View Diary: Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief - $15,161.08 Raised and Counting (292 comments)

•  please do not forget (4.00)
    As always the poor will be the last served. PLEASE do not forget MISSISSIPPI. The people that have lost the most are already off the screen. Help the people with the least. The media will not be filming areas where people had nothing to begin with. These poor of MISS need as much or more as NO
      •  Good job... (none)
        everyone should try to do something if they can.

This post is not to be misconstrued as associated with political fundraising or any other campaign activity. This post is general commentary of current events.

by RichardG on Tue Aug 30, 2005 at 01:19:53 PM PDT

•  How about the penny? (none)
          Online fundraising for political candidates brought the penny to show it came from us netroots.

How about we use the Kossack penny in our donations to the charities listed above?  Let them know that progressives are the people of "how can we help" rather than "what's in it for me."

It's simple.  Instead of giving, say, $10, give them $10.01.  Enough of those extra pennies not only help more people but can let them see where their supporters come from.

Chaos, fear, dread. My work here is done.

by madhaus on Tue Aug 30, 2005 at 04:53:58 PM PDT

•  Thanks David (4.00)
          Hope I did not drag you away from watching volleyball. (joke) My point was that the poverty areas will get little or nothing and that drives me nuts. I am in northwest Ontario and run a fishing camp. I am thinking about cancelling a week or two and closing early to go south to help. I am a US citizen and I can start my off season early, Money I can make any year And the moose that will be spared  will thank me untill they find out that I transfered my hunters to another outfitter. I am Agnostic  but want to hook up with a good charitable group to help rebuild this winter.I have time in the off season and think it is time I give somthing back
    •  Hi Glass (4.00)
      FYI - all of the charities I list are for Hurricane Katrina aid - not specific to Louisiana or any other state for that matter.  It will generally go to the relief fund.

Fret not...

The revolution is coming... and we ARE the revolution. 65W40S

by RenaRF on Tue Aug 30, 2005 at 11:43:53 AM PDT

•  Update Glass (none)
      Arkansas has dispatched 350 National Guard personnel to Mississippi to help with the devastation.

The revolution is coming... and we ARE the revolution. 65W40S

by RenaRF on Tue Aug 30, 2005 at 12:23:55 PM PDT

•  Mississippi (none)
      Since Catholic Charities is listed above I hope it's OK to also mention Episcopal Relief and Development, not only because I'm always shamelessly plugging my denomination but because their website says they have already sent emergency help to Mississippi.  They've sent cash as well as practical stuff like generators and chainsaws to help with rescue work.

I sent $25.01 to ERD today, but I'll have more money to give after the first of the month.

Because of the last minute turn to the east, Mississippi took the direct Category Four eye hit that had been predicted for New Orleans, and was battered by the strongest and most dangerous winds.  there are some really poor people in that coastal area and, as glass house correctly noted, they won't get as much media attention as NO.

Last but not least, let's show some love to the red states.  If it were a disaster in a blue area I know the freepers would not be pouring out money as we are doing now.  </cynicism>

Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

by TrueBlueMajority on Tue Aug 30, 2005 at 06:02:55 PM PDT

I like the Episcopalians.

Or as my husband calls them, the "Whisky-palians"

(He grew up Southern Baptist.)

•  OT re "Whiskypalians" (none)
          Wherever there are four of them, you'll always find a fifth!

sorry for the OT joke but sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.

by TrueBlueMajority on Wed Aug 31, 2005 at 10:27:55 AM PDT