View Diary: Disgrace to Journalism (250 comments)

•  Gee, thanks Bob (4.00)
    I needed that picture in my head.
    •  How about sharing a bed... (4.00)
      in a federal penitentiary.

Obstructing justice and perjury are still crimes, right?

The Only Constant is Change

by proudprogressiveCA on Sun Oct 16, 2005 at 01:21:48 PM PDT

•  agreed but...why did Millers Lawyer (none)
        go on a show this morning and say "Judy is just a witness" in the case? Is she really free and clear of any indictments. I want her tried, convicted and tossed in Jail for coverup and conspiracy. I also wish Fitzie could nail some of the other "Reporters" you write about. And what's with Judy not knowing who Libby was at the Rodeo? Is anything that comes out of her mouth to be believed. I hope she picks up littered highways for the rest of her life along with being hit on by Mama Matron.

*This site is slower than Bush's reaction on 9/11.*

by Chamonix on Sun Oct 16, 2005 at 01:28:15 PM PDT

•  she is not free and clear (none)
          as I'm sure Bennett knows very well. I see a number of potential charges against her.

Remember, Fitz said much the same thing to Rove's attorney after his third grand jury appearance...

"[I]n all due respect to your profession [journalism], you do a very good job of protecting the leakers." -- Bush on Oct 7, 2003

by QuickSilver on Sun Oct 16, 2005 at 01:46:48 PM PDT

•  Because she made a deal? (none)
          The lawyers could be mistaken, or lying. But I think it's more likely that they actually made a deal with Fitzgerald: An assurance that she won't be prosecuted, in return for her testimony against Libby (and perhaps others).

This ties in to the thoery that she went to jail to protect herself, not her source. Once her lawyers had negotiated immunity, she could testify.

•  This was all too clear, all along. (none)
        The fact that she went to jail simply did not compute. Here's a link to a diary I wrote back in July, dealing with the story St. Judy the Obscure should have filed back in 2003, when she was asked to help out Valerie Plame.
        The fact that she didn't write this story condemns her, and the fact that people were taken in by her and the editors at the NYTimes is laughable.

"I don't do quagmires, and my boss doesn't do nuance."

by SteinL on Sun Oct 16, 2005 at 01:29:28 PM PDT

•  So, Miller, De Lay, Rove and Libby were all in (none)
        adjacent cells in the federal penitentiary.  Miller said . . . .

Fill in the punch line here--I know you're up to the challenge!

•  Obvious (4.00)
          "The roots of aspens really do intertwine, don't they?"

Le peuple en ce jour sans cesse repète: Ah! ça ira, ça ira, ça ira!

by MoDem on Sun Oct 16, 2005 at 02:05:38 PM PDT

•  You Know, That Cryptic 'Aspen' Reference (4.00)
            Becomes less obscure when you remember that Joodles lived with Les Aspin when he was a Congresscritter in the early 1980s, and her articles were full of his pithy wisdom with regards to national security matters.  I would guess this is some veiled reference to something Scooter knows that would cause Miller a great deal of personal or professional embarassment, at the very least, perhaps even open her to additional criminal charges.

See this New York article from June of 2004 for details.

"L'enfer, c'est les autres." - Jean Paul Sartre, Huis Clos

"L'enfer, c'est le GOP!" - JJB, from an idea by oratorio

by JJB on Sun Oct 16, 2005 at 02:59:25 PM PDT

•  "When did Miller fall out of Bed?" (none)
        a great read: analysis in article by William Jackson at CommonD reams. He asks the question: "When did Miller fall out of Bed"

I cited it in another comment but it covers this topic on disgraceful reporting very well.

These reporters and pundits lost my trust during their reporting on Clinton's Whitewater/Monica investigations. Real suckers for whatever mites are in play.

Let's stop feeding greed. In fact, propose we make it a commandment: The greedy shall not be fed.

by idredit on Sun Oct 16, 2005 at 02:04:44 PM PDT

•  Targets of WH leaks no accident (none)
      I think we can surmise that it is no accident that the WH leakers (Rove, Libby, et al.) largely targeted Washington pundits and not reporters, properly anticipating that they would protect their own skins rather than the public's right to know they were being lied to.

They apparently only tripped up because one of them called Walter Pincus, who did his job.

Pincus and fellow WP reporter Jim Vandehei have been the most dogged reporters on this story, and unlike the NY Times management, the Post editors have let them run with it.

•  You bet she's in bed with the neocons. (none)
      Some wingnuts are trying to defend her by claiming that she's a CIA "asset".  Nope -- the CIA wouldn't want her.

She's BushCo/PNAC zampolit:  A political officer assigned to spread the BushCo propaganda.

•  I recall some reports (none)
      that she was sleeping with the soldier in charge of her embedded unit in Iraq and also reports that she has had affairs with other sources.  If this isn't the ultimate breach of journalistic ethics-if true-I don't know what is.

"My job is to protect the American people." George W. Bush. Did he?

by PAprogressive on Sun Oct 16, 2005 at 03:42:17 PM PDT

• Media (23)
  • Economy (23)
  • Politics (22)
  • Texas (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site