View Diary: The shittiest diary ever (an open letter to Raybin) (162 comments)

•  Most impressive (4.00)
    My dad worked nearly 40 years as a signalman on the Milwaukee Road/Soo Line and when I was a teenager I tagged along with him every chance I got. I wanted to work on the railroad but that was not an option for my siblings and me. So I wound up as a college professor instead.

Since I lack the time, the space, the money, and the talent to have a model railroad, I chase around the "bad" part of town (I'm actually quite fond of it myself) taking roster shots of locomotives that pass through town. Or at least I did before we adopted the puppies; our little guy would be glad to go along for the ride, but our Princess gets carsick.

BTW, nice signature file. The first words of my dissertation were a quote from the immortal Ms. Parker:

If, with the literate I am
    Compelled to try an epigram,
    I never seek to take the credit;
    We all assume that Oscar said it.

...and shit yeah it's cool And shouldn't it be - or something like that. - Robert Pollard

by gp39m on Sun Oct 02, 2005 at 09:29:48 PM PDT

•  Oscar (none)
      If I could go back in time and have a conversation with any person, I think Oscar would be my number one choice.  I've read all of his works, even the lesser known plays (Vera, Duchess of Padua).

OK, Milwaukee Road.  One of the Canton Railroad's locomotives came from there.  That RR is on the northeast part of the B'more harbor, and I've taken some pictures there too, not just of the railroad, but of all the cool industrial relics in that part of town.

"I wish I could drink like a lady; I can take one or two at the most; Three and I'm under the table; Four and I'm under the host" -- Dorothy Parker

by asskicking annie on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 09:52:32 AM PDT

•  Positively dazzled (none)
        I'd probably pick Aristophanes because 1) he had a receding hairline too, 2) he's the funniest bastard who ever lived, and 3) some say I have no life.

by gp39m on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 10:52:46 AM PDT

•  SD9? (none)

by asskicking annie on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 05:10:47 PM PDT

•  Yup. (none)
            Love 'em... almost as much as the engineers do. I drove nearly two hours round trip to get that shot of 6106, and got to my 10:00 class three minutes to the good.

by gp39m on Mon Oct 03, 2005 at 05:22:42 PM PDT

•  Sigh (none)
              They're (SD9s) pretty much gone from all the big eastern railroads.  NS might still have a couple.

My boyfriend also enjoys taking rail pictures, so if we're roadtripping anywhere near rail action, we'll stop if we have time.  I'm not nearly the photographer he is, but I'm definitely getting better with practice.

by asskicking annie on Tue Oct 04, 2005 at 08:43:13 PM PDT