View Diary: Texas OK's Death Penalty for Abortion Providers (348 comments)

•  You know... (4.00)
    that isn't a bad idea. Let's make it illegal to masturbate....anyone who gets caught loses it. I mean, afterall, sperm have the capacity to create life...and wasting them is a sin in God's eyes...

maybe when that's illegal people will actually wake up and realize that religion doesn't belong in government.

•  It was a OT sin (4.00)
      punishable by stoning. It was the "sin of Onan", named for Onan who was caught as he "spilled his seed upon the ground". The Son's of Abraham were badley outnumbered in thier "new land".

We are all wearing the blue dress now.

by PLS on Sun Sep 11, 2005 at 04:31:49 PM PDT

•  No it wasn't (3.75)
        The "sin of Onan" was spilling his seed, but it wasn't because he masturbated.  It was because he pulled out.

Incidentally, he pulled out because he was fucking his dead brother's wife, and didn't want to get her pregnant.  Invisible Superman in the Sky seems not to have had any problem with the "fucking his dead brother's wife" part, just the "pulling out" part.

-- E pur si muove.

by asdfasdf on Sun Sep 11, 2005 at 05:39:35 PM PDT

•  I get my old testament knowledge (4.00)
          from The Brick Testament so I won't swear by this, but I think it's okay to be fucking your dead brother's wife because the bible says you are obligated to marry her -- hence, fucking her would be the thing to do.

I Am The King Of The Eleven Comment Diary

by CalbraithRodgers on Sun Sep 11, 2005 at 05:53:12 PM PDT

•  I really think I need to sit down (none)
            next summer and read the Bible from cover to cover. Seriously...these are some VERY disturbing stories! And THIS is the book people are supposed to live by?!? Fucking the dead and stoning people to death...not for fucking the dead, but for "spilling the seed"??

EW!

•  Just so you understand (4.00)
              at least as much as I think I do, it's not necrophilia.  The rule is, if your brother dies and he has a wife, you are obligated to marry her.  Now I am way over my depth here (like I said my knowledge comes from a lego/bible humor site) so don't take my words as gospel.  I'm just an ex-catholic athiest. :-)

This is obviously a rule for men.  I think the rules for women are best summed up as "find a man and cleave unto him."  In this context, cleave means shut up and get him a beer when he is thirsty.

Religious people, please feel free to correct my misconceptions.

I Am The King Of The Eleven Comment Diary

by CalbraithRodgers on Sun Sep 11, 2005 at 07:36:04 PM PDT

•  whew... (none)
                okay. I think I just misread that. Thanks for the explanation:)
                •  Careful Elise (none)
                  People have been butchering each other in Europe for Centuries because some one just happened to misunderstand the "Good Book".
                  Shit we really miss a bit of Burning at the Stake here in Europe or a good old stoning on a Saturday. That would give Texas a real Tourist Boost, who the fuck would want to go to see the Alamo when we could see somebody getting torched, great faimly fun.

I'm usually drunk at this time of Day.

by madbernie on Mon Sep 12, 2005 at 03:26:19 AM PDT

•  gawd, i love the.... (none)
                ....lego/bible site.

you're pretty funny too...

There are many who lust for the simple answers of doctrine or decree. They are on the left and right. They are terrorists of the mind. -- A. Bartlett Giamatti

by FemiNazi on Mon Sep 12, 2005 at 02:13:08 AM PDT

•  Levirate Marriage (none)
              I think what you guys are talking about is Levirate marriage. Here's the definition in a nutshell:
              "The practice of marrying the widow of one's childless brother to maintain his line, as required by ancient Hebrew law."

Elise - I recommend that rather than sitting down and reading the bible cover to cover, way better to read the following books:
              "Who Wrote the Bible"; "Who Wrote the New Testament" ;"The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity"; and "Harlot by the Side of the Road."

George Bush is an unnatural disaster.

by michele2 on Mon Sep 12, 2005 at 07:12:03 AM PDT

•  My older brother is married to a (none)
            fucking monster if I lived in that era I'd pray night and day that he'd out live me !

I'm usually drunk at this time of Day.

by madbernie on Mon Sep 12, 2005 at 12:49:49 AM PDT

•  Objectivication was the crime Onan committed (4.00)
          Onan had a brother.  His brother died, leaving a widow and no children.  Consequently, Onan obligated to impregnate the widow.

Why?  So that she would have some children to take care of her in her old age — specifically male children.  If she already had one or more sons, he would not have had the obligation.  This was a serious obligation because:

• there was no strong government to provide assistance
          • the mortality rate among children was high
          • people who were able to keep themselves out of poverty (i.e. they were essentially self-sufficient / subsistence workers) often became impoverished as they got older and more disease prone
          • widows were especially at risk — and at an earlier age — since most everyone else was a subsistence worker (i.e. had very little to share)

Failure to assist his brother's widow in having children was at least condeming her to poverty in the future, likely the immediate future.  Given this would lead to her death, ignoring / refusing this obligation was tantamount to murder.  Onan wanted to keep up appearances, so he agreed to have intercourse with the widow.

His sin was that he used the widow for his own personal pleasure — instead of fulfiling the obligation he agreed to take on.