Sitting at the mouth of the mighty Mississippi was the city's reason for existence and now quite possibly the ultimate cause of its destruction.  Sitting below sea level with pumps running at all times and levees all around was too tenuous a situation to stay stable forever.  It was just a matter of time before something like this happened.

Of course I don't know exactly what will happen when the storm hits tomorrow.  But all data points to New Orlean's absolute worst case scenario come to life.  I'm not optimistic.

Well, the city will never really die - the tourist trade won't allow it.  I wouldn't be too surprised if it tried to go the way of Venice - though I don't think that would take, what with the gators and mosquitoes and the drunk students.

On that note, the dual purpose of the National Guard - emergency relief at home and emergency troop numbers abroad - has always been at odds, although their mission skills complement each other.  It's just too many demands at once - this could have happened on ANY deployment.  Civilians are going to have to take up much of the slack this time.

•  I'd be more appreciative of your point (4.00)
            if, for example, the diaries and comments offering free inland room and board, amazingly updated and accurate information, and requests for which emergency organizations we can donate to were limiting this concern and assistance to "democrats or liberals only."  Funny, I've seen none of that.  I have not seen a comment with a Kossack offering to house 4 people include a "only liberals need respond" disclaimer.  Rather, I see genuine concern for everyone.

And guess what?  What's been going down in Crawford, Texas has dragged the country into "it," not vice versa.  I'm not willing to give Bush a pass when imagining elderly and infirm waiting for relief and that relief being delayed because National Guard troops can't be part of this effort.  Fuck that.

by GN1927 on Sun Aug 28, 2005 at 10:29:38 AM PDT

•  excuse me, this is about politics and it's affect. (4.00)
      •  I agree (none)
        forget the politics and help the Cajuns---just remember they could be good demo,s.  Tkanks AlGorePatriot
    •  Great idea!! (4.00)
      Also a great idea for the peaceful protesters.

• Recommended (152)
  • Education (18)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Racism (17)
  • Politics (17)
  • Media (17)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site