View Diary: Why I Was Smiling and Hurricane (296 comments)

•  Not true (3.07)
    MLK Jr. never did that. Alice Paul never did that. Gandhi never did that. And I am just as against this war in Iraq as you and everyone else here is, including Ms. Sheehan. Her smiling and acting like she was in a mosh pit had an effect on me when I saw the picture. It reminded me of Bush's smirk, and it turned me off, and I am more than entitled to that opinion here as well.

This isn't about having fun, this is about bringing a message to Americans that this war  is unconstitutional and needs to end. Is it not? Even the police in the picture were not using any sort of force on Ms. Sheehan from what I could see, and it looked contrived. And you better believe that matters, since Ms. Sheehan has decided that 24/7 media coverage is what she wanted. It may not have been contrived, but the perception it gave in my view was not good.

And FYI, I KNOW for sure that I don't have hate in my heart nor do I support this war. And when I see Bush in handcuffs and he and his cohorts are no longer squatting in this White House turning this country into a Fascist theocracy, then I will smile as well. As long as he is there and allowed to get away with his BS, however, I will continue to voice my opinions on what I think is or is not working in that vein as long as it is in the mainstream media, and something that effects my life as well.
    Thank you very much.

"No matter how hard the loss, defeat might serve as well as victory to shake the soul and let the glory out." Al Gore

by Patriot for Al Gore on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 11:39:49 AM PDT

•  P.A.G. (4.00)
      I thought she had a lovely smile.

There is nothing more stimulating than a case where everything goes against you. -- Sherlock Holmes

by Carnacki on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 11:57:35 AM PDT

•  Seconded ... (4.00)
      Cindy's smile is nothing like the chimp-smirk that is all too often plastered over the face of the Cowboy-in-Chief. Preznit "Sippin' Whiskey" indeed!!

'Beatific' is the word that comes to mind.

Hugs & kisses to you, Cindy!!

•  I didn't see the picture, (4.00)
      but if she felt lifted up with joy at that moment, I'm not going to argue.

It seems like your comment implies that the police should have been using force.  You can be arrested without the use of force, you know?  And of course they were aware that the press was there taking pictures and reporting.  They're not going to go in with batons swinging.

And FWIW, the kinds of criticisms you are leveling against her, people leveled against Martin Luther King, Jr.  Those and worse, and the same kind of dismissive, "he's not for real, he's just putting on a show for attention" stuff.

•  her smile..... (4.00)
      didn't bother me.  I don't know how you could criticize anyone for GENUINE emotion.  There are things to smile about.

My local newspaper, The Daily Oklahoman, known for its conservative editorial page, ran a decent sized photo of Cindy's arrest under a headline that spanned the top of an inside page devoted to national news that said "Protesters march in US; three soldiers die in Iraq".

Increasingly, this is being covered at all levels of the media.  And if you look at poll results, the people seem to be "getting it".

•  what have you done lately P.A. T. (3.00)
      to help stop the war besides tap on a keyboard?

by ctkeith on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 12:26:50 PM PDT

•  This is not a troll comment nor (3.37)
        is it unproductive!  It is a legitimate question.

If P.A.T. only complains and cannot provide some solutions, then he is part of the problem.

Have a 4.

The Christian Right is neither Witness Every Day

by TXsharon on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 01:19:46 PM PDT

•  P F A G HAS a problem is more like it (3.33)
          "bush is killing hundreds of innocent people in Iraq, but Cindy Sheehan smirks just like bush, so I don't support her"

Patriot for Al Gore is a FUCKING IDIOT

he has no ability to entertain an idea in his head

he just goes with his gut reaction to ANY visual stimuli, with no thought of any underlying facts

Patriot For Al Gore epitamizes what is wrong with America

"sure George smirks, but a lot of people smirk, so what's the point"

What a fucking Moroon

•  Sounds like (4.00)
          congressional republicans "if democrats can't provide us with the answers to our failed policies then they are part of the problem." gimmie a break. If a person of the same political stripe can't even ask a valid question, how the hell are we going to have a proper discourse with people who think totally differently without coming off as partisan hacks?
        •  Read my diaries... (none)
          They tell what I am doing. I also don't broadcast all I do for all to read here. I'm not an ego freak. Not that you really care what I or anyone else here is doing. You only hope I get troll rated here because I didn't bow down to Cindy Sheehan 's tactics while getting arrested. Well, too bad. I know what civil disobedience is, and again, Martin Luther King Jr. was a man of sincerity and conviction who never did what she did in that photograph. He kept his dignity and he stayed on message and he DID inspire me and still does. So go ahead, just assume that I and others aren't doing anything because I dared to comment on ONE photograph. It is typical of the clique mentality here. Oh, and I also don't HAVE TO support Cindy Sheehan in all she does or anyone else for that matter to be against this war and do what I can to help stop it. I worked my ASS off to see HR 375 tabled by only ONE vote. You dare to ask what I am doing? What the hell does that even have to do with making an honest comment about a picture?

by Patriot for Al Gore on Wed Sep 28, 2005 at 09:59:25 AM PDT

•  You have gone way overboard on this (none)
            for one little smile.

I really don't care how you get rated.  My only lament is that you have Al Gore's name as part of your user name.  He doesn't deserve that.

The Christian Right is neither Witness Every Day

by TXsharon on Wed Sep 28, 2005 at 11:15:43 AM PDT

•  If you don't care (none)
              Then don't reply to me. And as far as Al Gore deserving my support, that has nothing to do with this. There is no doubt of my support for him. And at least he tolerates anf is respectful of difering perceptions and opinions. For you to use that support just tog et in a dig is  really low. I'm not the one who made anything outof this. I made ONE comment that you and others jumped on. Don't then expect that it won;t be responded to. I sure hope it is over now.

by Patriot for Al Gore on Wed Sep 28, 2005 at 11:22:17 AM PDT

•  Patriot for Al Gore said...... (4.00)

Maybe she was smiling because she realized that she had just taken one step towards that end? Think so?

There isn't anything that Cindy could do or not do, say or not say, that won't be twisted around against her.

Reality is that which, once you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. -- Philip K. Dick

by brenda on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 12:48:02 PM PDT

•  WHAT STEP? (2.50)

by Patriot for Al Gore on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 12:51:50 PM PDT

•  the one in the blockquote (4.00)
          Getting arrested is one more step towards that goal.

by brenda on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 01:00:45 PM PDT

•  Towards impeachment? (none)
            Please try to make me understand how that will lead to theouster of these people who were allowed to stay ther for five years already. From where I'm sitting, it doesn't look like they are leaving the Middle East anytime soon.

by Patriot for Al Gore on Wed Sep 28, 2005 at 10:15:04 AM PDT

•  How could she not be smiling????? (none)
          She had been overshadowed by Rita, and when they picked her up to arrest her, they put her back on the spotlite. Aside from that, those that were chanting "the world is watching"were right : The world was watching. That would pull a smile from me too.

Well done Cindy!!!

If you want me to go back to the place I was born , tell your corporations to leave my country (Leon Gieco)

by cruz del sur on Wed Sep 28, 2005 at 05:23:32 AM PDT

•  I got the sense that (none)
        Cindy was smiling because it had finally come to this, a moment of high drama- physical confrontation in front of the White House- and it was a moment of great relief for her.

Also, people react to physical confrontation in different ways- some get angry, some get scared, and some, like Cindy, see the absurdity of violence and laugh.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world- Mahatma Gandhi

by limaike on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 09:56:35 PM PDT

•  And please DO troll rate this... (3.00)
      Because God forbid anyone see a viewpoint from an honest American that doesn't kiss ass here.  The level of my outrage towards Bush is so that I yes, am getting VERY tired of all of these tactics on both sides. This isn't about just "ruffling the feathers of the right" and being able to say "take that Karl"(what the hell kind of baloney is that anyway?) The man should be in handcuffs for being a TRAITOR, not being called "Karl" as if this is just a schoolyard fight.

This is about actually for once DOING SOMETHING CONCRETE to see them indicted for crimes against humanity along with the dictators and terrorists they propepd up. Why someone who wants that and gives an opinion on what they saw as something  that hurts that cause is trashed, just shows the "clique" mentality here.

I feel for Ms. Sheehan in her loss, ( as I feel for ALL those who lost children, husbands, brothers, fatehrs, lovers, etc. even those who are for this war, becasue I know they too have mourned) and as a mattter of fact, as a member of After Downing Street, I contacted Texas TV stations to tell them she was going to Crawford, because I truly was under the impression something was going to come out of it. I also became a member of After Downing Street early on because I want to see impeachment like so many others and wanted to get the word out about the Downing Street Memo, which curiously we NEVER even hear about anymore.

I lobbied for passage of HR 375 tirelessly, and was so disappointed to see it voted down by only one vote. But I too am gratified in a way that because of the efforts of so many, it was only ONE VOTE. But hell, don't give a shit about that and all the other people out here working behind the scenes to do something about these people. Trash an American for giving an honest opinion about a picture that eid give the impression I described, BECAUSE I give a damn about the results. An opposing opinion is also not unproductive if it brings out a valid reason for why someone feels the way they do in a civl adult manner. People who use this rating system just to piss on someone for the hell of it in my opinion are just being childish, and in this case doesn't change my opinion one bit.

by Patriot for Al Gore on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 12:50:23 PM PDT

•  Geez, relax! (4.00)
        Nobody troll rated you and then you post a second rant about being troll rated when it didn't happen? Are you okay? What's up with that? And what's up with complaining about what Cindy's doing?

We each just need to actively do something.  It's not up to each of us to tell one another what that something is, other than making suggestions or asking for help if help is needed.

Much ado...

"Bush should've hired Fed-Ex. They know when it has to be there overnight."

by MissAnneThrope on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 01:00:57 PM PDT

•  It's happened before (none)
          That's why I posted that "pre-emptive" reply. Perhaps some of you then need to calm down. The way ones go flying here just because someone doesn't agree with you is astounding. So don't wonder why you got them back, since that seems to be the only reason why some seem to come here. I explained why I thought smiling in that photograph was hurtful to her cause. Perhaps if some who jump to insulting right away realized that different people have different perceptions, they might be able to respond more intelligently themselves. It doesn't make me an asshat, a fucking idiot, a troll, a RWer, a traitor, or any other assorted name some here pull out only when they have nothing else to counter with. My opinion was valid, and all the ones and insults won't change that.

by Patriot for Al Gore on Wed Sep 28, 2005 at 10:12:28 AM PDT

•  rated unproductive (3.77)
        for this:

This isn't about you dear, chill, kay?

by brenda on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 01:04:23 PM PDT

•  Might I suggest... (3.20)
        ...decaf?
      •  PAG (2.16)
        you've shown yourself to be a complete asshat countless times throughout this site. that, and you're batshit loopy.

you. should. calm. down. you've got enough nervous energy to give a horse electro-convulsive therapy via a vulcan mind meld.

so tell me, PAG, how's that research coming on the secret right wing plan to create hurricanes? we'd better get Batman on that one.

Do it GREEN, know what I mean?

by SonofFunk on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 04:28:44 PM PDT

•  PAG (3.00)
        I see where you're coming from and I agree.
      •  God, you are (2.50)
        an insufferable jackass, Mr. "patriot For Al Gore"
    •  Please tell me (4.00)
      how many peace rallies have you attended this year.

The Christian Right is neither Witness Every Day

by TXsharon on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 01:13:05 PM PDT

•  After you tell me... (none)
        What that even has to do with me as a member of this community giving an opinion of a photograph that was in the mainstream media and diaried about in this public forum for anyone to respond to.If Ms. Sheehan felt there was no reason to explain nor apologize for her smiling then, then why was this diary posted at all? Know why? Because I wasn't the only one concerned about the perception it gave. Again, perhaps you need to stop taking comments so "personally" yourself, and realize that others like myself are giving these opinions based on our perceptions and comparing them to others like MLK whom I never saw smile like that when he was arrested. But then, he also did some serious jail time as well as receive beatings while in jail. He truly suffered for his convictions, and I don't recall him ever saying he was having "fun." Again, to me this isn't something to be having "fun" about. Ms Sheehan admitted in this diary that she was having "fun." I simply expected to see something much different based on what I saw in Crawford. So f**** shoot me for having an opinion. Or better yet, you can just blast me with your ratings blaster again. That'll show me.

by Patriot for Al Gore on Wed Sep 28, 2005 at 10:46:07 AM PDT

•  As i understand it... (4.00)
      ...from the early first-hand accounts, the crowd was loudly chanting "The world is watching" as they forcibly removed her from the sidewalk.  That kind of unity and support would put a smile on my face, too, no matter what I'd been through the past year and a half.
    •  Hmmm. (4.00)
      "MLK Jr. never did that. Alice Paul never did that. Gandhi never did that."

But perhaps Jesus did. And I'm not so sure you're right about Ghandi either. It's hard to have love in your heart without a smile on your face.

The only way for a society to "win" is for each of its members to be true to themselves. Cindy Sheehan's lack of pretense or political correctness is her one true defense against the world's greatest smear machine.

As long as the things she says and does are honest, decent and real, she is doing precisely what needs to be done, the only way it can be done.

I need to steal a good sig.

by John West on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 01:26:28 PM PDT

•  One would expect (4.00)
      a Bush supporter to lie low, trying to catch Cindy in a gotcha moment (or maybe creating one). But come on. Do we - people on Cindy's side - have to engage in those sorts of attacks too?

Maybe her smile was less than the best thing, politically speaking. But one of the most appealing things about Cindy is her humanness. She is not polished and professional. She is not perfect. She is not a hero, angel, or saint. She is human. And humans make mistakes (or sometimes smile when those sitting in judgment think they ought not).

So I say cut her some slack. Rejoice in the fact her darkness has lifted to the point that she can wonder if the world is looking at her underwear!

Go Cindy!

You're the best.

•  When you get arrested... (3.77)
      You can show us how it's done.

I'm so metal I have the unlisted Number of the Beast.

by MjrMjr on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 03:57:12 PM PDT

•  the power of a smile (4.00)
      Oh, nothing fills the opposition with impotent rage like beaming joy and gladness at them.
      During the march when we came upon the knot of counter-protesters, I strolled in front of them, looking each and every one of them in the eye, and gave them the full Julia Roberts two-row grin accompanied by peace signs.  It made them freaking apopleptic.
      They expect dour and earnest.  Pull the rug out from under'em and show them some joy.  It really pisses them off!

When nothing is true, everything is permitted.

by lefticia on Tue Sep 27, 2005 at 05:55:59 PM PDT

•  Well... I don't entirely agree with ya here... (none)
      ... but love ya anyway dude. :)
    •  Absolute bullshit, partriot (none)
      I had the privilage of working with Dr. King in Memphis before his assassination. Protest and change are not about dour, puritanical manning of the barricades; it's about the joy of knowing that people can come together to make a difference.

So lighten up. Somewhere between one and three hundred thousand people joined Cindy to protest the illegal and futile war that took her son. Isn't that reason to smile?