View Diary: Katrina, Politics and Iraq (173 comments)

•  The tragedy spike (4.00)
    I don't see him getting better poll numbers over this one, this time.

Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night - Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)

by mdhatter on Wed Aug 31, 2005 at 08:27:55 PM PDT

•  Bush is Getting Slammed... (none)
      In editorial after editorial from the ultra right-wing Manchester Union to the Ny Times.  Man, if he's lost the Union he is burnt toast.

"We're all working for the Pharoh" - Richard Thompson

by mayan on Wed Aug 31, 2005 at 08:49:02 PM PDT

•  Golly, I hope you're right ... (4.00)
      ...but I've been led to believe that he couldn't possibly gain from situations in the past and was proved wrong. So, I'm not yet persuaded that he and his handlers won't find some way to make him seem ... presidential in this catastrophe and ratchet himself up a few points. At least temporarily.

"The President wanted to go into Iraq in the worst possible way. And he did." -- Nancy Pelosi

by Meteor Blades on Wed Aug 31, 2005 at 08:49:54 PM PDT

•  Remember... (none)
        ...what masters these thugs are at manipulating public opinion.

I won't be AT ALL surprised if the Rethugs gain seats in both the House and Senate in 2006.

--Anne ** ** ** ** ** ** "Hyena crawls on his belly out. The town is safe again tonight." --jms

by asskicking annie on Wed Aug 31, 2005 at 08:58:51 PM PDT

•  I'm with you. (4.00)
        I think the theme has to be Greed and Incompetence.

Bush is on vacation.  Pound him on it.  Connect it to "My Pet Goat."

The situation in New Orleans is just unbelieveable.  What the hell have the FEMA folks been doing for three days?

I've been watching the WWL-TV live feed off and on today and the fact that there are still thousands of folks stranded on roofs, second floors, in attics three days-post hurricane is mond-boggling.

We're like a goddamned third world country.  And there has been a clear, underlying tension over the lack of National Guard availability.

This disaster ties up all the loose ends of this administration's many inane, insane efforts and policies... needed state forces tied up in a needless war; a slow and seemingly unconcerned response dur to the Bush/Cheney lack of empathy for anyone unlike themselves -- rich and white; proce gouging and more political favors for the oil industry, Halliburton, Bechtel, etc.; environmentally destructive policies such as favoring development over wetlands and ignoring/denying global warming... The list goes on and on.

Greed and Incompetence.  A deadly combination.

•  Don't forget to add "arrogance." n/t (none)

by Meteor Blades on Wed Aug 31, 2005 at 09:13:13 PM PDT

•  No shit.... (4.00)
          These guys couldn't get back to DC fast enough when Terri Schiavo was the "theme du jour"....

And all for political points!!!

So this "... let's not get into politics - the nation needs us together" is crass bullshit.  You know the republicans are spinning this as fast as they can, and all they care about is politics, ahem, I mean MONEY and POWER.

So, yes, let's roll over and show our bellies in a spirit of coming together... just don't twitch when they plunge the knife in... and please don't squeal either - it detracts from the purity of the scene.

Where's the "Culture of LIfe" NOW, HUH!?!

"Every day, in every way, I think I'm going to vomit."

by seronimous on Wed Aug 31, 2005 at 09:52:35 PM PDT

•  Haley Barbour gets his comeuppance (none)
          According to RFKJr., Barbour was instrumental in getting W to renege on his campaign promise to regulate CO2. Looks like Mother Nature decided to smack him down.
        •  Let's not forget Classist and Racist (none)
          If those were blonde, white women down there, the response almost certainly would be much greater.  If they were wealthy, even more so.  The "Lawlessness and Looting" you're seeing is a direct result of the failed response, and it's going to get worse.  I think this might have ramifications in more than just the Southern cities hit by the hurricane, I think we have a Rodney King situation here again.  I hope those people get help and fast, and I also am noticing a serious racist response to this catastrophe.
      •  Check out the main NYT editorial today... (none)
        They say the idiot gave the worst speech of his presidency yesterday:

"And nothing about the president's demeanor yesterday - which seemed casual to the point of carelessness - suggested that he understood the depth of the current crisis."

His pathetic, late response to the crisis along the Gulf Coast, along with the resulting rising gas prices, will not help endear him to the masses. In light of this, I don't see how his pol numbers will improve.

It's just another example how detatched Dear Leader is from reality. I can imagine that as he safely looked down upon the devastation yesterday from 2000 feet, all he could think of were Tonka toys and train sets.

•  to get the benefit (none)
        there has to be doubt

there isn't ANY.

they failed.

Direct line, money trail, dead people.

To quote our president.

"Fool me twice..... i won't be fooled again"

by mdhatter on Thu Sep 01, 2005 at 10:46:18 AM PDT

•  WHO GIVES A FUCK (none)
      about bush's poll numbers!

The only thing people care about now is trying to help.  In any way they can.

Ever been through a hurricane? I worried about 4 last year (so much so that I evacuated twice) and lost power for a total of 9 days from the other TWO.

No one effected gives a damn about which politician was to blame.

And I have to say this to this community:  most effected have NOTHING BUT CONTEMPT FOR PEOPLE OF ANY POLITICAL IDEOLOGY WHO TRY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE.
      Having been personally involved in efforts to help people from Charlie last year - I have nothing but contempt for someone wondering about Bush's poll numbers, or what the impact is on 2006.

The last thing you care about in the aftermath is assigning blame.

I am profoundly disappointed in this board in the aftermath of the tragedy.

If you give a damn, get out your checkbook.  Offer to house some homeless.  Rent a U-Haul and stock full of groceries and get on the road.

Of shit the fuck up - because you aren't doing anything but blowing hot air.

With this post I write my last comment on this board, almost 3 years after I posted my first comment here.

•  I (4.00)
        I was in three hurricanes last year and I can raise you a week and half without power. And speaking for myself, I'm intensely interested in Bush's poll numbers at all times and particuloarly right now. Because the more they go down the more we can help people out of this mess and avoid the next one down the road. Whereas the more they stay steady or spike the greater damage he can do to the next state or town or family he gambles into the sewer or Iraq and stuffs into his buddies pockets.

Read UTI, your free thought forum

by DarkSyde on Wed Aug 31, 2005 at 11:38:58 PM PDT

•  Try to Remember Where You Are (none)
        dKos is not a general purpose on-line community. It is a political one, and one that is primarily concerned with getting Democrats elected.

We can care about, post about, and contribute to helping, the people who have suffered from this disaster, and still consider the political angle.

Regarding "No one effected gives a damn about which politician was to blame", I am 100% sure that you are wrong about that. A lot of people affected want to know how the government could be so unprepared for an event that was known to be a potential disaster.

This is CLASS WAR, and the other side is winning.

by Mr X on Thu Sep 01, 2005 at 05:24:15 AM PDT

•  $$$ For Levees (none)
        All Politics is local, and arBusto raped FEMA, for a morph into HS, and denied funding to Army Corps of Engineers- http://tinyurl.com/bsttp

I understand your disgust, but I think you have fear-laden tunnel vision.

Expose the liars and the cheats, and you just might save future victims, that could include yourself.

Leaving an open conversant community is not the answer.

Stand up, and fight, or tune into NPR and be pacified.

Your choice; goodwill to you-

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people... it is true that most stupid people are conservative -Jon Stuart Mill-

by RF on Thu Sep 01, 2005 at 05:24:36 AM PDT

•  I give one. (none)
        "Of shit the fuck up - because you aren't doing anything but blowing hot air."

I really haven't been keeping track, is fladem for real or somebody's talking-point tool?

OK, I looked up his most recent posts, May 5, December 4, Oct 24. Oct 14, and he writes like a democrat.

So that implies this really is an emotional issue and not just a thug smokescreen.

Myself, if I was delivering 1000 meals to a refugee camp that had 5000 people in it, I'd want to mention that we were doing the best we could but the funding got cut and the helicopters are in iraq. It would be worth mentioning, something people would be interested in.

I can see people getting bothered that there could be a few democrat strategists as heartless as the average republican strategist, who think about how to limit the damage republicans can do to them when they could be spending 100% of their effort helping people. I'm not sure what to do about that.

Like, we could start a campaign to donate all existing democratic campaign contributions and all paid democratic salaries to disaster relief. We could do our part to make up for the money the republicans cut from the budget. But....

It looks like a real true issue that I have no idea what to do about. Things like this could turn into important republican talking points. And yet somehow Little Green Footballs doesn't seem to hurt the repubicans at all.

•  NO! this is a FAILURE! (none)
        This FAILURE is too enormous to strike when the iron has gone cold.

Rove is already trying to tell the story

why can't we?

because YOU are pissed? redirect! not at me!

For the record, I've given, and I did it BEFORE I opened by YAP.

aside from that, i'm 2,400 miles from there.

tell me how to be more useful, oh arbiter of truth.

check your attitude!

by mdhatter on Thu Sep 01, 2005 at 09:56:09 AM PDT

•  Only if..... (none)
      I think his poll numbers may spike if he's allowed to play CiC and get away with it.  Democrats need to start getting on his ass...about a lack of national guard troops, about not putting price caps on gasoline right now, about cutting budgets for disaster relief and prevention...

He will get away with this if Democrats allow him too.....and based on past experience they probably will.

• Recommended (145)
  • Labor (25)
  • Climate Change (25)
  • Education (24)
  • Civil Rights (23)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • GOP (22)
  • Hillary Clinton (21)
  • Science (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site