View Diary: The waning influence of the NYT Times columnists (202 comments)

•  Tierney may not be 100 % flatline (4.00)
    He might actually generate strong negative numbers from time to time and has probably led to a few subscriptions being cancelled altogether.

Tierney is probably the single worst columnist I can ever remember at the Times, and yes, that includes Abe Rosenthal.

The Book of Revelation is NOT a foreign policy manual.

by Dont Just Stand There on Tue Oct 11, 2005 at 12:47:49 PM PDT

•  True Enough (none)
      At least Brooks is occasionally rational enough that I don't want to smash my head against the wall.  Tierney is willfully obtuse and invariably allows his ideology to override empirical observation (just like the Repulicans in government he so admires).  Basically, he's a Beltway wannabe who hungers to hang out with the power crowd, but it's doubtful that they'll ever really be interested in spending time with him.  They'll use him to suit their needs from time to time and then dispose of him when he's no longer useful.

And why did you have to go remind us all of Abe Rosenthal, whose columns were embarrassing to the extreme, especially his last few years on the job?

•  You must have a short memory (none)
      True, Tierney is a simpleton as his column today demonstrates. But so is Brooks. True, he is lazy, but so is Maureen Dowd. But it is the combination of shallow thinking and laziness that make him irrelevant.

But worst? Two words: William Safire.

"Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed." General Buck Turgidson

by muledriver on Tue Oct 11, 2005 at 01:05:59 PM PDT

•  William "Prague Connection" Safire (4.00)
        Isn't so much a bad columnist as he is a war criminal. Along with Walter Duranty, Safire was willing to flat out lie for his master, (in Safire's case Bush, in Duranty's case Stalin) despite the death, deception and destruction they caused.

The Book of Revelation is NOT a foreign policy manual.

by Dont Just Stand There on Tue Oct 11, 2005 at 01:26:49 PM PDT

•  I don't think the fact that you consider (none)
          Safire a war criminal reason enough to vault him over Tierney. But I appreciate the good
          effort. ;-)

by muledriver on Tue Oct 11, 2005 at 01:37:30 PM PDT

•  Don'r forget (none)
      Bill Keller, now elevated to editorial eminence.

True, he may not have been quite as bad as Abe I'm-writing-as-bad-as-I-can Rosenthal, but he's definitely in the running.

Death has a tendency to encourage a depressing view of war. -- Donald Rumsfeld

by Mnemosyne on Tue Oct 11, 2005 at 02:04:36 PM PDT

•  I cancelled my print subscription (none)
      and told the customer rep that adding Tierney to the line up and moving Brooks to Sunday was the last straw.

And, no, I wouldn't pay two cents for the online version.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has. -- Margaret Mead

by Cordelia Lear on Tue Oct 11, 2005 at 09:38:31 PM PDT