View Diary: ALERT! RITA to make landfall Saturday Morning (161 comments)

•  Is it wrong of me... (4.00)
    To think that these two storms, Rita and Katrina, are beautiful?

The imaging of these storms has been a wonder.  When both were at thier full blow Cat 5 stage, I think they are the two most regular, cleanly structured storms I've ever seen.  From the sharp delination of the eye wall, to the clearly defined "stadium effect," to the sharp edges of the feeder bands, these two could serve as type specimens.

•  The idea of terrible beauty (4.00)
      is what made the Romantics use the word "sublime".
    •  Absolutely. (4.00)
      The power of nature is beautifully terrible.
    •  I hear you (4.00)
      I've been fascinated by the development of each of them - so stunning and awesome. Although the consequences are dire, it's still an absolute marvel to me to live in a world where phenomena like these exist. Our planet is so utterly beautiful, the forces of its nature are awe inspiring.

I'm also blown away by the research community, being able to capture valuable images and data and turn them into such productive public tools... The whole thing is so impressive to me.

Viva science!

•  I agree.... (4.00)
        ...nature is very beautiful in all of her subtlties, from storms, to creatures great and small, mountains, auroras, and to me, even in the way the intricate little machines inside our cells go about their daily tasks to keep us alive.  The complexity is staggering, but wonderous to watch..

On a related note, if you really like symmetry, check out this link to the National Institute of General Medical Services' protein structure image gallery.  Most of these are recently solved structures of bacterial enzymes and so forth, but it's amazing at the symmetry and beauty of some of these proteins.  One of the coolest things I've ever seen are the cryoelecron micrographs of viral capsids.  Talk about near-perfect symmetry!

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

by viget on Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 01:33:08 PM PDT

•  I remember thinking (none)
        "How beautiful"

When Schumaker-Levy pounded Jupiter, leaving holes the size of Earth in the Jovian atmosphere... and thinking, at the same time...

"How terrible..."

Awe-full, indeed.

"Too many policemen, no liberty; Too many soldiers, no peace; Too many lawyers, no justice." Lin Yutang (1895-1976)

by ogre on Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 07:38:50 PM PDT

•  I don't think so... (4.00)
      ...many on wuderground have commented on the awe-inspiring beauty of the Cat 5 storm.  It is sad to think that something so "perfectly formed," so wonderous in its appearance could be so terribly destructive.  Just goes to show you, beauty is only skin-deep (or cloud-deep).

It still marvels me that at the center of a destructive, whirling mess is an area of calm so sublime and peaceful.  Even the hurricane hunters are awed, they were commenting on the impressive stadium effect Wednesday night, with the moon overhead.   Must have been quite a sight, kind of reminds me of that scene in Matrix Revolutions when Trin and Neo punch through the scorched-cloud layer in the Logos to see the sun for the first time-ever, only to crash land in machine-land later.

by viget on Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 01:14:17 PM PDT

•  A Gulf hurricane (none)
        is beautiful in the same way a Siberian tiger is beautiful. Storms and tigers have no malice -- they are each part of a complex system that has developed and determined their behavior over millions (billions) of years.

And neither is dangerous if respected. Arrogance is a uniquely human trait.

-- "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppression...will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day." -- Thomas Jefferson

by Todd Johnston on Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 02:35:01 PM PDT

•  They ARE beautiful (none)
      just dangerous

"If you're going through hell, keep going". -Winston Churchill

by One bite at a time on Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 01:18:10 PM PDT

•  I think that ... (none)
      ... about tornadoes. To me, there is absolutely no more beautiful weather --- greens become even more intensely green, yellow fields become even yellower, the colors of the sky OMG --- and the silence, the quiet before the storm! Wow.

So, I can absolutely see how someone could think a hurricane is beautiful.

•  Nothing Wrong (none)
      There is something awe-inspiring about them, especially the way they seem to take on a life of their own, like some extraordinary beast out to wreak vengeance on the rest of nature.

"L'enfer, c'est les autres." - Jean Paul Sartre, Huis Clos

"L'enfer, c'est le GOP!" - JJB, from an idea by oratorio

by JJB on Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 01:21:35 PM PDT

•  Purdy pictures (none)
      Are located here.

"Multi-Dimensional Imagery from polar orbiting and geostationary satellites operated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration-NOAA."

Translation: 3-D pictures that make great desktop wallpaper. Check out the "higher resolution" view.

They have pictures of every major storm. I've got one of Katrina on my computer right now.

This site has been going down a lot in the past couple of days, so bookmark if they aren't there. It's worth it.

•  pictures (none)
      I just posted a diary with pictures taken as Katrina rolled into Mississippi - thought I'd respond to your comment visually - here's the link:

George Bush is an unnatural disaster.

by michele2 on Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 02:10:27 PM PDT

•  oops (none)
        forget it - apparently those pics were storm photos but nothing to do with Katrina.

Sorry - one day I'll learn that even friends send things that you should check on Snopes!!! GAH!

George Bush is an unnatural disaster.

by michele2 on Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 02:30:15 PM PDT

•  Where did it go? (none)
        I saw those pictures and they were amazing. I wanted to show someone else and suddenly the diary was gone as fast as it appeared.

And even while men pursue their doom, a magical child is kicking in the womb. - Mike Scott, "Good News"

by Max Wyvern on Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 02:31:18 PM PDT

•  mother's rage (none)
      is beautiful.

it shows us that she loves us, even as she looses her fury against us.

"This is for your own good.  My children, you don't listen to me, and I've warned you over and over again.  Now, you'll just have to touch the stove to see how hot it is.  Perhaps next time, you'll listen to me."

The storms are a marvel of beauty, of geometry, of science.  The very sight of them inspires awe and wonder.  It's supposed to be that way.  Humbling.  Educational.  You can't control this.  You shouldn't try.

Mother will always win.

The Global Struggle against Violent Extremism begins at home!

by JLongs on Fri Sep 23, 2005 at 02:15:03 PM PDT

•  type specimen (none)
      Basionym:  Hurricanus horridulus L.

• Recommended (143)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Rescued (19)
  • Health Care (18)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (17)
  • Freddie Gray (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site