View Diary: A Baucus Betrayal (433 comments)

•  Timing is everything (none)
    It would be one thing if he was serving the interests of his state, but the timing of this move is jackassery.

Anyone who voted against the patriot act is too good for the Senate

Feingold for President

by Goldfish on Tue Sep 20, 2005 at 06:46:39 PM PDT

•  I agree. (none)
      But you can't kick him out for timing. He's got the same right to the use of the clock as anyone.
      •  I'm not saying (4.00)
        We should kick him out. Because doing that would likely mean we'd have one more Senate seat with an R after it.

That said, I think this guy needs to get his chain yanked a little.

Anyone who voted against the patriot act is too good for the Senate

Feingold for President

by Goldfish on Tue Sep 20, 2005 at 06:59:32 PM PDT

•  Oh, I can kick him (none)
        But probably nowhere it hurts enough. Baucus rarely if ever does anything for the state or national party. I still haven't forgiven him for deliberately scheduling his fundraisers on the same nights as Representative's Pat Williams (D-MT) back in the 1980s.

Governor Brian Schweitzer on seeking the presidency; "I'm not half that smart and I'm none too pretty."

by Ed in Montana on Tue Sep 20, 2005 at 08:14:42 PM PDT

•  Beyond timing (none)
      He should have kept his damn mouth shut.  What was he hoping to gain?  If he's secure in Montana, then not currying favor there.  So, what exactly was his goal?
      •  Another good point (none)
        This is a slap in the face to the Democratic party, and Harry Reid in particuler, and I can honestly not see what the pay-off is.

What a jerkstore.

Anyone who voted against the patriot act is too good for the Senate

Feingold for President

by Goldfish on Tue Sep 20, 2005 at 07:06:55 PM PDT

•  I don't know. (none)
        But when the Democratic Leader comes out with his position, you start getting calls asking for yours.

So he gave it.

I think he should have waited a for Friday. But he didn't.

But what do you do if you're paid as a Senator to make your positions known, and people start asking what's up, now that the Leader has come out? Hide?

•  Actually, this will play well (none)
        in Montana. Bucking the party, on either side, is smart Montana politics, has been for some time (though been a while since Burns has bothered).

Not that I'm excusing the spineless wonder (see my post downthread), but Montana politics don't exactly leave much room for anyone to the left of ... um, well, to the left of Max Baucus.

My bet: the White House, or Frist, called up Max, asks him for a favor, and he says yes. Been done before, probably'll be done again.

Baucus is not worthy of the spit we're spraying on this. Most. Pathetic. Senator. Ever. (Of. Either. Party.)

I am the federal government.

by mateosf on Tue Sep 20, 2005 at 07:21:12 PM PDT

•  Surely you jest (none)
          When he starts kissing Bush on the cheek, then we can talk.
          •  Baucus has kissed Bush (none)
            On the butt for years, ever since voting for Dubya's tax cuts for the rich back in the first term. Max even featured Bush on his senatorial website for gads sake.

Now I know he can't be a raving Ted Kennedy in Montana, but he doesn't have to be a disgrace to the party either.

by Ed in Montana on Tue Sep 20, 2005 at 08:32:53 PM PDT

•  Tax cuts (none)
              Those were going to get passed no matter what, and while it wasn't exactly pleasant to see Baucus support them, he did play an important role in making them suck less than they could have. As much as it was painful to watch, what he did there may have made things turn out better than they would have with just a no vote.
              •  Can you say "medicare reform"? (none)
                Even the WSJ (see link above) lambasted Baucus over that vote. Inexcusable. And would not have passed "no matter what" - that was some serious arm-twisting, not just in the House.

I am the federal government.

by mateosf on Tue Sep 20, 2005 at 10:12:08 PM PDT