View Diary: URGENT - HURRICANE RITA NOW CATASTROPHIC CAT 5 HURRICANE (334 comments)

•  Hurricanes (none)
    seem to hit primarily red states. Interesting that the religious right, who claim that these hurricanes are God's work, still blame the liberals for causing such wrath.

If only Republicans cared for their country as much as they care about their image

by jeffwass on Wed Sep 21, 2005 at 01:12:19 PM PDT

•  I'm not sure (4.00)
      how these comments are much different than evangelical comments about Katrina and New Orleans.  For pure snark value, they've multiplied to such a numbing level that they aren't really effective.

I don't want a hurricane to hit Crawford, Galveston, or anywhere else and I'm surely not going to blame/thank god, karma, gaia, or any other supersitious hoodoo.

I say this as an Arkansan, and we're bound by law to hate Texas -- but not to the point of wanting Big Bad Karma to huff and puff and blow their houses down.

I was reading Steve Gilliard and he had a post about wingnut bloggers and some of the crass comments they made before Katrina -- and that they lived to regret them.  Let's please not make the same mistake.

Cheers.

"What is it, George? It's the stem cells -- I hear their little cries!" -- Doonesbury

by Myrrander on Wed Sep 21, 2005 at 01:28:56 PM PDT

•  Hey, thanks1 (4.00)
        I'm Texan but I don't hate Arkansas.  Am I supposed to?

The Christian Right is neither Witness Every Day

by TXsharon on Wed Sep 21, 2005 at 01:43:05 PM PDT

•  Haha (none)
          No, see, it's all about the inferiority complex.  UT has owned Arkansas at football for so long, we have to hate your state.  ;)

Seriously, I don't hate Texas at all, and I don't believe the sky fairies are trying to smash up the state that gave us Bush.

I understand that those sorts of comments are made to be funny, and I'm not trying to harsh anybody's mellow or nothin' but it just seems to be a bit out of place.

by Myrrander on Wed Sep 21, 2005 at 01:48:13 PM PDT

•  Everybody hates Texas.... (none)
          ...so it's only fair that you get to hate Arkansas.  Hell, you might as well hate Oklahoma, too, while you're at it.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H. L. Mencken

by roxtar on Wed Sep 21, 2005 at 02:31:38 PM PDT

•  Late? (none)
        I didn't get your reply until now, so chances are slim you'll get to read this, but I think you're misreading my comment. I am in no way wanting any hurricane to hit anywhere, and franky I'm somewhat offended that you inferred that sentiment from my comment.

My point was ONLY meant as a sarcastic interpretation of what Robertson and his fundamentalist ilk have been claiming regarding these hurricanes as God's punishment.

by jeffwass on Sat Sep 24, 2005 at 04:44:42 PM PDT

•  Let's just agree that calling... (none)
      natural disasters "God's will" is the domain of Pat Robertson and that the left should stay away from that.  I'm in Dallas, and our traditional rivalry with that smelly, sprawling wasteland called Houston  immediately goes away when they're under attack.  Let's turn our hopes and (if so inclined) prayers to those people in the way of Rita.

Our country is under attack.  Mother Nature will pay for this.

<snark>